Author Topic: Olympic RR  (Read 17630 times)

Martin

Olympic RR
« on: 26 July, 2016, 10:23:59 pm »
Quick question;

Cav is going for the Omnium even though his best shot is the Mens' RR; and Froome is doing the RR with no hope of gold;

any advice please? BBC is still in Wimbledonland / next season's foopball

Re: Olympic RR
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2016, 10:43:09 pm »
RR is hilly. Cav not suited to terrain.  Cav's best chance of a medal is on the track.

Because RR is hilly, Froome stands a chance.  Nibali was basically using the TdF as training for RR.

TT is also hilly and long TT in Tdf was dress rehearsal for Olympic TT.  Tom Dumolin won the long TT in TdF and was favourite for Olympics, until he crashed out.

Take a look at this:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/olympics/uci-confirm-rio-2016-olympic-road-race-time-trial-courses-148721

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2016, 11:36:08 pm »
I think that we have a RR team where every member is a potential medallist. They have all shown an ability to win over long distances and 'classic' terrain. Three are classic winners, three are stage race winners. All (I think) have won grand tour stages. It is a team where nobody can be let go up the road - our strongest chance yet of an olympic medal.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2016, 12:09:11 am »
Froome is an unknown quantity in one-day racing but some of his moves in the Tour show that he could be worth an each-way bet.

A lot has been said about Cummings and his uncanny knack of winning stages in big races, but there's a big difference between being allowed to go in a break on a stage where the GC contenders aren't threatened and making a solo attack in a one-day race where everyone is after the same prize.

For me, Stannard is the best prospect after what he did at Paris-Roubaix this year, although conditions in Rio will be very different.

Yates could be in with a chance as long as the flamme rouge stays intact.

Thomas will work his arse off for the team but I doubt he'll win it himself.

Actually, I don't think Britain will get a medal in the road race. For me, the ones to watch are Nibali, Van Avermaet and Valverde. Froome has a good chance in the TT though.

No idea about Cav's chances in the Omnium - I have no idea who he is up against.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
Agreed, though the real problem for GB in the RR will be if a break goes and we don't have anyone in it as there will be an expectation on us, as a stronger team, to chase it. Equally if we do get someone into a break then they are likely to be considered one of the stronger riders in the group.

I hope that GT has timed his form right as at the tour he went from being Sky's back-up plan to super domestique very early and wasn't the last of the train in the hills.

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2016, 12:54:49 am »
Agreed, though the real problem for GB in the RR will be if a break goes and we don't have anyone in it as there will be an expectation on us, as a stronger team, to chase it.
As in London.
That's why I think it's good that Cummings has replaced Kennaugh. He's in form, has a good record of getting in the right break, and a good enough record of winning from the break to take the pressure off GB to chase.

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2016, 05:49:03 am »
No radios in Olympic RR which royally buggered GB chances in 2012.

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2016, 01:04:31 pm »
Well that and the fact there was no plan B. It was all about looking after Cav ready for a bunch sprint as per the Worlds the year before. As soon as GB didn't get anyone in the break they were buggered and it became quickly obvious to all of us watching on TV they weren't getting any assistance so they should have realised before it was too late and chased the break down much earlier and let Cav rely on his instinct at the end. Alternatively if one man was in the break then he might have stood a chance had the rest of GB not pulled them back.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
Well that and the fact there was no plan B. It was all about looking after Cav ready for a bunch sprint as per the Worlds the year before. As soon as GB didn't get anyone in the break they were buggered and it became quickly obvious to all of us watching on TV they weren't getting any assistance so they should have realised before it was too late and chased the break down much earlier and let Cav rely on his instinct at the end. Alternatively if one man was in the break then he might have stood a chance had the rest of GB not pulled them back.
Nahhh, it was radios man.

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »
.... and it became quickly obvious to all of us watching on TV they weren't getting any assistance so they should have realised before it was too late and chased the break down much earlier and let Cav rely on his instinct at the end.

I recall the pre-race interviews where David Millar was talking about other teams helping as it was in their interests and I also recall Cav's comments later about the lack of help by other teams and the lack of interest in being in Silver or Bronze position.  The fact other teams did not help Team GB was so obvious.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2016, 04:37:09 pm »
IMHO this sort of event favours a rider who keeps hidden, is a strong climber, has a bit of a kick as a finish, and isn't marked to death.  Cummings and Thomas are good candidates for getting the break but from what I can see of the climb may be dropped by a pure climber.  Froome is a good climber and has a bit of a kick but the TdF will have taken a lot out of him and he will be marked to death.  Adam Yates might have a better chance of hiding away if they are looking at Froome but I'm not sure about his finish.  And Stannard probably isn't a strong enough climber.

Valverde would be an obvious candidate except he will be marked to death and he doesn't tend to deliver the killer blow in major events (hence his string of world podiums)

Uran has kept a low profile, has climbing and TT speed and didn't AFAIK ride the TdF, so its a rider in his mould that I think would do the best.  My outsider pick would be Leopold Konig
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 05 August, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »
The good thing about the GB squad is that they have enough bodies of quality to put a Thomas, Cummings or Stannard in the break and then sit back and wait to see what happens. There is a long run in from the last climb to the finish. There are several other teams who could adopt a similar strategy.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2016, 01:34:06 pm »
Hurrah!  TV's C Boardman returns :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »
Anyone know what channel it is on please? Guide says BBC1 but that is showing rowing??????????????

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #14 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:28:21 pm »
I am watching via BBC app on Amazon Tv stick. The BBC red button service is woeful this time round. Budget cut backs probably.

« Reply #15 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »
Sky 472   which is a BBC red button channel, so if no Sky try red button

« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »
BBC commentator says that whether you can see cycling or not on the red button "depends on the age of your technology".  Currently I think it is showing hockey, a while ago it was women's rugby 7s.

« Reply #17 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:46:51 pm »
Hmm TV is no spring chicken so now watching it live on puter. Commentary seems a bit patchy.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #18 on: 06 August, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
Boardman was excellent for the opening hour I watched it. I love it how he rides routes in civvies on a hire bike. That's how he trialled the Glaswegian Commonwealth route last year.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2016, 04:29:27 pm »
Freeview 608 over here, if you did the pre-Games retune.

If the mechanics have any sense they'll be fitting chain-catchers and a dozen turns of gaffer tape round the bottle cages before the women's race.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2016, 06:00:18 pm »
I think its back on the main channel now.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2016, 06:38:29 pm »
I think its back on the main channel now.
... and I've yet to see any on-screen info apart from
(click to show/hide)

Pathetic. This might actually be worse than in 2012, and worse than the Worlds (both of which look amateurish if you watch any grand tour - so thats about 60 days of coverage , every year, that are better than this once-in-4-years "sporting pinnacle" )

I'm trying to enjoy this, really I am!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2016, 06:46:45 pm »
I am bored! There no scope for attacking as the climbs are just so frigging steep.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 06 August, 2016, 07:27:24 pm »
Crash!
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 06 August, 2016, 07:28:57 pm »