Author Topic: Silly Suffolk Audaxes Sunday 13th October 2019  (Read 2644 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Silly Suffolk Audaxes Sunday 13th October 2019
« on: 07 October, 2019, 07:09:00 pm »
I'll be heading up on Saturday to the Lowestoft Travelodge. Big Saxon is also be staying there - any others in the Far East Saturday evening and fancy meeting up?

There's a 'Harvester' next door, a 'spoons in town by the station and no doubt many lovely hostelries too - any recommendations?

Re: Silly Suffolk Audaxes Sunday 13th October 2019
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2019, 07:22:39 pm »
Sorry, I'm driving up in the morning.....
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2019, 10:49:19 am »
I've finally managed to sign up for one of John's rides! I'm also driving up on Saturday morning for the 100....I'm mostly easing my way back into the longer rides....

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2019, 09:15:51 pm »
I'll be going for 'Full Value' after more than a month of not very much riding at all since PBP. And I will be staying in the Travelodge Sunday night too. Easy life.

With the Autumnals the following week, I hope to be up to scratch for the Winter Series: Btw, I have a new ECE route that shock horror doesn't control at the garage in Sible Hedingham! Sarf Essex: Dunmow-Brentwood-Maldon-Witham/Kelvedon 75km front-loaded this time ...

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2019, 09:48:21 pm »
I’m also driving up in the morning. It’s looking like it could be a damp day...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2019, 11:58:57 am »
I've finally managed to sign up for one of John's rides! I'm also driving up on Saturday morning for the 100....I'm mostly easing my way back into the longer rides....

The ride is Sunday morning......

I have entered the 200k, driving up Sunday morning from Witham.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2019, 08:18:29 pm »
I'm in on the 200km, and opting for the Saturday overnight stop for the first time, hoping to be well rested for the start.
CCS - Setting the Standards

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:27:05 am »
I'm in on the 200km, and opting for the Saturday overnight stop for the first time, hoping to be well rested for the start.

I'll give you a bell when I'm at the TL - if the weather is as predicted, I suspect I won't be straying far ... the fleshpots of Lowestoft will have to wait.

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:34:55 pm »
Coming from further afield after taking my wife to pain clinic in Milton Keynes, yes she is a pain at times.

Probably about 9pm arrival.

Winter boots packed and Altura, we did have floods one year which brought the fairies out in the gravel.

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:23:54 pm »
Coming from further afield after taking my wife to pain clinic in Milton Keynes, yes she is a pain at times.

Probably about 9pm arrival.

Winter boots packed and Altura, we did have floods one year which brought the fairies out in the gravel.
Ah, you’re doing this. You could pick me up and smuggle me into your hotel, lol.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2019, 08:31:16 am »

Winter Bike with Durano Plusses is coming out to play earlier than usual ... still mild, but wet, so sandals and extra layers [inc. waterproof socks  8)], probably.

« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2019, 01:56:26 pm »
testing times for my new found Tubeless beliefs! ;D

BFC

« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2019, 05:12:24 pm »
Has anyone got a gpx file that works?

Tried from Johns e-mail and from AUK website, downloaded into NewFiles on the garmin 1000. Nothing shows in cousres when it starts up.

If I can't sort it I'll be a DNS.

« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2019, 05:21:00 pm »
PM Sent

Tried from Johns e-mail and from AUK website, downloaded into NewFiles on the garmin 1000. Nothing shows in cousres when it starts up.

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:27:42 pm »

Try something really weird .. a route sheet !!!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

the straggler

« Reply #15 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
Myself and the Big Saxon have now arrived back at HQ to a well deserved warm cuppa.

A thoroughly enjoyable stop at the Coach House to a double helping of bacon and sausage butty each.

We felt it would have been impolite to impede the organiser's beer time for this evening.

« Reply #16 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:15:31 pm »
Myself and the Big Saxon have now arrived back at HQ to a well deserved warm cuppa.

A thoroughly enjoyable stop at the Coach House to a double helping of bacon and sausage butty each.

We felt it would have been impolite to impede the organiser's beer time for this evening.
Good going! I opted for a very wet then dry MK CTC ride instead.

« Reply #17 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:03:08 pm »
I wasn’t really feeling it today and made it as far as Woodbridge before throwing in the towel and jumping on the train back to HQ.

It was good chilling for an hour chatting to John, Big Saxon, the straggler et al before heading home, although discovering that the 100km ride passed the St Peter brewery was a bit of a disappointment  :)

the straggler

« Reply #18 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »

although discovering that the 100km ride passed the St Peter brewery was a bit of a disappointment  :)

I agree, and that will be a good reason to upgrade to the 100km event instead, for next year.

Good going! I opted for a very wet then dry MK CTC ride instead.

I must be missing out on some gem rides that CTC offer. Suffolk CTC rides during midweek does not work for me, but suppose I could alternate CTC and club rides on Sunday's.

« Reply #19 on: 13 October, 2019, 10:26:55 pm »
discovering that the 100km ride passed the St Peter brewery was a bit of a disappointment  :)
I remember passing that in the past (not on this event). I particularly like their organic ale which I think I can only buy in my local Waitrose.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »
Surprised to find my legs hadn't completely deserted me since PBP, though I didn't exactly feel perky. Thanks to Grey Sheep for towing me round.  :thumbsup:

A substantial portion of Suffolk's pig-enriched soil has relocated to Essex today ... I almost wished for more rain on the journey back to start the cleaning-up process.

Thanks to JT for a lovely route and the tailwind back to Carlton Colville.

BFC

« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:21:11 pm »

I have never been able to read text whilst moving. Its a gpx or DNS for me.

the straggler

« Reply #22 on: 15 October, 2019, 07:36:32 pm »

I have never been able to read text whilst moving. Its a gpx or DNS for me.
Or try something really smart by draughting behind your Acme club mates wheels!! ;)

It usually works for me....... If I can hang on that is.

« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2019, 05:23:51 pm »
Another plug for John's events, after the first of the Winter series, why not try the Waveney Wander 100 on 24 November, fills the gap before Stansted Express.

Had a relaxing day on Silly Suffolk, extended lunch at Thornham with the Straggler, we retraced to the start for 108k, still within 15kph minimum.Chatted away at the finish, then back to the Travelodge before going home Monday morning. Booked a nice B&B including breakfast near Pakefield  for next time

We will utilise the extra time limits for the next few months and go full value, which should keep the cafes going. Big Saxon will do some power training during the cold months, might need a bigger ACME jersey after that.