Author Topic: What would you do if you had a time machine?  (Read 5770 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
What would you do if you had a time machine?
« on: 31 January, 2009, 02:40:53 pm »
I have to admit that most of what I would do is extremely shallow.

I'd go back to 1977-1988 and do my best to have very raunchy sex with Harrison Ford when he was at his most magnificent. And then I'd mainly go see all the bands I never got to see - Ike and Tina Turner with the Ikettes, Queen (on every tour), the Beatles, the Rolling Stones when they were young, Elvis, Sam Cooke, all the Stax-Volt people, Aretha etc.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: What would you do if you had a time machine?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2009, 02:45:38 pm »
Go visit Jerusalem AD 30 Easter. See what all the fuss is about. Have a chat with Aristotle (would have to take an Interpretor of course).  Visit my Grandad who's voice I can no longer remember (I was three when he died). Stick a video camera on the grassy knoll pointing at that window.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2009, 02:53:38 pm »
I'd like to go back to Saturday 1.30pm on 8th December 1984 the day I got married

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:25:08 pm »
I'd go back to 1960 and fail my 11+.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »
I would like to go forward to about 2100AD to see how climate change is panning out.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »
Hunt dinosaurs.

Kill Hitler.

The usual. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Really Ancien

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:37:09 pm »
Sell tours, this is assuming that this is a machine for time and space travel.
Happy though I am, living in beautiful downtown Farington Moss, the only interesting thing that has ever happened was when a German Bomber got damaged by flak from Leyland Motors and ditched its bombs, killing a family of my Dad's cousins. Hard to sell that as a holiday destination.

Damon.

gonzo

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:38:23 pm »
I'd love to find out who'd win if I released a modern tank at the battle of Hastings!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:57:12 pm »
Hunt dinosaurs.

Kill Hitler.

Wouldn't it be strange to Kill Hitler and Stalin (preferably as infants) and return to 2009 and find thing were worse?  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2009, 04:16:28 pm »
I'd love to find out who'd win if I released a modern tank at the battle of Hastings!
It wouldn't even need to fire a shot could just run over the Normans. I've always wondered what would happen if you let loose a Squadron of modern fighter jets into one of the really big scraps of the Battle of Britain. They would use up their missiles really quickly but how much damage would they do with cannon ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »
I saw something recently where the newest american F-model plane was flown in a training exercise, took on 4 migs and won!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:11:57 pm »
It wouldn't even need to fire a shot could just run over the Normans. I've always wondered what would happen if you let loose a Squadron of modern fighter jets into one of the really big scraps of the Battle of Britain. They would use up their missiles really quickly but how much damage would they do with cannon ?

It would run out of fuel and the occupants would starve to death or be butchered.

Did Gonzo state which side he'd be playing for with the tank?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:18:51 pm »
Go and watch the big bang?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
I'd go back and kill my grandfather, just to see what happens :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »
You could do that without a time machine. If he's still alive.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

gordon taylor

« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:30:46 pm »
I'm shallow, so I'd go forward a few hours to find out the lottery numbers, then come back and buy a ticket.  :-[

Every weekend!!!!!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:36:21 pm »
I'd go back and kill my grandfather, just to see what happens :demon:

You could do that without a time machine. If he's still alive.

I couldn't, both of mine died before I was around.

« Reply #17 on: 01 February, 2009, 05:30:39 pm »
I think I'd simply go back and pay attention in school, and not be such an idle and obstreperous little bugger.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2009, 09:03:56 pm »
I would go back to 1996 and make sure I kept the Beetle and not got the Suz**i back!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2009, 09:52:02 pm »
I'd go back five minutes to remind myself what I was supposed to be doing.

« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2009, 09:56:13 pm »
I'd go back to 1969 and then 1970 to stand in the front row at those Isle of Wight pop festivals.  I was 14 and my Mum wouldn't let me go.  I missed Dylan, Hendrix and so much more  :(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:19:02 pm »
Hunt dinosaurs.

Kill Hitler.

Wouldn't it be strange to Kill Hitler and Stalin (preferably as infants) and return to 2009 and find thing were worse?  :-\

I'd take the risk.

I'm shallow, so I'd go forward a few hours to find out the lottery numbers, then come back and buy a ticket. 

This is how we can prove that time-travel is impossible: If you had one, you'd do this and use the winnings to FUND BUILDING A TIME MACHINE.  That you haven't come back with the winnings to start the project, it's because the project cannot be done...  or that you're a rubbish scientist.  ;)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:22:14 pm »
Clapham Junction 'A' Signalbox, early hours of 12th December 1988.  To cut back that rogue wire.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:12:55 pm »
Hunt dinosaurs.

Kill Hitler.

I'd take the risk.

I'm shallow, so I'd go forward a few hours to find out the lottery numbers, then come back and buy a ticket. 

@@This is how we can prove that time-travel is impossible:@@ If you had one, you'd do this and use the winnings to FUND BUILDING A TIME MACHINE.  That you haven't come back with the winnings to start the project, it's because the project cannot be done...  or that you're a rubbish scientist.  ;)

The Hitler one is a close call, we were talking about this at work a few weeks ago because if he had been killed some of the more intelligent people around him may have taken charge for a different outcome.
 The fact that he was a total nutcase was part of his downfall IMO

@@ Wasn't that part of the modern version of the Time Machine?@@

No matter how many times he went back to save his fiance she died because out that grief and commitment to build a Time machine he would not have succeeded.

I'm with Gordy and the Lottery numbers, sod funding a time machine it will be n+ many  :thumbsup:

"Don't stop pedalling"

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
Without Hitler the Germans might have won, but I don't think that the Nazi evil would have done what it did: that was very much charismatically led. 

I would consider an Imperial Germany that did better, maybe even won WW2, to be an acceptable tradeoff against the Holocaust.  There's nothing wrong with Germany or Germans, it was the Nazis that were the seed around which the horror grew.  Hell, we already have a German monarchy ;)