Author Topic: The Knutsford Great Race. (Ordinaries)  (Read 27317 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Knutsford Great Race. (Ordinaries)
« Reply #50 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:12:32 pm »
Wow.   :o

Those photos make me want a penny almost as much as I'm glad that I'm not allowed one   ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #51 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:19:54 pm »

It was also good to see the team of 4 young lads on their 27" penny mixing it with the full size machines.

We were overtaken while driving on the A50 westbound yesterday,mid afternoon, by an estate vehicle carrying such a machine on a tow bar mounted cycle carrier.

« Reply #52 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »
The best moment of the day for me was when I overheard some teenagers who obviously spent their time trying to be as cool as possible, saying how it was the weirdest thing they'd been to and one of the best, while they were watching a trad jazz quartet doing a version of 'sunshine of your love' with the pennies whizzing past in the background, past the Bentleys on display.

« Reply #53 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:10:56 pm »
That was a fantastic day out !
Helen and I arrived about 45 minutes after the race started (football went on a bit longer than anticipated and I needed to stop en route to get something, anything, to eat).
We watched the race with some of our cycling mates for about an hour before they set off back and we decided to go for a walk around the course.
Just as we set off walking, there was an almighty crash and 2 riders went down. The organisation was either really good or they'd gone over directly in front of a medical crew. After a few minutes, both riders remounted and continued on their merry way  :thumbsup:.

Near the pit area Phil saw my yACF top and came over to say hello and, from there, we saw Clarion, Butterfly and the forummer formerly known as Superstoker (apologies for not remembering the new name  :-[ ). We met the latter three at Monument at the start of DD last year. It was good to see them again and to meet Phil.
Sadly we then had to get a move on to catch up with our departed colleagues. We met them in the Railway at Mobberley where we joined them in a drink and got talking to some potential new recruits for Chorlton Wanderers.

Edit: Abiding memory of the day:- Charlotte's 1000 yard 200km stare when she was pounding around the track. It even surpasses the goal that I scored when I got the ball deep in defence, dropped my shoulder and..........................

ed_o_brain

« Reply #54 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:42:09 pm »
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I think this should be the next cover of 'Cycle'

Well.. maybe.
I'm sure's there's better.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #55 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:47:14 pm »
Loved it ! can't wait ten more years ! Also that Brompton I've always wanted for no reason what so ever other than ? ' It fits on a train nice' is out of the window, the train window ! I'm going to now get a Penny Farthing'

ed_o_brain

« Reply #56 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:57:09 pm »
I think ordinary racing should become a new national sport.
The atmosphere was really really positive.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #57 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:59:45 pm »
H
I think ordinary racing should become a new national sport.
The atmosphere was really really positive.
You mean racing with penny farthings ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #58 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:06:18 am »
That's a great photo - love the colours and composition.  Definite girl power in evidence today: both our ladies are fierce. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #59 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:15:32 am »
Charlotte and Kat went unto Knutsford.  Being un-pennied and therefore skill-less, I assumed the Choppy Warburton role (minus the strychnine and brandy, natch) and worked the pit.  The course: a 700m tight circuit.  The race: 3 hours, most laps wins.

Kat had previous penny-racing experience in Evandale (Tasmania) so she took the first leg.  They both rode hell for leather and WON THE TEAM RACE with an official 105 laps. 

(it gets complicated around the lap counting: I was counting each lap, so as to call the changeovers before they flagged, so I had notes for 103 laps.  Two free processional laps before the starting gun gives 105. The laps initially announced were well down at 94, so there was some querying...)

That's 72 km!

Did I say starting gun?  Starting Napoleonic freaking cannon.  We felt the shockwave over in the pit lane.

The big boojum on the course was The Czech, Josef, who has Grand Tour palmares and (in legend) faceplanted to get over the line for a win.  A nails nutter who took corners so steep we were all gawping.  Once their blood was up, the ladies were cornering like the Czech -- and unlike the Czech, not riding dangerously and not causing DQ-earning dangerous crashes.  Later in the race, he was taking Charlotte's wheel for a few laps.  There was a respectful nod after it all was over.  There are some awesome photos of Calshot-steep turns at speed.

The buzz in the pit was fantastic: the other teams coming through and swapping bikes or transponders, knackered racers, frantic repairs (the Joffs were being ridden to spokey death; the old bikes just falling apart).  You'd catch urgent imprecations in random languages and accents, the whole thing had a vintage car race.  No pie fight at the end. 

There were a team of young'uns on a 27" repro and they had it nailed.  The charity guys from Spend A Penny were great, and it was neck-and-neck between our girls and the spiffing moustaches right to the end.  We redlined Charlotte for the century lap, swapped over to Kat until the finishing gun, and the two rode a valedictorian lap side-by-side high-fiving through the finish to tumultuous applause. 

The solos, the processional teams -- all awesome.  Dave Brailsford won the solo, with maybe half a dozen serious solo GC contenders (including the DQ'd Czech). In the last hour we'd see these speedy boys being paced and then being taken by Charlotte and Kat; with a pit-lane time of 15 seconds, we could change often, keeping them sprinty-fresh.

The marshalling, course -- awesome.  There's the steward's enquiry to look at yet but we know who won.  :)

Queensbury Rules: We're all friends (penny racing is a small, weird pond), but by crikey, they were in it to win it.  A-game all the way, perfect bikes for the course (the big wheels couldn't accelerate out of the corners), solid experience (London on a penny = coping with race traffic and the pit), exactly the right dose of red mist and a solid strategy. 

Chapeau, Knutsford Great Race 2010 team champs!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #60 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:21:23 am »
Lovely report Anders.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #61 on: 06 September, 2010, 09:40:39 am »
Here's another who thought it was a great day out. You didn't even have to be interested in bikes to enjoy it, it was such a great spectacle.
Well done to the organisers and participants. Everyone one of you made it special.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 06 September, 2010, 09:49:16 am »
A marvellous day - the epitome of steampunk cycling. Indeed, Charlotte in her prime did resemble a steam train.  Kat, too, belied her slight appearance with some fearsome riding and impressive acceleration on some of her overtakes. I have oodles^2 of photos (many just blurs) of our wonderful team and others.

Highlights included:

The young lads who did the whole race on a 27" bike, pedalling furiously (though they did get the hang of getting the feet off the pedals for the short sharp downhill). They were totally focussed for the entire three hours, and I didn't see any adult assistance. Even when tiring, their changeovers were very impressive.

Joff riding solo, with a pith helmet on. Chapeau!

Dennis The Menace egging the crowds on.

The indomitable Lionel, who now has a fan club in Cheshire, it seems, from the roars of applause and general delight as he made his stately but good-humoured, and ever-so-slightly eccentric way around the course.

Spendapenny, the second placed team, with their magnificent costumes and serious face furniture. Despite having never ridden a penny before entering the race, they were brilliant.

Best of all - Charlotte & Kat's utter delight after the race. They seemed almost more excited about the prospect of cake than the win itself, but by jove, they had earned both! :thumbsup:

Special mention to Mr Gates, whose sterling pitwork kept the team moving smoothly.  His transponder fitting at changeover reminded me of an F1 pitstop.  And his careful record of lap times was the key to a challenge to the electronic output.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #63 on: 06 September, 2010, 09:59:13 am »
I should point out that the cake in question was the remains of Marj's fruit cake from Mildenhall.  Still moist & lovely, and restorative for exhausted Ordinary Heroines.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:01:58 am »
I note the results aren't posted on the website.  Is there more scrutineeritisation going on?
Getting there...

« Reply #65 on: 06 September, 2010, 11:46:02 am »
I have nothing to saw other than this just proves that the Charlotte/Kim team are full of awesome.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 06 September, 2010, 11:47:48 am »
While I have no doubt that a team of Charlotte & Kim would be awesome in the right circumstances, it was Charlotte/Kat who were full of win.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: 06 September, 2010, 11:58:40 am »
Executive summary:  We won.

Longer version:  I'm going to have to wait until tonight to start uploading the photos and putting some words together because work is still getting in the way of teh internets.  In my lunch hour, I'm looking at Flickr and wondering if that lunatic going round corners at such astounding angles was really me.

I can't quite believe that we did what we did.  It was an amazing day, made all the more special by the fabulous and marvellous people who we were able to share it with.

It wasn't just Kat and I that won it.  Kat is the most awesome penny rider but both of us needed the skill and flair of our soigneur and photographer, Phil and our directeur sportif, Mr Andy Gates.  Both of them worked their socks off to make sure that we had the best possible chance of riding as hard as we could.  We didn't let them down.

The support from the crowd was magical.  Our cheerleaders were undoubtedly Clarion, Butterfly and TGL (who has an astouding pair of lungs on him for one so young).  Thank you to everyone who cheered us on.  It didn't half help.

As far as I know, the stewards' inquiry is still playing out.  After everyone had gone home and they were packing up the marquee, the guy from Xtra Mile Events who ran the timing system confirmed to me that he'd been back through the data and that we'd definitely won.  He was so embarrassed about fluffing it that he actually bent over and invited me to kick his arse.  You'll be relieved to hear that I conducted myself with dignity and declined...

I shook the hand of the race organiser who apologized, congratulated us and said that the committee was meeting tomorrow night and he'd be in touch.

When this is all sorted out, Kat and I totally want to go up to Knutsford and claim our trophy.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:01:22 pm »
You must!

EDIT: Was the timing done by Artie Fufkin?

Artie Fufkin: [after nobody turns up, at an album-signing promotion] You know what I want you to do? Will you do something for me?
David St. Hubbins: What?
Artie Fufkin: Do me a favor. Just kick my ass, okay? Kick this ass for a man, that's all. Kick my ass. Enjoy. Come on. I'm not asking, I'm telling with this. Kick my ass.
Getting there...

« Reply #69 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:37:15 pm »
:D Massive congratulations to Charlotte and Kat and to your support team for their sterling work.

Shame about all the buggeration over official results, hope to see pics of the trophy very soon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:38:59 pm »
While I have no doubt that a team of Charlotte & Kim would be awesome in the right circumstances, it was Charlotte/Kat who were full of win.

Indeed.  I wasn't there.  I have an alibi.  You can't prove a thing.  Etc.

Though I expect we'd make a respectable team at something involving MAD SCIENCE, trips to A&E, or corrupting innocent people with bikes, perhaps, I'm never going to be that good at actually riding them... Chapeau!

« Reply #71 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »
apologies for the name confusion. I have a pain in the diodes all down my left side, and my primary buffer needs clearing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #72 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »
Congrats to Charlotte and Kim, an outstanding effort there.

I think it is a good job these races are only once every 10 years, it will take me that long to master riding mine.
Just someone's butler

Hilldodger

« Reply #73 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »
So, about a race in Coventry next June, then?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #74 on: 06 September, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »
Congratulations, you nutters!  :thumbsup:  :-*

Those lean angles give me teh FEAR.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: