Author Topic: Olympics spoilers  (Read 20330 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Olympics spoilers
« Reply #175 on: 23 August, 2008, 11:25:10 am »
Well, what a mess in the TaeKwanDo.
It is simpler than it looks.

ChrisO

« Reply #176 on: 23 August, 2008, 03:06:29 pm »
It's a good illustration of what's wrong with it as an Olympic event.

But they'll never take out the martial arts, because the Asian federations want to win some medals.

It's the politics of sport.

Are they amateur, like the boxers ? I mean in the sense that they could be pros but retain amateur status, not in the sense that there is no professional circuit alternative.

« Reply #177 on: 24 August, 2008, 08:16:20 pm »

I think we're in agreement an all major points. The reason I think the open water swimming is "purer" than pool swimming is that is very close to what the ancient Greeks might have done themselves. The same is not quite true of, say, the marathon because of the existence of modern running shoes.

The ancient Greeks didn't have Speedos :)

I thought the open water swimming was a godd addition too, and not just because GB won medals. I reckon that in 2012 they should hold it in Weymouth though instead of at the rowing lake, which is basically an overgrown swimming pool anyway.

« Reply #178 on: 24 August, 2008, 09:41:52 pm »
The ancient Greeks didn't have Speedos :)

No, they didn't. Nor did they have goggles. Frenchie may contradict me but I don't believe there's as much difference between swimming in speedos and swimming naked as there is between running in Nikes and running naked.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #179 on: 24 August, 2008, 10:02:36 pm »
Swimming naked is fun.  But no goggles is not fun.

But that's not why it's purer.  It's not about trying to be ancient, it's about a simple competition.  The 4x100m medley is a fantastic spectacle, but it is pretty contrived.  "You lot, swim over there, first one wins" is an easy idea.

It's like the difference between the sprint and the Madison.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #180 on: 24 August, 2008, 11:00:10 pm »
Swimming naked is fun.  But no goggles is not fun.

But that's not why it's purer.  It's not about trying to be ancient, it's about a simple competition.  The 4x100m medley is a fantastic spectacle, but it is pretty contrived.  "You lot, swim over there, first one wins" is an easy idea.

It's like the difference between the sprint and the Madison.  :)

The open water swim is a form of competition that is both simple and robust. It's also closer to what the Greeks might have done than today's swimming galas in pools. Both these aspects make it a purer form of competition. Aiming for that Greek ideal of competition is not quite the same thing as trying to be an ancient Greek.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #181 on: 26 August, 2008, 11:32:13 am »
Incidentally, I like Hugh Porter's commentaries but I do wish he'd make a bit more of an effort to get foreign names approximately correct.

Phil Liggett is just as bad, though.  ISTR him pronouncing Andreas Klöden's name three different (and wrong) ways in the course of a single sentence.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime