Author Topic: One of those days... an awesome one!!  (Read 4082 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
One of those days... an awesome one!!
« on: 11 April, 2008, 11:13:41 am »
Just got back in from having a ball on the bike, and had to write about it.

I was out, just for a little spin to blow away some cobwebs before getting back down to "The Dissertation That Won't Die" (TDTWD), and had an awesome ride!

I climbed a local hill, that was resurfaced about 4months ago and is still perfect, and swooshed down the other side. Dry tarmac, clear sightlines, van driver who stayed a very decent distance behind me all the way down. I was crouched low, leaning deep into the corners, right on that fine line between adrenaline pumping descent and terrifying speed beyond skill.

Sed van driver waited until it was safe to overtake me, giving me full room, thumbs up and a grin as he passed. He held up a hand, flashing four fingers then five, and mouthed "Forty five" as he went.  :thumbsup:

On the loop homewards a huge artic sat behind me for a while, and when I spotted a layby I signalled my intention and moved over to let him passed - got a friendly toot as he went  ;D

Had a tailwind push me along a stealth hill I usually hate.

Got horribly out of breath and crawled up a harsh hill that usually taxes me, but nearly killed me (I haven't done much riding recently due to TDTWD, and have been ill to boot), but saw a deer in the bushes and found a CD, in a broken case, by a band that I like, but don't have this album. Tool: Aneima in case anybodys knows it.

Finally, when I got home my new KMC-X9L chain has arrived  :thumbsup:

I love cycling.  :-*
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Re: One of those days... an awesome one!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:15:20 am »
Great post, J-r-G  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:37:43 am »
[...]and found a CD, in a broken case, by a band that I like, but don't have this album. Tool: Aneima in case anybodys knows it.

I do.  It is this: excellent.  Though if you'd found a copy of "Salival", I may have been forced to murder you and steal it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:38:07 am »
That's cool Jac.

To add to the good vibes - someone let me out on a bike for the first time ever yesterday. I was sitting at a junction, checking both ways, when I heard a 'toot' and it was a motorist flashing me to let me go. They got a big smile and a 'thank you' from me.

And I got up Sawyer's Hill without stopping in Richmond Park the other day, which I realise is not that much of a hill, but I couldn't do it before!

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:40:10 am »

And I got up Sawyer's Hill without stopping in Richmond Park the other day, which I realise is not that much of a hill, but I couldn't do it before!
That's brilliant! And it's a fierce  :evil: lump, Sawyer's Hill. Definitely a very fierce lump.

Pete

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:51:16 am »
Glad to hear it JRG.  Wish more posts on cycling forums were as positive about cycling ... alas it's the bad stuff that generally gets the most read!  Such is human nature!  When I saw the thread title from the homepage, it read just "one of those days..." and I thought, oh dear here we go....  Thanks for setting me right.

And I'm impressed with Mr. WVM (well we shouldn't really call him WVM should we, but old habits die hard!) giving you your speed.  Mostly redundant nowadays, I guess, in these days of cyclecomputers (do you use one?), but a friendly gesture all the same!  I recall way back in my student days, long before there were such things as computers, piling it on down a hill with some of my student friends following me in the car.... (it was the descent out of Bingley towards Saltaire IIRC).  Wasn't until we got to our journey's end that they told me what my speed was - around 40 IIRC.  Alas!  I'm not built for decent speeds anymore, uphill or down!

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:56:28 am »
Thanks Peli :) It did feel rather fierce. Although I was feeling fierce too (I had decided beforehand it wasn't going to beat me this time!)

alan

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:57:35 am »
Jacomus, the force is obviously with you today   :thumbsup:
Buy a lottery ticket now, don't delay  ;)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:03:16 pm »
[...]and found a CD, in a broken case, by a band that I like, but don't have this album. Tool: Aneima in case anybodys knows it.

I do.  It is this: excellent.  Though if you'd found a copy of "Salival", I may have been forced to murder you and steal it.

Mr Larrington, how would you feel if a blank CD fell into my computer, and, aghast at the blankness of the CD, my comp spontaneously worte Salival onto it, just to stop it being so blank and lonely you understand. The CD, now full of musical joyness leapt from the CD drive and into a jiffy bag with your address on it, which infused with the love of quality music, lobbed itsself in the nearest letter box?

PM me if you think this totally hypothetical situation could resonably happen  ;)

Pete - I do have a cycle computer, but was far busier looking at the road! It gave me a top speed for the ride as 43mph, so I'm happy taking the wvms 45  :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 12:29:06 pm »
Fantastic stuff, Jacomus!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2008, 10:06:07 pm »
That's cool Jac.

To add to the good vibes - someone let me out on a bike for the first time ever yesterday. I was sitting at a junction, checking both ways, when I heard a 'toot' and it was a motorist flashing me to let me go. They got a big smile and a 'thank you' from me.

I got that this morning too.

Great post.