Author Topic: What would you tell your 18 year old self.....  (Read 4715 times)

essexian

What would you tell your 18 year old self.....
« on: 28 April, 2012, 11:44:58 am »
If you had a time machine and could go back and do so....

Been doing a little introspective thinking about my life recently and wondering what I could have done better: could do better in the future; whatever amount of time I have left, all caused by the fact that its six months next week since my Mum died.

So I was wondering what I would tell my 18 year old self, if I had the chance to go back and do so. So far, I have come up with these:

1). Go on, ask her out! She will say yes (she told me 25 years later that she got fed up of waiting for me to ask, hence the reason she married the bloke she eventually did, living to regret the decision). Okay, it may have only lasted a month, or a year or more, but at least you won’t spend most of your twenties fretting over the “one who got away”! Oh and you do eventually meet the right women for you but you have to move to Shropshire to do it (I had no idea where Shropshire was back then!)

2). Yes, you didn’t do as well at school due to being “slow” in English but don’t worry, “they” invent computers and spell checkers meaning eventually you will reach your level. Indeed, believe me when I say you will do a hell of a lot better than your brothers and sisters when it comes to education and wealth generation. Stick in there and don't become a milkman as you planned.

3). Try to interact with people a little more as it will help you in social situations later in life: people won’t see you as a loner and might actually get to like you…yes, I know, unlikely.

4). Listen out for music by Stephen Patrick, JimBob and Fruitbat. These people will write the soundtrack to your life. Get out and enjoy it.

5). That diet you are always going to start. Do so. You really don’t want to spend later life lugging additional weight around: oh and cycle more…. You look good in lyrca (okay, this is a lie but hey, I can dream).

So, if you could give your 18 year olds some pointers, what would they be?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: What would you tell your 18 year old self.....
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2012, 11:58:22 am »
Don't worry about all of those boys and men. You will be 40 before you meet the man of your dreams.  ;D Also, don't let your dad give your sledge away.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

AndyK

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2012, 11:58:47 am »
What others think of you is not at all important. If there is something you want to say, try, do, be, then do it. Only a fool doesn't do what they want because of others' opinion of them. And don't ever just run with the herd, or go along with something just because your friends are saying/doing it. Always think and decide for yourself.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:02:25 pm »
30, 3, 5, 44, 14, 22!       ;D :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:08:50 pm »
Don't worry about all of those boys and men. You will be 40 before you meet the man of your dreams.  ;D Also, don't let your dad give your sledge away.
Was it called Rosebud?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:14:24 pm »
My 18 year old self wouldn't listen to a 44 year old twat from the future.

If I went back to offer my 18 year old self some advice I'm sure my 18 year old self would say- if you can travel in time, why bother me. Go do something useful, go back and kill hitler. Or bet on something so you can collect the winnings and buy all his paintings and change the course of his life.

AndyK

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:32:02 pm »
Almost forgot. It's ok to say "No".

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:35:03 pm »
If you had a time machine and could go back and do so....

3). Try to interact with people a little more as it will help you in social situations later in life: people won’t see you as a loner and might actually get to like you…yes, I know, unlikely.

So, if you could give your 18 year olds some pointers, what would they be?
3.  Definitely 3.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »
Invest in gold !
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:45:25 pm »
Invest in microsoft!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:48:55 pm »
Invest in Apple!!!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2012, 12:54:47 pm »
I've thought of this before, too. Unfortunately my conclusion wouldn't really have helped me:

Don't do the thinking for other people. You will get it wrong.

Do your best when you have to make big decisions, but if you define your decisions by what you think other people think you will fail.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2012, 01:07:21 pm »
I assume "Have more sex" is a given?

Also "Don't do a chemical engineering degree; you will hate it and you will have forgotten everything, except vaguely what a Reynolds number, is by the time you're 22".

I wouldn't necessarily have chosen a different career path though.  I could be doing more exciting things but you can't argue with a good salary, relatively low stress* plus 22 years, and counting, in a final salary pension scheme.  Some day this war's gonna end, as Colonel Kilgore said, and then I can do something I want to.

*due to my ability to churn stuff out on time with about a third the effort of everyone else, it seems; I tend to assume everything is do-able and it always is, whereas everyone else spends too much time worrying about how they're going to manage.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LindaG

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2012, 01:34:33 pm »
re: Men.  You are not the one who should be grateful.   ::-)

re: your family.  It really is them, not you.

re: being 'abnormal'.  This is a really great thing to be.  Revel in it, don't fight against it.

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2012, 02:03:07 pm »
30, 3, 5, 44, 14, 22!       ;D :thumbsup:

You'd have a lot of money. Probably enough to start building yourself a time machine.

« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2012, 03:57:37 pm »
Don't waste a small fortune on psychotherapists, as every one of them will diagnose you differently and you'll just end up even more mixed up. Some people will like you and some just won't. And all the regular stuff, like trust in your instincts and have the courage to follow through with them.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #16 on: 28 April, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »
In the future, when you see a thread called "What would you tell your 18 year old self....." DON'T READ IT!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #17 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:03:44 pm »
Leave Birmingham
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #18 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »
dont spend your year before university working in an offlicence, you'll drink everything you earn.   Travel instead, the world's great!

« Reply #19 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:10:12 pm »
Edit:  Removed by me because I lowered the tone of what seems to be a more serious discussion.  Sorry!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #20 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »
Don't start smoking.

Don't stop cycling.

I'm not sure anything else matters - I've made some monumental screw ups in my life, but none of them have the same long-lasting impact as these two - especially the first.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21 on: 28 April, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »
Get your damned driving licence now while you can afford it.

Get a car and get proper advice on how not to break yourself thinking you can do what normal people do - you can't and you'll break trying and regret it forever. The doctors are fobbing you off cos they're scared. Dad has private medical insurance, use it.

I wouldn't change anything else, all of my big mistakes have had uses later on.  The chemistry degree which was bonkers at least means I'm not scared of the science depts at work and I can speak their language which gets them to STFU and do as I recommend.  (And they don't have 6 hour labs like I did). 

The horrible investment banking job showed me very clearly what I don't want to do and I can scare people with my (not that great but) excel skillz.  That and "you, worked in investment banking and they didn't think you were weird"? (they did).

I am the person I am because of my mistakes and wrong turnings.

« Reply #22 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »
Knuckle down, get those A levels and go to uni now, don't wait until I have to pay for it.   

Geography?  Nah, I'm going to be a lawyer.   

Get married?   Listen to what mother is trying to tell you me.   

John Henry

« Reply #23 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »

I am the person I am because of my mistakes and wrong turnings.

Yeah, this.

And tbh the 38 year old me could probably learn a bit from the 18 year old me. Getting older doesn't always mean getting better and wiser!

« Reply #24 on: 28 April, 2012, 09:34:19 pm »
This
re: Men.  You are not the one who should be grateful.   ::-)
This
Don't stop cycling.
and
Look around you. Do you really need those idiots to like you?