Author Topic: A bit O/T - question re car satnav & route planning  (Read 1349 times)

A bit O/T - question re car satnav & route planning
« on: 06 April, 2014, 09:18:08 pm »
Does anyone know of a car satnav that allows you to save a route, or to input one & tell it to follow it?

Every one I've seen chooses its own, subject only to setting of waypoints (a tedious & error-prone procedure) & perhaps some selection criteria.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: A bit O/T - question re car satnav & route planning
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »
All the Garmin ones.

You need to take them out of the car, and plug them into your PC, and use MapSource to plan your routes and waypoints.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2014, 09:56:32 am »
Interesting.  I have a Garmin nuvi and have just tried loading a route with both BaseCamp and Mapsource City Navigator.  All the waypoints transfer over to the nuvi and I can find them in favorites but routes don't appear to.  Any idea where I should look for them?

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2014, 11:17:30 am »
All the Garmin ones.

You need to take them out of the car, and plug them into your PC, and use MapSource to plan your routes and waypoints.
Ah, I see. You have to buy it, by buying a map which it's bundled with.

It'd be nice if Garmin didn't have dead links on its website.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2014, 11:46:48 am »
MapSource has been replaced by BaseCamp, which is available to download for free. As standard, BaseCamp includes a not very detailed basemap, but it should read any maps loaded on the GPS device that's plugged in.

For loading planned routes on the Nuvis, this depends on the model. Some are rather simplified, so don't allow this. Though you can transfer waypoints (aka favourites) to most of them.
I'm not sure which current models allow loading routes.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2014, 12:07:43 pm »
Can Basecamp use OSM sourced maps like the Garmin itself?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2014, 12:14:49 pm »
It can. Check the map's website on how to install.