Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 284933 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bye Lance
« Reply #1450 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:54:54 pm »
If you are without sin. you are allowed to throw stones.......

Sanctimonious nonsense.

The Lance story inspired me to get out of my wheelchair and start riding, when I could have stayed in the chair and become a 'potato'.

I owe him for that, and even if it turned out to be false, it still gave me back my life and self respect.

You've still got the story. Hold on to that. Let the rest of us worry about the truth. (You may be surprised to learn that quite a few people never believed the story in the first place. My own cycling inspiration was Greg Lemond.)

d.
Sanctimonious

I looked it up cos I had no idea what it meant....

'Making a show of being morally better than others, especially hypocritically pious.
(archaic) Holy, devout.'

Obviously you didn't either.......

but your post itself does seem to fit the definition...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Toady

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #1451 on: 18 January, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »
Covering up his use of pharmaceuticals is one thing, but covering up his hair loss is quite another ...

http://deadspin.com/5976198/armstrong-used-rugs-says-cbc-news?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

« Reply #1452 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
I'm very disappointed with Jens's equivocation and sympathy for Lance on cyclingnews.com.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Bye Lance
« Reply #1453 on: 18 January, 2013, 07:32:09 pm »
Good line from Nicole Cooke last night. Complained about all the bastards making more money from cheating, confessing, & being paid to tell all to a ghost writer than she's made from years of bloody hard work & winning prizes without cheating.

As she said, it's not a victim-free crime. Cheats steal from those who don't cheat.

Personally would love to see Nicole as head of UCI. She is capable, intelligent and nobody can argue about her talent. She would also do a lot to bring about better sponsorship, coverage and wages for women's elite cycling. It is absurd that some women's sports get almost equal coverage (tennis, alpine skiing, ice skating, gymnastics, athletics) and others get a very unequal treatment (almost all women's team sports, cycling).

She would be an excellent head of UCI. And she's Welsh ;)
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #1454 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:15:35 pm »
I'm very disappointed with Jens's equivocation and sympathy for Lance on cyclingnews.com.

I think Jens' motives are to encourage people to move on and look at pro cycling as it is now, this year. He's a positive bloke who wants to see the best in people, I don't think this suggests approval.

« Reply #1455 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:26:06 pm »

I think Jens' motives are to encourage people to move on and look at pro cycling as it is now, this year. He's a positive bloke who wants to see the best in people, I don't think this suggests approval.

He's the rider's representative on the UCI Pro Tour council. He is effectively the peleton's shop steward. He's there to represent all the riders, including the ones who doped. His role isn't to enforce the doping regulations, it's to be loyal to his constituency, he can't do that if he is some sort of plaster saint.

« Reply #1456 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:12:24 pm »
I did laugh at the "I never called her fat" comment

« Reply #1457 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:15:58 pm »
Good line from Nicole Cooke last night. Complained about all the bastards making more money from cheating, confessing, & being paid to tell all to a ghost writer than she's made from years of bloody hard work & winning prizes without cheating.

As she said, it's not a victim-free crime. Cheats steal from those who don't cheat.

Personally would love to see Nicole as head of UCI. She is capable, intelligent and nobody can argue about her talent. She would also do a lot to bring about better sponsorship, coverage and wages for women's elite cycling. It is absurd that some women's sports get almost equal coverage (tennis, alpine skiing, ice skating, gymnastics, athletics) and others get a very unequal treatment (almost all women's team sports, cycling).

She would be an excellent head of UCI. And she's Welsh ;)

+1 to all of that.

« Reply #1458 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »
Hasn't got a nice arse though.

Just sayin'

Bye Lance
« Reply #1459 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:36:36 pm »
Having just watched it .... Strikes me as a damage limitation excercise. I don't see geniune remorse or apology for his actions. More a sense of hey i got caught, it was something we all did, and to win the top tours, we had to use doping.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1460 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:05:59 pm »
Suggest you read Tyler's book. Lots of detailed inside info on how they avoided being caught by out-of-competition testing. It wasn't exactly difficult.

You know those "Magic's Greatest Secrets Revealed" programmes where they show you exactly how David Blaine and David Copperfield create their illusions? That's how I felt when I read Tyler's book - so obvious when it's pointed out to you, but at the time you have no chance of seeing through it because of the art of distraction and the patter (in this case the patter being "I have never failed a test").

Jakob

« Reply #1461 on: 19 January, 2013, 02:20:54 am »
Wow. He *deserves* to be able to compete again? He's being harshly punished?

Jakob

« Reply #1462 on: 19 January, 2013, 02:43:42 am »
Aha, he only confessed because of his son... ::-)

Jakob

« Reply #1463 on: 19 January, 2013, 03:02:09 am »
Well, that was a waste of time. Even Oprah didn't seem convinced.

« Reply #1464 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:35:50 am »

Just sayin'

Slightly odd teeth too,it has to be said.  A lot brighter than she looks though..

« Reply #1465 on: 19 January, 2013, 07:57:05 am »
Suggest you read Tyler's book. Lots of detailed inside info on how they avoided being caught by out-of-competition testing. It wasn't exactly difficult.

You know those "Magic's Greatest Secrets Revealed" programmes where they show you exactly how David Blaine and David Copperfield create their illusions? That's how I felt when I read Tyler's book - so obvious when it's pointed out to you, but at the time you have no chance of seeing through it because of the art of distraction and the patter (in this case the patter being "I have never failed a test").

That's the problem ASO, the UCI and the industries that surfed the 'Lance Wave' have. If you were taken in by the whole illusion, then I can see why you might feel betrayed. If you like looking at that sort of machinery, and how it operates, then less so.

LEE

« Reply #1466 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:04:16 am »

Just sayin'

Slightly odd teeth too,it has to be said.  A lot brighter than she looks though..

Leading-edge discussion about women's suitability for high-profile job.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1467 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:31:29 am »

Just sayin'

Well, you popped in to try and stir up a row and it didn't work so then you leave but make sure you get your nasty little jibe in to try and devalue the thread.

Classy. Stay gone.
Just sayin'

« Reply #1468 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:42:39 am »

Just sayin'

Let's not even go there with the woman thing, Paul   :hand:

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1469 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:47:53 am »

Just sayin'

Let's not even go there with the woman thing, Paul

You have no idea how much you reveal about yourself with that last comment, do you?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1470 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:52:19 am »
You know that he is enjoying these responses.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1471 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:56:29 am »
Yep. He's on a wind-up, as per usual.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1472 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:58:50 am »
You know that he enjoying these responses.

+ 1.

I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I heard that LA was getting emotional when he described how his teenage son was defending him  :sick:

As for Nicole Cooke, I think that she is intelligent, a winner and a great exponent of a clean game. She will be a great leader of UCI.

« Reply #1473 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:59:37 am »
Amazingly the next biggest news story in the US is a college football player who lied about having a girlfriend.  Seriously.

« Reply #1474 on: 19 January, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
You know that he enjoying these responses.

+ 1.

I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I heard that LA was getting emotional when he described how his teenage son was defending him  :sick:

As for Nicole Cooke, I think that she is intelligent, a winner and a great exponent of a clean game. She will be a great leader of UCI.

Maybe a look at her record of managing other people and of working in a team might be helpful prior to the appointment?