Author Topic: ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported  (Read 14783 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported
« Reply #50 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:27:05 pm »
Tangible advantage is debatable. I can't get bothered about this infraction.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #51 on: 18 June, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »
He did it because he thought it gave him a tangible advantage. 

He then claimed that the DQ was unfair because he didn't know the rules.  I'm not sure when ignorance of both the rules of the road and the rules of the sport because an acceptable excuse, especially given he belongs to a club that promotes a prestigious annual hillclimb, so he was hardly suffering from a dearth of reliable advisers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #52 on: 18 June, 2014, 08:41:34 pm »
Still meh
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #53 on: 19 June, 2014, 10:00:20 am »
I tend to be a follower of rules in AUK events and TTs.    I had to go and buy a lockring for my TT bike when I discovered that CTT rules require one when racing on fixed (no-one's ever checked).   I'd rather comply than risk disqualificiation, particularly when I have invested financial and emotional capital just to get to the startline.

Just over 48hrs to the start.   Forecast still looks pretty good.

« Reply #54 on: 19 June, 2014, 10:28:16 am »
While one could argue that brakes were hardly the most important thing in a hill climb, they are pretty handy for riding down to the start!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #55 on: 20 June, 2014, 10:37:51 am »
 :(

Well my sore throat has developed into a cold.  Not too bad though.  Always worse when you wake up.  I can breath freely, and I am not coughing.

So, I will at least start.  I've invested too much in it, to not at least gain some experiences in riding the 24.  I'd already mentally committed to riding again next year, with support, so I don't want to put off the learning experiences until next year. 

If I feel good, I will keep going - but if it gets to the point where I am doing more damage to myself, then I will pull out. 

Gutted.  I can now see why Dr Hutch talks about avoiding going out etc. in the lead up to competitions - I was at a gathering of family and friends last weekend, so caught the lurgy off someone there no doubt.  First cough/cold in over a year.  Frustrating. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #56 on: 20 June, 2014, 10:41:40 am »
Still time to enter the Mersey if the ESCA doesn't work out.

rob

« Reply #57 on: 20 June, 2014, 10:47:56 am »
Sorry to hear that Marcus.

A few days ago I was unsure I'd get to the start line, but those issues seem to have settled down.   This may be a one-off for me.   I definitely won't ride one next year due to the time that PBP takes up.    As for 2016 - ask me Sunday afternoon, possibly Monday.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 20 June, 2014, 10:49:13 am »
Still time to enter the Mersey if the ESCA doesn't work out.

I'll be in Scotland on the Highlands 1300.

That's life - I'll rock up and see how things go.  I'll learn more about how to ride a 24 even if I am struggling a bit than if I sit at home feeling sorry for myself.

It's not too bad a cold (currently!).
Right! What's next?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 20 June, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »
Just finding out how all the logistics work, and reccying some of the route will be useful.
Even apparently very small things will make your next visit go a lot easier, without noticing it.

Of course hopefully you'll be less ill than you feel, and set a PB ;-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #60 on: 20 June, 2014, 07:14:35 pm »
That's exactly it - if I don't ride tomorrow (and I feel pretty okay - not 100%, but it's not a heavy cold), then it'll be next year before I ride my first one, so possibly 2016 for a second one where I can start to apply the lessons learnt etc.

I will learn a lot tomorrow no doubt and, yep, I am guaranteed a PB even if I am not riding at 100% fitness.

Very excited for it despite the illness. 
Right! What's next?

rob

« Reply #61 on: 22 June, 2014, 04:18:53 pm »
I can't think of a single part of me that doesn't hurt.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #62 on: 22 June, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »
I can't think of a single part of me that doesn't hurt.

That clearly means you put in the right amount of effort :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #63 on: 22 June, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »
Though it shares some similarities with audax, the reality is very different. Nothing even comes close to the mental and physical demands of the 24. It is just brutal. Nowhere to hide.

I am destroyed. I can not walk (not an exaggeration).

Massive respect to the really fast boys and girls and massive thanks to everyone I met, who cheered us all on etc.

I am amazed by what goes into the organisation.

Not sure of official distance yet, but I got what I wanted (600km), just. I went really well for the first half and was on good pace for maybe 400. Then my knee stopped working. The last two hours of the ride were the closest I have ever come to jacking a ride in.

Final thanks to assassin and mrs assassin who handed up bottles saving me quite some time.

I always though I would definitely ride one next year. Currently I am not so sure! So difficult.
Right! What's next?

rob

« Reply #64 on: 22 June, 2014, 05:03:26 pm »
My computer says 409 miles but it has a habit of exaggerating.

My neck fell apart after 22hrs and I couldn't hold my head up. Seen it happen on PBP, but it's never happened to. I spent large sections in the aero position including the fast bit of the night circuit. I maybe should have stopped once I had my 600k but I was so close to the 400 mile target.

Schubert from the High Wycombe won with 517 miles.

rob

« Reply #65 on: 22 June, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »
I hear TO3Y, OTP, has done 495  :thumbsup:

He was going really well. I seemed to see a lot of Ultan but not the other fast boys. Odd how the field spreads out at times.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 22 June, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »

Not sure of official distance yet, but I got what I wanted (600km), just.
I think you can be more specific than that. Put me out of my misery!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #67 on: 22 June, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »
There was a car crash on the Little Horstead circuit which meant they closed it early and moved everyone onto the Broyle Circuit. This might have messed up the calculations a bit.

I'll echo what Marcus and Rob have said above. Except I can walk (after a fashion).
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rob

« Reply #68 on: 22 June, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »
There was a car crash on the Little Horstead circuit which meant they closed it early and moved everyone onto the Broyle Circuit. This might have messed up the calculations a bit.

I'll echo what Marcus and Rob have said above. Except I can walk (after a fashion).

I got caught up around the crash as Ultan caught me.   They sent him back round again and me to the Broyle.   I then had to do 4 Broyle circuits as not everyone had moved over.

I went round Little Horstead 4 times and got caught at the temporary lights each time.   On 7 night circuits I got caught at the temporary traffic lights at Hailsham 6 times.

Chris N

« Reply #69 on: 22 June, 2014, 08:23:12 pm »
I hear TO3Y, OTP, has done 495  :thumbsup:

He reckons more like 465, maybe a bit less.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #70 on: 22 June, 2014, 08:44:19 pm »
Well done Marcus, Rob, Cygnet and Toby!

Does anyone know why Jill packed?

« Reply #71 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:27:00 am »
I'd take the final results with a large pinch of salt! I'm not sure that anyone did get over 500 miles.

Lynne Taylor Biddulph didn't think she rode 449 (I reckon she was on about 420)
I doubt that Marina Bloom got over 400, let alone 410 because I passed her twice and if I got over 400, then it's probably by less than a mile.
Toby reckoned he was on 460-470, which looked about right to me (I reckon closer to 470)
Jonathon Shubert and Ultan weren't sure what they did, so I guess that like Wilko, they ride without computers etc.
Everyone seemed to be a bit down on their distance.
Those traffic lights everywhere didn't help. I reckon I spent about 5-10 minutes stopped at traffic lights.
So it looks like it was a tougher event than usual.

I saw Jill being held up and consoled by her husband, Wilko, on the finish circuit and she looked pretty trashed. I caught a glimpse of her in the morning and she looked like she was having a tough time.
I know I started too quick but kept it going for longer than I thought I could but had to bring myself round after about 10 hours to take the rest of it steady. I was hoping to get about 430 but it became apparent that I wasn't up to that. Then I got the dozies at night, so re-revived myself with caffeine, a snooze and some chocolate and kept it going to the finish. Water was a worry. I thought they'd have some at the feed. They only had it on the night HQ. Managed to get by with what drinks I had until the night circuit then spied a tap in a garage that got me through the last 4 hours. My gear cable slipped so I couldn't get the big chainring with 4 hours to go but I could get to 25mph in the middle ring so instead of stopping to sort it I decided to not stop. It was very touch and go about getting 400, which I might just have done.
 Spent a total of 1hr 10min not moving.

Well done Rob. Looks like we were pretty close and you beat me by a few miles.
If the results show that this event was as tough as I think it might have been then I think that marcus jb could definitely get over 400 miles, especially if he had good help.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #72 on: 23 June, 2014, 11:28:08 am »
My right knee is getting closer to the size of my (non-hurting) left knee and I can walk a bit better, though stairs and getting out of chairs is a challenge.

I learnt a lot.  I sort of enjoyed it!  I've never suffered so much on the bike before.  It went really well until about hour 18-19 when my knee made it's dislike of pedalling more and more apparent. 

I started well, and felt great - my cold was a bit of an issue (sore throat), but I was over 210 miles at 12 hours, 293 miles at 18 hours - things were looking good for my target of 375 miles.  My heart rate and power were pretty much exactly where I had planned. 

My knee was getting worse and worse - I could still pedal, but couldn't get out of the saddle really.  I was also starting to rock on the saddle to take away the pain slightly - this caused some minor irritation in saddle area. 

By the 22nd hour, I was now in agony.  But I am a stubborn idiot.  So I carried on, getting slower and slower.  I still thought I could get the 375 miles, so I pushed on.  In the last hour, I had to stop several times to try and stretch my leg.  I have just about got that distance on my garmin, but I will have to wait and see what the official distance is, as there will be a little extra distance dropping into the night HQ etc.  I'll be upset if I miss out on 6 points in Audax world - but I'll have come very close indeed. 

I was also caught out with water on the finishing circuit, I didn't find Assassin until a couple of times around - so was quite empty by that point.  I guess if I could pick one hole in the organisation, it would have been that.  I was lucky to have the help of Assassin, particularly in the first half, otherwise water would have been an issue for sure.

The atmosphere was great, and it's really nice to have everyone cheering everyone on.  Encouragement from other riders was brilliant as well.  Especially in the last hour, where I must have looked a right mess, rocking away in the saddle at about 10mph. 

It was hilly!  I've recorded over 5000m of climbing in my 600km - though I would take that with a pinch of salt as ever with Garmins going through long rides not being calibrated.  The climb up Deadman's Hill in particular was really quite steep - a lot of the guys on time trial rigs with 12-21 cassettes and big chainrings were struggling to get their bikes up it at times.

Will I do it again?  Maybe.  I think I know what the issues with my knee are/were.  General wisdom is that you need to move saddle forwards and up a few mm when you put aero bars on a road bike.  I followed that wisdom and found that I did a lot of damage to my gentleman's parts.  This was during testing on Audax rides etc. - where you just don't spend enough time on the aero bars in reality.  So, I popped the saddle down again and all was well.  Even as I used the aero bars more and more, I was fine.  But clearly, after 18 hours, my knee had had enough. 

I would love to have a whizzy TT bike - but it's not happening.

I can see the difference support makes - and I can't claim this to be an unsupported ride as Assassin helped a lot and will have saved me quite a few miles.  I think I now understand better how support works and so on.  In the end, I spent just under 2 hours off the bike.  Without knee issues, I could have chopped a fair chunk off that. 

Mentally, it was tough - but mainly because of the pain.  Other than that, I think I coped quite well.  I never felt bored, or in coasting mode - I remained focussed on my goals all the way (possibly to the detriment of my health - I hope my knee is going to sort itself out and not give me long-term issues!). 

All in all, it was great.  It made me realise that Audax isn't ever so difficult - even the hardest rides I've done come nowhere near as challenging at the 24.  Someone commented on my PBP reflective gilet at the night HQ and asked if it was hard - I had to reply that it was a piece of cake compared to this. 
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #73 on: 23 June, 2014, 01:55:27 pm »
It's not my knee!

Prodding and poking it all - I have some dark spots on the back of my calf and a swollen lump on the front of my shin. 

So it's something muscular rather than the joint - which I hope is better news. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #74 on: 23 June, 2014, 02:41:00 pm »
It's not my knee!

Prodding and poking it all - I have some dark spots on the back of my calf and a swollen lump on the front of my shin. 

So it's something muscular rather than the joint - which I hope is better news.

Just ride through it. ;)

Well done old chap. Good ride.