Author Topic: Football or athletics or both?  (Read 5431 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Football or athletics or both?
« Reply #50 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:35:47 am »
I'm not exactly sure which your home town is, or I would be doing ;)

All I'm objecting to is the London-centric arrogance that meant we had to bid for the Olympics for here, despite no facilities and not enough money to pay for them, when, up the road, in a backward little village full of Neanderthals, there was an entire set of venues clustered together which had already hosted a major international sporting event.

I don't think that the Commonwealth Games bid was a good idea, but at least Manchester made a better job of it than the monumental (and predictable) cock up currently happening in Lahndan.
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:45:21 am »
I don't think that the Commonwealth Games bid was a good idea, but at least Manchester made a better job of it than the monumental (and predictable) cock up currently happening in Lahndan.

What's cocked up? Everything is fine. I'll bet you a fiver that all will be well come 2012....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #52 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:54:49 am »
I'm one of the few here, who is pro the Olympics*, driving along the A13 it does look impressive. There is a lot of investment going into Stratford, the new Westfield etc, however Tottenham are North London, it makes no sense for them to move East. Let West Ham have it, and allow the stadium to be a monument to the Olympics.

However next to Anish Kapoors sculpture, any stadium will look plain.

Don't forget that Crossrail will make East London a lot more accessible for everyone.

The London Marathon shows that population of East London will get behind major sporting events.

*I'm also getting a bit giddy about the royal wedding

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:59:01 am »
The lack of a world-class velodrome in this 'ere Londonton has been positively embarrassing when conversing with FOREIGNS so on this basis alone the Oh limp pricks are a Good Thing ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 25 January, 2011, 12:15:13 pm »
That, tho I am of the mind that more could be done with Erne Ill
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 25 January, 2011, 12:16:29 pm »

What's cocked up? Everything is fine. I'll bet you a fiver that all will be well come 2012....
A recent survey found that 11% of Indians asked were unaware their country had even hosted the Commonwealth Games. I wonder how many BRITONS will remain in blissful ignorance?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 25 January, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
there was an interesting piece in the Stannit about this tonite; basically pro the Spurs bid as the author (Simon Jenkins) reckoned WH had no hope of making a success of the idea, were going to be relegated anyway; and if an Olympic stylee athletics stadium was ever needed in the near future they could just take the required rows of seats out of the new fangled (and designed to be so converted) Wemberly, otherwise all those athletics weirdos can just go off to Sydenham where the newly extended Overground can happily cope with them.

The whole idea that Spurs (my team btw) should be able to stroll in and raze the place for their own ends seems obscene to me but let's face it ex-Olympic stadia don't have a good track record on this score.

fuzzy

« Reply #57 on: 26 January, 2011, 09:05:41 am »
West Hame is, perversly, in East Lundahn.

Tottingham Hotspur is in Norf Lundahn.

Relocating Tottingham will have a majorly negative effect on the White Hart Lane environs. This area has already been seriously affected by Tottingham Hotspur PLC Co. buying up a lot of surrounding properties to allow them to flatten them and expand. Why not stick with their original plan?

I love White Hart Lane BTW. One of my favourite grounds to visit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:51:10 am »
The Woolwich Arsenal, surprisingly, remains in Woolwich, which is stubbornly Sarf of the river, and has no plans to relocate in an upwardly mobile fashion to Islington.

Mind you, on a similar theme, I am given to understand that Manchecestershire United started in the neighbouring City of Salford.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #59 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
A cow-orker (and West Ham fan) has just suggested a compromise - WHU take it over and relocate the athletics track to the roof ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:01:56 am »
West Ham haven't actually played foopball for many years, so a running track would be just fine.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #61 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:25:24 am »
West Ham haven't actually played foopball for many years, so a running track would be just fine.

Well, something exciting happened at Upton Park a few weeks ago - I actually heard cheering a few times.  As this is such a rare occurrence at Upton Park, such events are very much noticed.  Playing devil's advocate, it could have been a well attended game of conkers (not sure if they hire the place out for other events).

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: