Author Topic: TdeF 2013  (Read 55356 times)

LEE

Re: TdeF 2013
« Reply #675 on: 23 July, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »

The ANC Halfords team of the 80s seem to have had Maestros, Montegos and a Sherpa van.

Oooeerrr...The sheer glamour of pro cycling.  "Family Magnets" ?

« Reply #676 on: 23 July, 2013, 06:00:45 pm »
Well, in the mid 80s my dad had a Maestro and for christmas I got a Peugeot ANC Halfords "Racer". I loved that bike. Some scrote nicked it in the end though  >:(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #677 on: 23 July, 2013, 06:36:39 pm »

The ANC Halfords team of the 80s seem to have had Maestros, Montegos and a Sherpa van.

Oooeerrr...The sheer glamour of pro cycling.  "Family Magnets" ?

I drove all of those (as originally DS, but then preferred to be soigneur and occasional mechanic, DSing as and when.

The "van was a sort of mini-bus - yes, a Sherpa. The owner of the team (Tony Capper) had it fitted out as a sort of family camper thing for his own use at times, and had a huge water tank just under the roof, which made it roll alarmingly.

The cars were Fords in the main. The main team car was a Granada 3 litre estate. Fabulous power, but drank fuel. I once took it to the Tour of Denmark (a ferry a day!). Through Germany on the autobahn I averaged 100mph, but less than 10 miles/gallon! (bikes on roof, we didn't take a Service de Course van for some reason).

Then, as stated, there was a Peugeot, but also 3 Citroens - 2 estates and a stretched saloon, courtesy of a deal with Tonnisteiner. Lovely cars, brilliant on pave (and on Belgian plates so parking etc was never a problem :demon:.

« Reply #678 on: 23 July, 2013, 07:25:56 pm »
Hope your driving was better than Griffo's  :o
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #679 on: 23 July, 2013, 07:52:32 pm »
Hope your driving was better than Griffo's  :o

On one race I had to drive because the police on the race "banned" him  :)

« Reply #680 on: 23 July, 2013, 11:45:26 pm »
Interesting Kittel-related stuff:

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-rules-uv-light-blood-treatments-in-germany-were-not-doping

Ok it's old news and in the past, but what strikes me about it is, what kind of medical professional would encourage an 18 year old to do something like this to themselves?

« Reply #681 on: 23 July, 2013, 11:51:04 pm »
Interesting Kittel-related stuff:

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-rules-uv-light-blood-treatments-in-germany-were-not-doping

Ok it's old news and in the past, but what strikes me about it is, what kind of medical professional would encourage an 18 year old to do something like this to themselves?

A former DDR one? cf Ullrich.

« Reply #682 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:38:59 am »
Sounds like Heiko Salzwedel's territory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiko_Salzwedel

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #684 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:10:37 am »
And elsewhere, the Cyclingnews forum went offline last Sunday evening, and still is. I'm wondering if Susan (admin) could see a team of expensive lawyers from Sky bearing down on her for some of the stuff posted in the Clinic.....

« Reply #685 on: 25 July, 2013, 10:58:31 am »
And elsewhere, the Cyclingnews forum went offline last Sunday evening, and still is. I'm wondering if Susan (admin) could see a team of expensive lawyers from Sky bearing down on her for some of the stuff posted in the Clinic.....

Nah, its because most of the contributors are in hospital with severe apoplexy after Froome's win, and there'd be no-one to post.

« Reply #686 on: 25 July, 2013, 04:52:48 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #687 on: 25 July, 2013, 05:25:45 pm »
Some good stuff in the latest Secret Pro blog post:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/07/the-secret-pro-post-tour-de-france-edition/

Of course we in the peloton suspect certain riders are doping. We see each other day in and day out, and when some unnamed French team who had some issues in the Dauphine takes the piss out of the rest of the peloton in previous years then is back to normal this Tour and riding with a little less panache, we have to ask the question.

Ouch!  :o

Excellent read. Thanks for the link, spesh.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."