Author Topic: Jimmy Savile's died  (Read 18222 times)

Jimmy Savile's died
« on: 29 October, 2011, 03:17:45 pm »
I liked him when I was little.

Always seemed a little dodgy after the Louis Theroux interview.

RIP

Re: Jimmy Savile's died
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »
 :'( I liked Jimmy RIP

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2011, 03:44:42 pm »
I must admit I really didn't like him even as a child and then even less after hearing some disabled people older than me said he used them for his own publicity on the show "poor little disabled people" and they never got their actual "fixit" but some made up fixit.  He was also very patronising even for the day. :(

His shellsuits were something of a fascination for both being hideous and highly likely to catch fire with his enormous cigars ;)

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »
He had an awesome chair, that was full of cutting edge technology. I'm sure it would have been equipped with fire extinguishers.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »
Ex tour of Britain rider so respect to Sir Jim  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
Originally raced as Oscar Saville, but climbed off in ToB I think and took over commentating, hence into media etc. He did a lot for the Rayner Fund, and supported all their events. He didn't lose touch with the Yorkshire racing men once he was famous at all, always up for a chat.

A friend of mine who knew him well tells a tale of how he turned up somewhere in a brand new Rolls. "Wow" goes my friend - "never mind the car, look at this" says Jimmy, taking a new Raleigh Ilkeston road bike out of the boot.

« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:25:39 pm »
started a thread before i saw this one, i've deleted mine.
jimmy savile, top bloke. raised massive amounts of money for charity.

R.I.P Mr Savile

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:33:55 pm »
1951 Daily Express Tour of Britain

Yorkshire team

Don Wilson - Bradford R C
J F Wilson - Sheffield Phoenix R C
Douglas Petty - Keighley Velo R C
Oscar Saville - Leeds Olympic

Also of course known as Oscar (The Duke) Saville.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2011, 05:19:45 pm »
Sad news.  It's a mark of his achievements that one of the first tributes was from Charles & Camilla.
Aero but not dynamic

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »
How's about that then, boys and gals, Uncle Jimmy's fixed it for the Pearly Gates.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2011, 05:48:52 pm »
Fundamentally a Good Person. Always died his hair blonde - I believe this was a reaction to having been a 'Bevin Boy' and essentially conscripted to work in a coal mine - but I could be talking complete bollocks.

Said to move on the seamier side as DJ and club owner before becoming 'legit' and a 'star' and the 'darker connections' were quietly buried.

Unique, a one-off. Nothing like him before or since.

Sleep well.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2011, 07:07:38 pm »
My father never liked him, but I did.
What a character! Tour of Britain rider, Professional wrestler, cigar smoking DJ, safety campaigner, marathon runner and god knows what else. Very weird bloke who I heard used to hide Wagon Wheel biscuits around his home so that hge'd find them as a treat.
He gave me (and many others) a high 5 when he ran around the circuit of the last stage of the Milk Race in 1987 won by Malcolm Elliot. He was commentating live at the race and was heard via the tannoy around the circuit.

Lovely Horse

« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »
Icon.  Gone. Aw. Oaoaoaoaoa.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QK01f5_aKY4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QK01f5_aKY4&rel=1</a>

« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2011, 08:29:07 pm »
Born entertainer who brought a lot of light and joy to some. RIP.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2011, 08:40:01 pm »
Strange character but what a life. A genuine eccentric who made it out of the mines (apparently spent his hols riding to Aviemore and back) and into the BBC and was a household name in the 60s/70s. Raised a lot of money/publicity for Stoke Mandeville, Royal Marines. Ran marathons before they were fashionable. No doubt we may be hearing lurid stories of his life but nothing cropped up during his life.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #15 on: 29 October, 2011, 08:42:22 pm »
He once brought me a couple of double albums back from a trip to America in the mid 70's, I was a friend of his niece. I liked the bloke for most of the stuff he did. Rest well Sir Jim'.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2011, 10:55:21 pm »
Top bloke. Very rich, could have sat back and done nowt. Chose to help people. Yes he was a self-publicist but WGAF when you look at what he gave. I like eccentrics, there are far too few. RIP.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #17 on: 29 October, 2011, 11:24:12 pm »
Top bloke. Very rich, could have sat back and done nowt. Chose to help people. Yes he was a self-publicist but WGAF when you look at what he gave. I like eccentrics, there are far too few. RIP.

Many moons ago I did some voluntary work in the NSIC at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, for which JS did a huge amount. Some place.

I remember reading a transcript of the interview Anthony Clare did for In The Psychiatrists Chair broadcast on R4 some years ago. Clare described Savile as 'chilling'. Chilling in the sense that he couldn't get  anywhere near him  :D RIP
Garry Broad

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #18 on: 30 October, 2011, 01:21:54 am »
He's clicked his last clunk.

Interesting character, but he did do a lot for charity.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #19 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:45:58 am »
Eccentric verging on the plain weird, but an essentially good guy I reckon. Sharp mind beneath the show.

Saw him on his bike in Leeds in late '60s one wet winter's evening, passing a bus near Hyde Park and, ever the showman, waving to the passengers. Class act.

RIP.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2011, 11:02:02 am »
I always found I had to make allowances for some of his attitudes (like Barakta, I found him massively patronising), but sometimes you have to do that. He was madder than a box of frogs, but a true philanthropist. He loved people - and loved meeting them.

I read his biography years ago; which was tea stained from when I snorted a mouthful of tea down my nose at the line "One particular pit pony farted so much, I decided it had no lungs and simply breathed in, and farted out."

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #21 on: 30 October, 2011, 12:15:01 pm »
I've got to be honest, I just didn't like him!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 30 October, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »
Looking at the transcripts of the Louis Theroux programme, I thought he came across quite well.  Obtuse, yes, but not unpleasant.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2011, 01:03:31 pm »
I think Jimmy would have been at least a bit embarrassed by Louis Theroux's programme.  It was fascinating, but maybe right now is not a good time to watch it again for those who want to think the best of him.  #awkward
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #24 on: 30 October, 2011, 01:10:50 pm »
Anyone heard any good jokes yet?

:demon: