Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3899203 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #19800 on: 04 April, 2016, 04:01:05 pm »
It'a great feeling isn't it?
 Are they on kiddycranks or a very small frame?
Just wait till they drag you round an audax!!!
We have a Circe Helios.  The rear telescopic seatpost has been replaced by a single length one to bring the saddle low enough; the saddle itself is a childs one; there are three-position bolt-on crank shorteners at their shortest setting; and the custom rear rack mounting allows for a child seat to be carried as a 'sleeping seat' for bailouts. The Helios is truly a wondrous machine, and we were discussing yesterday the possibility of getting another for touring!* :o   

* In case anyone from the bank is reading this, don't panic - it's a long way off.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19801 on: 05 April, 2016, 12:00:05 am »
Yesterday The Boy and I met ianrauk, deckertim and Long Martin (notp) on the A23 as they cycled to Brighton.  Bit of a head wind and The Boy was hanging off the back a bit, but kept plugging away.  When we got to Cuckfield (we'd been following the Old Cars route), Ian let slip that we were going to take a diversion of an upward nature by going up Ditchling Beacon.  That was a bit character forming for The Boy, but he engaged low gear and did a bit more plugging.  By heck, the road up the Beacon is a right old rubbish dumps. Not just car wing mirrors, but countless soft drinks bottles. Quite disgusting.

Down to Brighton, failing to set off any speed cameras, and then fish and chips in the lee of the big wheel. We fixed The Boy's puncture then set off home, he via the station, the rest of us via Devil's Dyke. A tailwind meant we were flying and soon in Handcross where, shock!, not only has the puppet shop closed up, but the Spar was closed. Sweeties were purchased elsewhere then the final leg (for me) back into Crawley. Ian and co headed off for The Smoke and I went home.  60 odd miles for the day.

The Boy was waiting for me and declared himself well pleased with his performance. So was I.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #19802 on: 05 April, 2016, 12:04:40 am »
Sounds like a grand day out Tim  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19803 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:13:01 pm »
It'a great feeling isn't it?
 Are they on kiddycranks or a very small frame?
Just wait till they drag you round an audax!!!
We have a Circe Helios.  The rear telescopic seatpost has been replaced by a single length one to bring the saddle low enough; the saddle itself is a childs one; there are three-position bolt-on crank shorteners at their shortest setting; and the custom rear rack mounting allows for a child seat to be carried as a 'sleeping seat' for bailouts. The Helios is truly a wondrous machine, and we were discussing yesterday the possibility of getting another for touring!* :o   

* In case anyone from the bank is reading this, don't panic - it's a long way off.
So you'd have a "touring Helios" and a "other stuff Helios"?! Chez Clarifly is sounding like Circe Central!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19804 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:42:51 pm »
Well, the idea is that they would both be touring Helii*, with me adapting the existing model with longer stem, bullhorn bars and the like, then Butterfly gets a new one with S&S and a few other tweaks.  Astronomical cost, and not speedy, but probably pretty good for cycle camping with a bairn.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19805 on: 05 April, 2016, 07:21:07 pm »
My three thoughts on that, in order, are:
Wow!
Zoinks!
Do you know there's now a Helios triplet?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19806 on: 05 April, 2016, 07:34:21 pm »
7.4 miles via Aldi. Four I tell you four, yes 1,2,3,4 - count them! - four PR's according to Strava! Now I'm #319 out of 682 on one stretch :)

I don't really like shopping but doing it on a bike is about a million times better and one could easily be talked into to "just pop down for x even though we really don't need x".

Good to be back on wheels, it is :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19807 on: 05 April, 2016, 07:38:25 pm »
:thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #19808 on: 06 April, 2016, 11:03:48 am »
Yesterday was my first UK ride since last summer. Can someone take an iron to the hills please?
Heading North from Wotton I had to stop three times climbing the hill - twice to get my breath back and a third time to admire the view across the Severn. Over the top and down through Horsley into Nailsworth.
I had intended to hop on the cycle path to Stroud, but instead let The Force kick in and found a lane I hadn't previously used that skirts around the top of the valley through St Chloe and up onto Rodborough and Minchinhampton Commons before a brake squealing descent into Brimscombe.
I had a look around Noah's Ark cycles and bought some SPD pedals - Twisting your foot with clips and straps doesn't have the desired effect!
I followed the main road into Stroud and this time used the cycle path to get back to Nailsworth. I had hoped to get tea and cake from the Copper Kettle cafe, but sadly it is no longer there. Plan B was the garden centre on the Avening road and a three cup pot of tea and large piece of chocolate cake was very satisfying.
I didn't fancy the climb back up through Horsley (I don't like light controlled single track sectors going up hill - they invariably result in meeting cars coming the other way) so carried on along the Avening road (passed by an unmarked police car with blues and twos - must have been late getting back to Charles' after lunch). Into Tetbury with is very pointy church spire.  Then my tired legs suffered the long draggy 'climb' through Beverstone and back to Wotton.
Last night I ached in many places that haven't ached for a long time, but with the sun out almost all day I had a really great ride!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

sam

« Reply #19809 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:11:54 pm »
I've been suffering with a bad cold so today was a very short ride to get some air in my lungs.
Mrs M took me & the bike half way to my son's house, while she went and babysat, I cycled up there.
On the way I saw this on the front of Humphrey Perkins School in Barrow Upon Soar (Leicestershire)

Overheard:
"What time is it?"
"I don't know, I failed Latin."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19810 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:25:23 pm »
Yesterday was my first UK ride since last summer. Can someone take an iron to the hills please?
Heading North from Wotton I had to stop three times climbing the hill - twice to get my breath back and a third time to admire the view across the Severn. Over the top and down through Horsley into Nailsworth.
I had intended to hop on the cycle path to Stroud, but instead let The Force kick in and found a lane I hadn't previously used that skirts around the top of the valley through St Chloe and up onto Rodborough and Minchinhampton Commons before a brake squealing descent into Brimscombe.
I had a look around Noah's Ark cycles and bought some SPD pedals - Twisting your foot with clips and straps doesn't have the desired effect!
I followed the main road into Stroud and this time used the cycle path to get back to Nailsworth. I had hoped to get tea and cake from the Copper Kettle cafe, but sadly it is no longer there. Plan B was the garden centre on the Avening road and a three cup pot of tea and large piece of chocolate cake was very satisfying.
I didn't fancy the climb back up through Horsley (I don't like light controlled single track sectors going up hill - they invariably result in meeting cars coming the other way) so carried on along the Avening road (passed by an unmarked police car with blues and twos - must have been late getting back to Charles' after lunch). Into Tetbury with is very pointy church spire.  Then my tired legs suffered the long draggy 'climb' through Beverstone and back to Wotton.
Last night I ached in many places that haven't ached for a long time, but with the sun out almost all day I had a really great ride!
Sounds like a good ride, visiting good places. I'm sure you'll soon get used to the hills again eventually.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19811 on: 07 April, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
First official WNPR of the year yesterday. That's Wednesday Night Pub Ride, just in case you were thinking of Wowbagger's Naked Peep Ride. I was intending to do the medium with Dave but as soon as I left the house the wind, coupled with my knees remembering Sunday's big ride, convinced me this was the night to take it easy with Joe. Both rides were leaving from the same place and heading for the same pub anyway. So seven of us had a pleasant roll out to Massive Attack Portishead through Failand and Portbury, until we sat in a 'Spoons doing Spoony stuff, before the others turned up. Then home over the big bridge and Mike's way through Shirehampton, which was new to me.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #19812 on: 07 April, 2016, 08:42:15 pm »
6km on Wednesday evening to (a) test the new On-One Mary Bars, and (b) the half clip strapless (oo-er missus) toe clips.

Was only intending a quick loop round the block, but headed towards the Big Tescos, and found some nice newly surfaced trails around Calais Muir wids!

:D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19813 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:24:58 pm »
I've been suffering with a bad cold so today was a very short ride to get some air in my lungs.
Mrs M took me & the bike half way to my son's house, while she went and babysat, I cycled up there.
On the way I saw this on the front of Humphrey Perkins School in Barrow Upon Soar (Leicestershire)

Overheard:
"What time is it?"
"I don't know, I failed Latin."

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

« Reply #19814 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:56:35 pm »
Out to one of my favourite parts of the world, the Forest of Bowland for a feed at puddleducks, then up the Cross o' Greet and back over the Nick o' Pendleton. There's something magical about the high open spaces.

I was having a cracking day until I decided to use Salford council's latest flagship cycleway featuring a set of metal steps, a metal bike chute and no handrail within reach, with the obvious result in the wet and cleated shoes. Ouch, need a new longboard now.  >:(

Other than that a stunning 215 km.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19815 on: 09 April, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
Nice one Si.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19816 on: 10 April, 2016, 12:00:37 pm »
I went for a walk yesterday. Does that count? No, of course it doesn't – this isn't Yet Another Walking Forum* – but obviously I'm going to tell you anyway. I took a bustitute into Bath then walked up the hill past my old house to look at the other Beckford Tower and on to Keynesham viat Kelston Round Hill, where it hailed on me. After a minute the hail turned to sleet and at the bottom of the hill, the sun was shining. And it's only a little hill! North Stoke, where they have one of those hill top churches and water spout, Pipley Bottom, which was a stream masquerading as a footpath – I rather enjoyed that! – and into Upton Cheyney and Bitton, where I got a sandwich.

Someone once said they ride a bike because they're too lazy to walk. How right they were!

*Imagine the splits and controversies they must have on Yet Another Walking Forum! Walkers, Hikers and Ramblers all sniping at each other. They've probably got a Militant Pedestrian Campaign: "We are not Walkers, we are People on Foot," and its rejoinder, "Don't call me a Person on Foot, I am a Leg User!" They'll have Hardcore Trekkers: "A four month trek across the Karakorum, unsupported, culling yaks for food and taming yetis for additional transport," side by side with Casual Wanderers: "I went to the letter box with a letter for my mum. The sun was shining." There will be old traditionalists rubbing dubbin into their hobnailed boots, retro hipsters raving over the first pressing of a Mike Harding LP, and modernists in carbon fibre running shoes. Weight weenies with helium-filled soles, tech freaks exclaiming over the latest way to make fire, people obsessing over trivia: "My carbon fibre boot laces have totally revolutionised my whole life!" and the laid-back: "As long as I've got my trousers on, I really don't care." They'll have post-hippies walking barefoot in the mud and neo-Edwardian ladies in ankle-length tweed skirts. They'll have the forgetful: "It was only when I got to advance base camp I noticed I was wearing two left boots," and the ultra-preparative: "I can't go further than the end of the road without my Fell Walker's Multitool and survival bag." Nordic poles or Alpenstock? Yodelling or smoke signals? "I'm a cyclist myself but these mountain bikers think they own the trail!" And the potential for grammar pedants is enormous: On the road or in the road? On or at the top of the hill? Ramblers Association, Ramblers' Association or Rambler's Association? Do we need a new campaigning organisation for unenthusiastic shoe wearer? And of course the great redesign controversy: the drunken boot or the winged sandal?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19817 on: 10 April, 2016, 01:10:39 pm »
You forgot the naked rambling...

« Reply #19818 on: 10 April, 2016, 01:25:13 pm »
No, I think that image is now nicely seared into my headmeat...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19819 on: 10 April, 2016, 01:47:17 pm »
I'm afraid that puts me in mind of all the aliases Wowbagger might use on forums for other interests:
Growbagger – on a gardening forum
Trowbagger – as an enthusiast of flat-bottomed boats
Sowbagger – in his pig-rearing guise
Lowbagger – the limbo dancer
Rowbagger – a Connect Four player

For rambling I think he'd have to be Hedgerowbagger.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19820 on: 10 April, 2016, 03:13:50 pm »
I have now done 100 miles this year \o/

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #19821 on: 10 April, 2016, 03:14:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #19822 on: 10 April, 2016, 04:09:29 pm »
Yay Woolly!   :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #19823 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:55:03 pm »
Chapeau Woolly  :thumbsup:

Out with my much better half for a tour of the hostelries of Lymm and Grappenhall taking in The Golden Fleece, Sunday lunch at the Rams Head, she was most unimpressed with the cobbles, finishing with The Green Dragon. 30 vaguely inebriated km.

« Reply #19824 on: 10 April, 2016, 07:09:21 pm »
Went for ~25km ride around Abingdon area.  Popped into the market square Abingdon Freewheeling organised spring cycle festival early pm (near the end)...   also saw a few festival groups returning to base, out on the road.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson