Author Topic: What to do in Livingston / Edinburgh?  (Read 4896 times)

What to do in Livingston / Edinburgh?
« on: 05 November, 2008, 06:57:23 pm »
Work are sending me to Livingston (Scotland) on a weekly commuting basis till the end of the month. So what is there to do in an evening in Livingston for a tee total cyclist who will be without a bike?

Alternatively we are working on getting the accommodation moved to Edinburgh so if successful what is there to do in Edinburgh?

As this could continue till the end of the month a number of suggestions would be appreciated.

Matthew

Re: What to do in Livingston / Edinburgh?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2008, 08:30:47 pm »
Livingston. :o There's bugger all to do through there mate. I'd work a bit harder on getting the accomodation in Edinburgh if I were you.  :P

Loads to do in Edinburgh though.

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2008, 08:43:36 pm »
+1 to wot kyuss said.

You'd die of boredom in Livingston in one night, you'd lose the will to live after a month
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2008, 09:22:59 pm »
And if anywhere's going to drive you to drink, it's Livingston! Do your best to get into Edinburgh, definitely.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2008, 09:36:38 pm »
Blag a bike. Just do it.

Don't know where your normal base is but a bike will make a lot of nice places accessible.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »
blimey, livingstone is awful. I used to spend a week a month there and It's so bad, I used to stay in Bathgate (in the dreadnaught hotel :D) which at least had a few different places to eat.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:16:19 pm »
don't listen to them, Livingston's lovely. There are lots of roundabouts and a 24 hour garage!

« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:17:45 pm »
The Endura factory is based in Livingstone.  You can go and stand outside. 

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:24:50 am »
If you can get hold of a bike there's some quite good (moderately hilly/rolling) cycling to be had in the lanes out past Polbeth & West Calder (south/ south west ish).   This assumes that you'll have some daylight to cycle in of course...

Have to agree Livingston is truly dire. I lived in Pumpherston when I was a kid.  Livingston was not long built, it was dire then and it hadn't improved the last time I visited.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:26:46 am »
blimey, livingstone is awful.

I lived nearby for a short while and hated it too. With a bike or some running shoes (and a car) there are a few things to do though.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:31:22 am »
The Endura factory is based in Livingstone.  You can go and stand outside. 

you reminded me of the only good thing I found in Livingstone - there used to be a Russell Athletic factory shop which sold end of line stuff for about 20% of shop price.  I think I still have some gym t shirts left from 15 years ago.  Might there be an Endura factory shop?

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:02:39 am »
I worked in Livingston for 6 months or so about 15 years ago.  It was the pits and I've no reason to believe its improved.  For your own sanity, get accommodation in Edinburgh!!!

« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:05:48 am »
Jesus, was that 15 years ago?

Oh my.

but yes, it's a grotty wee town. Some good bike paths, mind you!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2008, 09:20:21 am »
The best thing to do in Livingstone is get out of there and head to Edinburgh. There's so much to do in Edinburgh you'll be annoyed it's only a month. And so many yacfers to meet.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2008, 09:51:47 pm »
Well I had one night in Livingston.

Next week I am in a hotel in Edinburgh and commuting (by car unfortunately) to Livingston.

However if I see much more than the Airport, the office, the hotel and possibly a restaurant I will be pleasantly surprised.

Matthew