Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 286185 times)

Jakob

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #1800 on: 03 December, 2013, 05:17:45 am »
I've just finished reading 'The Wheelmen' and it's not pretty. What I had forgotten was that not only did Nike not distance itself from Armstrong when USADA stripped him of his titles, they actually defended him!.
I remember being amazed at that stance...common sense would have been to at very least be open to the possibility that the USADA report was true...but then the book also accuses Nike for footing the $500.000 bribe to Verbruggen.

I also don't think that Armstrong will ever truly confess. Even if a Truth and Reconciliation committee should be set up, I doubt he would ever tell the full truth. He would say what he think would be enough and that would be about it.

Another interesting section, was the meeting Armstrong had with USADA (after he was stripped of his titles by UCI). He clearly thought that if he confessed a little bit, they would reduce his ban to a couple of years, maybe less.  USADA offered 8 years, which Armstrong turned down (Not surprisingly).

More sad was the amount of triathlon races who have chosen to drop their ITF  affiliation, so that Armstrong could race.

According to  the book, the whistleblower lawsuit against him looks likely to go ahead...in which case we will see him in a courtroom.

Also, this documentary looks interesting:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/11/08/how-lance-armstrongs-feel-good-documentary-became-the-armstrong-lie/

« Reply #1801 on: 04 December, 2013, 10:26:37 pm »
And in other news, satire dies again...

Jeannie Longo is suing the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) for over €1.1 million. The 55-year-old, whose case was presented before the Conseil d’État in Paris on Monday, has contested her inclusion on the AFLD’s list of targeted athletes in 2012 and 2013, and is also seeking damages relating to the 2011 revelation that she had recorded three whereabouts violations.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jeannie-longo-seeking-eur1-1-million-in-damages-from-afld

I'll say this, she's got balls...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1802 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:58:07 am »
I'll say this, she's got balls...

Like an East German lady shot-putter?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1803 on: 05 December, 2013, 11:08:09 am »
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #1804 on: 10 December, 2013, 08:46:02 pm »
I think Lance has a point - it's really unfair that the USADA should single him out like this.

Why aren't they going after all the other pro cyclists who cheated their way to seven TdF titles while bullying, menacing and basically trying to ruin the lives and careers of anyone who stood in their way?

Just caught up with the latest dozen or so pages from this thread , this is ( in my opinion  ;) ) potd material and not the first potential potd I've seen from citoyen today

« Reply #1805 on: 10 December, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »
This could almost be a 'Caption It'

Working my way up to inferior.

citoyen

« Reply #1806 on: 10 December, 2013, 10:41:09 pm »
Just caught up with the latest dozen or so pages from this thread , this is ( in my opinion  ;) ) potd material and not the first potential potd I've seen from citoyen today

You're too kind - in my opinion.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1807 on: 10 December, 2013, 11:09:27 pm »
This could almost be a 'Caption It'

Wuss don't even give a proper handshake and no eye contact, yes I know it could have happened before and after the snap.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1808 on: 14 December, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
I'm pretty sure that's Armstrong on the left but I don't know who the bloke on the right is.  ???
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1809 on: 14 December, 2013, 10:46:48 am »
Christophe Bassons is the bloke on the right

« Reply #1810 on: 18 December, 2013, 12:24:00 am »
That nice cuddly Mr Verdruggen is all upset.

http://tinyurl.com/kstss69

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1811 on: 18 December, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
Hmm, could you trust either of them as far as you could throw them?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1812 on: 18 December, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's Armstrong Christophe Bassons on the leftright but I don't know who the bloke down and out on the rightleft is.  ???
FTFY
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #1813 on: 02 January, 2014, 04:23:43 pm »
Nicely concise summary of why Lance's apologies can't be taken at face value:

http://theouterline.com/?p=396

« Reply #1814 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »
Very well written, and insightful.

Yet it's not hard to get a sense that most of the dealings are going on behind doors closed to the public.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1815 on: 02 January, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »
Thanks for that link Biff.
As in apartheid, the prevailing system in cycling may have set the tone, but Armstrong’s vengeful actions were deeply personal, not ordered by any higher power – only by his own intent to preserve his wealth and position as cycling’s greatest champion.  This is precisely why his punishment fits the crime.
(my bold)
Nail > head.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1816 on: 10 April, 2014, 05:22:56 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1817 on: 22 April, 2014, 08:28:27 am »
10 year ban for Bruyneel.  He has received the decision with somewhat less than good grace:
http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog/article/statement-johan-bruyneel-regarding-aaa-decision/

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1818 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:20:56 am »
10 year ban for Bruyneel.  He has received the decision with somewhat less than good grace:
http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog/article/statement-johan-bruyneel-regarding-aaa-decision/

I'm not familiar with the relevant laws, but his legal points seem well-made, whatever you think of his contribution to the doping culture. If his offences had been merely criminal and committed entirely outside the USA, as he is not a US citizen or resident, no US-based legal organisation could try, convict and sentence him, which is what has happened here. Any evidence they had would have had to have been confidentially presented to a court which did have jurisdiction over him. I guess he has the readies to dispute this, but I can't help feeling that USADA has exceeded its jurisdiction and remit.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1819 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:35:11 am »
Not according to The Inner Ring: https://twitter.com/inrng/status/458504557715521536

Bruyneel disputes USADA's jurisdiction. UCI under McQuaid tried same argument but WADA Code is clear, Art 15.3 allows USADA to prosecute

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1820 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:41:59 am »
Ok, fair enough I suppose. Still seems odd, but much of sport's oversight is very odd!

fuzzy

« Reply #1821 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:51:10 am »
The only part of his whine I tend to agree with is that the roster for Motorola/ USPS/ Discovery etc. seems to be getting hammered whilst others seem to be getting off lightly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1822 on: 22 April, 2014, 09:54:57 am »
Reminds me a bit of Germany's legal system, whereby if (for example) you are libelled in a newspaper you may sue that newspaper in every German state (Germany being a federation) in which the paper was distributed.  The newspaper has to win in all states to escape penalties, but you just have to win in one for the judgement to apply all over the country.  WADA's system would appear to be similar.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #1823 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:15:37 am »
The situation is quite clear.

USADA is an agent of WADA. UCI are signatories to WADA roolz. Bruyneel is bang to rights. End of.

Anyway, this is sport we're talking about, not a violation of human rights. What happens in a court of law isn't relevant.

The only part of his whine I tend to agree with is that the roster for Motorola/ USPS/ Discovery etc. seems to be getting hammered whilst others seem to be getting off lightly.

How many other teams lied, bullied and cheated their way to seven consecutive TdF wins?

fuzzy

« Reply #1824 on: 22 April, 2014, 10:52:05 am »
The situation is quite clear.

USADA is an agent of WADA. UCI are signatories to WADA roolz. Bruyneel is bang to rights. End of.

Anyway, this is sport we're talking about, not a violation of human rights. What happens in a court of law isn't relevant.

How many other teams lied, bullied and cheated their way to seven consecutive TdF wins?

Apart from the 7 consecutive wins bit, I bet a few teams were involved in a bit of systamatic lying, cheating and possibly bullying.