Author Topic: What to do in Washington D. C.  (Read 1311 times)

What to do in Washington D. C.
« on: 07 August, 2009, 11:12:42 pm »
I may have a day free in Washington D. C. or I may stay in Denver and just chill in the city. What is there to do in Washington for someone who hasn't been before ? Interested in science and technology. If I was in London I'd visit the Science Museum before the Natural History Museum.

Re: What to do in Washington D. C.
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2009, 11:15:09 pm »
The smithsonian of course!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2009, 02:51:47 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2009, 02:58:51 pm »
I was there in feb08, met up with Scott Of This Place and he showed me the Smithsonian & the general environs.  Superb.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »
Just make sure you have a lightwight sleeping bag with you.

Oh, hold on.

I thought you meant Washingborough.

H

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2009, 03:31:40 pm »
A year ago I would have said "try and assassinate the President"  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

spen666

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2009, 11:56:05 am »
A year ago I would have said "try and assassinate the President"  ;)

No reason to change your advice

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2009, 12:12:36 pm »
The smithsonian of course!

Specifically the National Air and Space Museum, which is one of nineteen bits of the Smithsonian, although the most popular.

There used to be (and may still be) a bit of moon rock, returned by one of the Apollo missions, in the entrance to the museum, that you could actually touch. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »
The Air and Space museum is halfway down on the walk from the Capitol to the White House. If you are interested in space travel, you HAVE to go see it. The Apollo 11 Command Module, a training Lunar Module, rocks, space suits etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »
I did a bit of web research on the Air & Space Museum and it seems it's on two sites, one with big planes in. I think I'll see at least one site. One site is near the airport, I wonder if I can get a late flight and spend a day there on my way home,

« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »
More than two sites, ownership of the Viking 1 Lander was transferred to the Air and Space Museum by NASA some years back, although I don't think they've got a formal display up on Mars yet. ;D

If you manage to see that particular item, I'll be impressed!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works ... I thought the Air & Space place (the downtown one in the Smithsonian complex) was dated abd poor - and overrun with brash American kids shouting "awesome"

THE museum has to be the Newseum that opened in 2008 - what it says, a museum about News and its reporting through all media ... including some very moving exhibits about 9-11.  Fascinating .. and a great photo-opportunity from the roof-top terrace

... and why not take the bus tour to make sure you see all the important stuff in the city if you just have the 1 day?

Rob

PS - don't change into your cycling jersey outside the White House as I did (for a MacRide promo shot) - the security guys got quite excited!!

« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »
Well, it's over a decade since I was there, so things may have changed.

DC has to be a bit like London, there's plenty to do, you can't throw a brick without hitting something of interest, it just choosing what's the best use of your time.

I spent a short time at the Arlington Cemetery, which was interesting, although we did seem to confuse some USAians, since we walked there from the Mall, and I don't think saw another pedestrian in that short distance, the couple of cyclists we met didn't seem to be prepared for the sight of someone walking around there!

I guess it's also worth having a look at things like the reflecting pool, and the memorials around the Mall, as well as obviously having a peer at the Whitehouse.  When we were there, we didn't even attempt to do the Washington Monument, since it was one of the hottest and most humid August's at the time, and the interior would have been horribly hot and unpleasant.

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »
Not technology related, but the Vietnam memorial is terribly moving.
Why not?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14 on: 11 August, 2009, 09:00:54 am »
Not technology related, but the Vietnam memorial is terribly moving.

Indeed - as is the Iwo Jima one and the Roosevelt place with all the bronze statues.

As someone said up-thread, DC has as many "sights" as London - we stayed for 5 nights (at the edge of Georgetown, near Watergate and GWU) and had probably the best "city" holiday ever.

Rob

fuzzy

« Reply #15 on: 11 August, 2009, 01:03:37 pm »
The FBI Tour at the J Edgar Hoover buiolding is quite interesting (well it was for this Cop). I enjoyed the Smithsonian bit where the command module and Chuck Jaegers first supersonic plan (X1?) his suspended from the ceiling. Kids going "Coooool" just enhanced it for me.

The Vietnam Memorial is a very sobering experience and I also felt quite peaceful sitting on the steps of the Lincolm Memorial, looking up towards The Capitol.

I would also recommend Arlington National Cemetary. Being an Apollophile, I tried to locate the graves of  'Gus' Grissom and  Roger Chaffe but ran out of time. Their is a daily ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is very well attended and solmn. Not the same sense of ceremony as I was used to being ex UK military but very demonstrative of the American sense of patriotism.