Author Topic: New Trike  (Read 6580 times)

Re: New Trike
« Reply #25 on: 10 December, 2014, 11:01:11 pm »
Well, it arrived at 1 o'clock, three boxes!
It is pretty much a construction kit but with a comprehensive instruction manual so there was no major drama.
I have left all the lighting wiring long and will tidy it up once I am sure that I have the boom length correct.
With the rear light mounted on the rack, I will have to put additional connectors in the wiring to facilitate rack removal when folding. Not that I envisage doing that very often.
The Radical trailer is a very nice piece of kit, however, the bracket that attaches to the rear wheel qr will require a little fine molishing to fit correctly.
Family duties call tomorrow so test riding will have to wait untill the weekend.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 10 December, 2014, 11:47:47 pm »
There's minimal benefit to removing the rear rack while folding, unless this is the 26" model.

Oh, haven't they redesigned the racks?  Maybe there is.  Pain in the arse if so...

« Reply #27 on: 11 December, 2014, 02:09:31 am »
I've just seen a picture of the new rack on ICE's home page.
It looks more like the rack on my old Q than the one on my Sprint by attaching to the frame and the seat, not the frame and rear triangle.
If so you may well have to remove it when you take the seat off like I did on the Q.
It was a PITA.
It also looks like the top of the rack is higher off the ground and further forward than my rack.

« Reply #28 on: 11 December, 2014, 05:33:28 am »
Retrograde step if that's the case, I put an expedition rack on my Sprint 26 and have to drop a front mudguard (with bracket) off to get it to fold relatively neatly, Barbara's with (then) standard rack folds neatly with no need to bugger about.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #29 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:15:09 am »
Maybe, maybe not.
The bushes on my rack are quite worn due to weight I carry on it while on tour.
So now I've taken the weight off it after the tour, it rattles badly.
That won't happen with the new model.
Just a PITA if you fold it often.

Plus, I'm not to sure if it will actually fit a Sprint with a hard shell seat at it's most reclined like mine. the angles/distances between the rack and the seat may be wrong

« Reply #30 on: 11 December, 2014, 09:50:57 am »
Yes, the rack and seat have to come off to fold. Not a problem if you are just loading into a car but a complete pain for train transport, you would require your own band of porters.
Not to worry though, I bought it to ride, not carry it about!

« Reply #31 on: 11 December, 2014, 01:33:53 pm »
Living 200 plus miles from my favourite trikling area in Yorkshire around Settle - Malham the ability to heave the pair of em into the back of an estate car without to much faffing suddenly takes a step or two up the requirements list.
         I am wondering what is with ICE at times, please do not misunderstand, I reckon our trikes (both 26 Sprints with the older NT main frames) are the best but they seem to change things that can be quite handy, the NT frame is one, made wider after making the NT frames ease of access to narrow places a main selling point and now they make the actions of folding more inconvenient after making that a big selling point (remember the video on their site with the older style folder).
         ICE (and Kevin) are very approachable and sort the odd rare problem that might occur like, well, yesterday but these niggles take the edge off for me.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #32 on: 11 December, 2014, 07:56:36 pm »
I wonder if it's about stability when carrying heavy loads. I have the old-style Sprint rack which folds as part of the whole thing but when I am carrying heavy panniers there's lots of creaking and swaying.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:28:29 pm »
I wonder if it's about stability when carrying heavy loads. I have the old-style Sprint rack which folds as part of the whole thing but when I am carrying heavy panniers there's lots of creaking and swaying.

Similarly with barkata's battery pack (though the swaying's not as obvious with that as it is with large panniers).  The partially-suspended rack arrangement does make for a lot of movement, even when the bushings are new.  It doesn't seem to have a problem carrying the weight, though.

« Reply #34 on: 11 December, 2014, 08:54:21 pm »
You are probably correct, the new rack is extremely stiff and robust.
For anyone needing to transport by car or train though, it will add to the faffage.
I intend to make a lightweight piggyback trailer that will carry both trikes one above the other for the rare occasions when we need to transport by car.

« Reply #35 on: 15 December, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »
From the photos, the gap between the rigid back end and the rack now looks the same as the gap between the sus back end and rack.
As the Fat trike's back end which fits a 26" wheel has suspension, I'm thinking that they've made the new rack that way so that if they do start selling the new 26" back-end with suspension, it will still fit.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 15 December, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
I've only just noticed this thread. Very exciting!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 15 December, 2014, 05:35:46 pm »
TTI, however, UWP

« Reply #38 on: 15 December, 2014, 07:11:33 pm »
Another shakedown ride tomorrow in the company of Canardly otp.
Once I am happy with all adjustments, I can finalise the wiring and trim it all to length and get it all weatherproof.

« Reply #39 on: 16 December, 2014, 11:47:10 am »
Re the new racks (for 2015) In fact they fit lower alongside the rear wheel and below the upper rimline and do not have a top load section to achieve the optimum position for stability, not a new design tis a throwback to the custom trike design  so maybe I will think again as I always thought that was rather neat.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #40 on: 16 December, 2014, 11:58:57 am »
My XXL hav a boggo Tortec rack but then it hails from a time when ICE trikes didn't do that foldy boingy nonsense.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #41 on: 20 December, 2014, 08:59:47 pm »
I'm a bit of a sleeper on here - I keep running out of time and forget to log in and see what's new - but I'm up for a mass trike ride too!

« Reply #42 on: 21 December, 2014, 08:41:17 am »
I am always up for mass trike rides  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #43 on: 21 December, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »
I'll be around for a get together in this country until the start of my tour in April.

The next forum meet I'm planning to get to is CrinklyLion's Winter Hostelling one on the 27th Feb up in Northumberland.
Here's info on it -> https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82860.0
So I'm planning to get the trike serviced at ICE before hand around the 20th of Feb.

Edited to fix the date .........  :-[

« Reply #44 on: 21 December, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »
Tiger, it is the weekend 27/28feb.
The main thread is in rides and touring/winter hosteling.
There should be a fine selection of Trikes attending. :thumbsup: