Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24 hour TT, 20-21 July 2013  (Read 40448 times)

TOBY

• hello
Re: Mersey Roads 24 hour TT, 20-21 July 2013
« Reply #50 on: 27 June, 2013, 04:08:59 pm »
if they let me anywhere near food on LEL it's extra portions in St Ives to those I see marshaling  :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #51 on: 27 June, 2013, 04:21:42 pm »
I'd make the same offer for Pock but I believe we've got pro caterers. 

However, I think there'll be at lest two 24 hour veterans there, so I'm sure we can do you some favours - a few miles of magic spanner perhaps?   ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #52 on: 27 June, 2013, 05:15:12 pm »
Gutted that I am away that weekend - I'd have loved to have helped out. Partly as it would be a lot of fun, and partly to get my head around how it all works with an eye to doing it next season.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #53 on: 28 June, 2013, 07:38:47 am »
Startsheet - 95 solos and 3 tandems.  Eight riders under 30: it seems that 24 hour time trialling is now cool with the kids   ;D

I'm off a minute behind TOBY.  Watch out fella, I'm coming for ya!

[EDIT: In fact, Ian's off 2 minutes behind me too.  Maybe we could all meet up on the road and have a party?]

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #54 on: 28 June, 2013, 08:43:34 am »
Startsheet - 95 solos and 3 tandems.  Eight riders under 30: it seems that 24 hour time trialling is now cool with the kids   ;D

I'm off a minute behind TOBY.  Watch out fella, I'm coming for ya!

[EDIT: In fact, Ian's off 2 minutes behind me too.  Maybe we could all meet up on the road and have a party?]
:thumbsup:
I'm off early, No 4, so I'll get the drinks in...  if you haven't all caught me, that is.  :-[
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #55 on: 28 June, 2013, 11:31:21 am »
Interesting to see Audax Ireland down as a club name. What are the rules about affiliation to CTT for Eire riders? I only ask because it opens up the possibility of a club prize for an avowedly Audax club. Previously Paul O' Donahue has entered for Sorrento. The other clubs are Edinburgh RC and The Royal Navy and Marines.
It'll be interesting to see how John Barkman does. Is he doing the Herenthals 1200?

« Reply #56 on: 28 June, 2013, 11:36:34 am »
It'll be interesting to see how John Barkman does.

Blimey, they've put him at No.9. I think he might be off the front for the first 100 miles untill the Quina Brook circuit.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #57 on: 28 June, 2013, 12:13:52 pm »
Interesting to see Audax Ireland down as a club name. What are the rules about affiliation to CTT for Eire riders? I only ask because it opens up the possibility of a club prize for an avowedly Audax club. Previously Paul O' Donahue has entered for Sorrento. The other clubs are Edinburgh RC and The Royal Navy and Marines.
It'll be interesting to see how John Barkman does. Is he doing the Herenthals 1200?

Twickehnam also has a team (Simon Bever, John Warnock, Ishmael Burdeau), as do Shaftesbury CC (Simon Gent, Richard Parrotte, John Barkman), Derby Mercury (Jim Hopper, Michael Wallis, Bryon Buck) and Born to Bike (Lynne Taylor, Dave Pemberton, Marina Bloom, John Cornfield) if mixed sex teams are allowed (IIRC they're not).

As long as they all finish, I don't see anyone beating that Twickenham team.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #58 on: 28 June, 2013, 12:18:41 pm »
And one of the three Embra Road Club members is on a tandem, paired with a rider from a different club. Does that count - even if he is The Mighty McNasty? ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #59 on: 28 June, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »
And one of the three Embra Road Club members is on a tandem, paired with a rider from a different club. Does that count - even if he is The Mighty McNasty? ???

I'm afraid I'm in a bit of a daze from a combination of sciatica and a gum infection today.
It's good to see such a large field. I'm not sure if a mixed team can win the overall team prize. Walsall won the overall team one year with a female team, so I can't see why a mixed team can't win. It's simply an aggregate of the three longest distances, and female competitors are ranked in the overall on the same basis as males.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 28 June, 2013, 12:53:49 pm »
Interesting to see Audax Ireland down as a club name. What are the rules about affiliation to CTT for Eire riders?

Goodness knows - we need a CTT expert! (There is very often a yank or an irishman riding).

John is indeed on the start list for HCH. Has he done a 24h before? If not, he may spend the event bugging me for advice - I'll have to drop him at some point  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #61 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
Audax Ireland seems to affiliated to Cycling Ireland, which is a one-stop shop for all types of cycling. So may have some reciprocal arrangements with a number of UK bodies.
http://www.audaxireland.org/club/constitution/

It's unclear to me what status time trials have in Scotland, as rules on helmets seem to be diffferent.

HK

« Reply #62 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »
1) a tandem team doesn't have to consist of two members from the same team.  They just need to wear their own club jerseys as apposed to the rules for a team or two up TT where all members must match.  Please note that Maria and Ralph broke the tandem trike record last year, one Antelope / one Born to Bike.

2) from past experience a team is a team.  It can comprise of any sex / machine provided the machine is a solo.  The Derby Mercury won a few years back with Jim on his trike - the only time that a trikie has been part of a winning team and I think Lynne has appeared on winning teams in the past.  However, there is a separate first prize for the women.

3) No Mr B hasn't ridden a 24hr before.  I don't think you will see much of him Mat on Herenthals.  He's going like a train.  Steve's quite correct that for a while he's on a lonely ride that will cause the organisers a bit of a headache.

4) A club can be affiliated to many bodies.  There is no reason why an audax club can't affiliate to racing organisations as well as say touring type organisations.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »
I've just noticed that Mr Barkman has my number from last year. This may be the only similarity between our rides.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #64 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:49:44 pm »
Interesting to see Audax Ireland down as a club name. What are the rules about affiliation to CTT for Eire riders?

Goodness knows - we need a CTT expert! (There is very often a yank or an irishman riding).

John is indeed on the start list for HCH. Has he done a 24h before? If not, he may spend the event bugging me for advice - I'll have to drop him at some point  ::-)

(from talking to him and SwissHat on the Pendle, yes, he will definitely be on the HCH)

;D

Having all these enthusiastic young pups holding you up with their inane questions and less than optimal speed must be such a bore......
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #65 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:57:05 pm »

4) A club can be affiliated to many bodies.  There is no reason why an audax club can't affiliate to racing organisations as well as say touring type organisations.

It can get quite complicated. Blackburn and District CTC are affiliated to CTT, but members who don't live in Blackburn can't ride TTs as members of Blackburn and District CTC. I'd quite like to ride TTs as an Audax UK member, and I'd be happy to pay a supplement, so this Audax Ireland team is of interest.

« Reply #66 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:03:42 pm »
2) from past experience a team is a team.  It can comprise of any sex / machine provided the machine is a solo.

When I first read that I was thinking of James Brown riding a 24 hour TT.
Get up! ;D

Lynne Taylor has been in the winning team at least once, which I know was once an all female team. Probably when they got the ladies team record.
But yes, teams can be mixed.

(There is very often a yank or an irishman riding).

Well, the defending champion, Ultan Coyle, is Irish.
The Irish have often had a rider or two in the last 10-15 years I can remember. I think that the Yanks taking part are down to Hoppo. I think it was him who sorted out the Mersey 24 as a UMCA event (and RAAM qualifier). It was probably why the World Champion chap (who everyone seemed to beat!) rode last year too.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #67 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:18:33 pm »
2) from past experience a team is a team.  It can comprise of any sex / machine provided the machine is a solo.

When I first read that I was thinking of James Brown riding a 24 hour TT.
Get up! ;D
:facepalm:

Well, the defending champion, Ultan Coyle, is Irish.
Yeah, but I think he rides for a UK team - so it doesn't help with Damon's query :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #68 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »
Yeah, but I think he rides for a UK team - so it doesn't help with Damon's query :P

It probably has some relevance for LEL insurance, as if national organisations can cover the insurance aspects of time trials abroad, then Audaxes should fall under the same remit.

« Reply #69 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:31:23 pm »
Yes, Ultan rides (and works) for Rapha.
The Irish contingency has always been Sorrento as far as I remember, not that I pay that much attention.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:39:48 pm »

It probably has some relevance for LEL insurance, as if national organisations can cover the insurance aspects of time trials abroad, then Audaxes should fall under the same remit.

(In the interests of keeping up the 24h Trivia Contest:)

Ultan was an AUK member for both his 24h rides. (In the 2012 season he scored just 7 points.)

/trivia
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #71 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:45:26 pm »

(In the interests of keeping up the 24h Trivia Contest:)

Ultan was an AUK member for both his 24h rides. (In the 2012 season he scored just 7 points.)

/trivia

No points for that piece of trivia, Ultan rode in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:54:49 pm »
Damn  ;D

(I was only trying to help with your insurance fact-finding. And you shoot me down ... )

For completeness: AUKweb shows no rides for him in 2010.
(It's a shame AUKWeb doesn't seem to have a show-complete-history-for-member-xxxx function)

Oh, and it looks like Marina Bloom has ridden the 24 as her only Audax of a season.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #73 on: 28 June, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »
I've just noticed that Mr Barkman has my number from last year. This may be the only similarity between our rides.

RossBD has my old number, I hope he does it proud.

« Reply #74 on: 28 June, 2013, 04:08:13 pm »

RossBD has my old number, I hope he does it proud.
RossBD has done only one ride (a 200km audax) of more than 100km this season. 24hrs will be "interesting" :-\

My numbers so far have been 24, 19, and 22 (just to keep up with Matt's theme of pointless trivia)