Author Topic: 0S 1:25,000 on my Oregon  (Read 1902 times)

0S 1:25,000 on my Oregon
« on: 24 April, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »
I have the full set of OS 1:50,000 maps for whole of UK on my Garmin Oregon and I would like to buy and load selected tiles of 1:25,000.  I am completely confused about how to do this.  Something about buying credits from Garmin and then using them to buy the tiles?  I have Basecamp on my pc, does it involve that somehow?  Can anyone explain this in simple terms to a complete tech idiot what is the best way to do it and how I go about it?

Re: 0S 1:25,000 on my Oregon
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:09:35 pm »
1st question - do you really want to buy, is Openstreetmap (or Openfietsmap) not good enough?

(can tell you how to do either option, I have an Oregon 650)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:29:56 pm »
1st question - do you really want to buy, is Openstreetmap (or Openfietsmap) not good enough?

I've played with a pirate copy of the 1:50k maps on my eTrex, and the OS maps on a Garmin are a completely different experience to the vector maps, even compared to a map with a contour overlay.  Not worth it for road cycling, IMHO, where the vector maps are less cluttered, more precise and zoomable (bitmap maps only really work at a couple of zoom levels), but if you're hiking or mountain biking, then the advantage of a real OS map is obvious.

Personally, my preferred approach is to stick to vector maps (OSM or City Navigator + contours) on the Garmin and have OS maps on an Android device with decent screen and CPU (Viewranger is good) or dead tree format to refer to.  But that's for cycle touring and the occasional venture off-road, I don't have the knees for hiking.

I assume that since the OP is familiar with the 1:50k OS maps, they know what they're asking for...

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:41:53 pm »
My experience of the 1:25000 (which is the OP's question) is  actually not very positive, I didn't think the Oregon screen is actually much use for the features. The Openfietsmap has contour info, which is what you really need, the "Open" bit has the paths, after that the data on the 1:25000 gets lost on the screen IME. For 1:25000 I would stick with dead tree every time if I needed it.

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2017, 11:52:34 am »
I am very happy using OS 1:50,000 when cycling and I use OFM when going abroad.  I bought the Oregon for its big screen because it is more suitable for using with the 1:50,000.   I guess I would only use the 1:25,000 for hiking.  I find it a nuisance to be carrying the 1:25,000 paper map when hiking and trying to read it against our location on the 1:50,000 on the Oregon at the same time. So I would like to have the 1:25,000 on the Oregon, though only probably for places like the national parks.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:08:48 pm »
I bought my first Oregon in 2010 for hiking (450T), when I was travelling to a country without adequate mapping, I've used it and its recent usurper (the 650) extensively since through all manner of countries and areas for hiking, cycling and driving (>20 countries). While I love it to bits, I've never splashed out for the 1:50000 although I can see how they would be beneficial, the job is done to a greater or lesser extent with any map.

Acknowledging everyone will have their own preferences, when I tried it I was actually shocked how poorly the 1:25000 served in comparison with the paper version, which made me consider how I was using the various mapping components.

The Oregon I generally use with the map in track up mode, switching to North up if I need to plan. I want it to tell me which way I need to chose, where I am in relation to other stuff (eg how far to go, climb or descent) and where I've been. I rarely plan a walk or ride on it, the times when I end up doing planning on it tend to be very limited and the outcome is rarely as successful as something planned in advance.

The paper map, by contrast is excellent at showing the lie of the land; what else is about, how to route and its use is intuitive. When combined with a satnav which takes all the "but where are we REALLY?" out of the equation, they are brilliant at adding to the enjoyment of the day, the 1:25k far more so than the 1:50k. But, I found that the 25k on screen provided none of that capability. YMMV, but do try first, if you can.

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2017, 11:52:59 am »

Thanks for the advice on maps to use with the Oregon.  My original post was more to do with "how" to do something rather than whether it is worth doing at all.  I am pretty clear about what types of mapping I want to use, so if anyone could give me instructions about "how" to load 1:25000 maps on the Oregon I would be very grateful.