Author Topic: Camera-Phone Photos  (Read 119935 times)

LEE

Camera-Phone Photos
« on: 03 November, 2008, 10:58:07 am »
POST YOUR CAMERA PHONE PHOTOS HERE

Thought I'd start a thread to try and demonstrate how good or how bad Camera Phones can be.  I think they have now reached the point where perfectly acceptable 6x4 prints and 640x480 'Web Blog' photos can be produced.

Maybe it could help someone select a phone should they be looking for a decent camera function.  After all, a camera phone can take a better photo of a situation than a DSLR you have left at home.

Sony Ericsson K800i (3Mpixel).  Nice bright day

It also has a Xenon Flash, rather than an LED, meaning it really does have a Flash, albeit with a limited range (LED 'Flashes'just don't work imo).

Any more examples of Camera-Phone photos?

Any advice ("great camera", "Crap camera") ?

I'll publish some more later today.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Camera-Phone Photos
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:12:29 am »
This (which I've posted before)

was taken with my Blackberry.

I find that phones seem to work well in good light, less so when it's gloomy

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:14:54 am »
I have exactly the same phone. (As Lee)
I was quite suprised that I could get a reasonable image looking directly into the sun.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:17:03 am »

SE k770i

I don't think I could have stuck my DSLR that far into the thorn bush to get the pic..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:18:05 am »
Sony Ericson W200i  VGA  ;D   I'll stick to my camera. (taken by mini ao)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:29:12 am »

Nokia 6300i (2Mpix).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:33:52 am »
iPhone

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:04:36 pm »
...After all, a camera phone can take a better photo of a situation than a DSLR you have left at home.

I think this is the most important aspect of a phone that can take half decent pics.  And remember to blow all that dust and gunk of the lens first...  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:15:23 pm »

I think this is the most important aspect of a phone that can take half decent pics.  And remember to blow all that dust and gunk of the lens first...  :)

I you're refering to my picture ;), the marks are not on my lens, they're on the train window.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:24:16 pm »
Sony Ericsson K800i

I'm now tempted to try and get some really nice photos just using the K800i now, as a technical challenge, to see exactly what sort of results can be achieved.

Watch this space and keep posting, I may award a "Best Camera-Phone Photo" award (no sneaky DSLR photos)

« Reply #10 on: 03 November, 2008, 02:34:02 pm »

I you're refering to my picture ;), the marks are not on my lens, they're on the train window.  :(

What kind of excuse is that..?   ;D    No I wasn't thinking of yours actually BwB.  The lens element on my phone, which must be all of 2-3mm in diameter, sits at the base of a little 'well' which is perfect for collecting dust etc... 

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2008, 03:57:49 pm »
Ericsson K750i. (I'll leave the caption for others).

Pen Pusher

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:36:03 pm »
I went out for a lunchtime spin with the intention of getting some photos on my Ericsson.

'Discovered' a church, down a muddy lane, that I must have cycled past 100 times and never seen.

I took a bit of care taking the photos (took light reading off the grass using spot-metering, held the phone as steady as I could and so on) and I'm pleased with some of the results.  My regular Canon would have done a better job with colour balance (and resolution) and had a higher success rate (much better metering system) but overall, not too bad, the main limiting factor is the fixed, wide angle lens that tends to give barrel-distortion at the extreme edges.

I learned that it's best to sacrifice the edges of the frame and crop the distortion out.
(Like any camera though, you need to learn how to use it for best results.  Since digital 'film' is free, there's no excuse for not blasting through lots of shots to find out how the camera (phone) works best.)

Fyfield Church, near Andover.  Very grey day, hard to find any contrast in anything.

« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:05:18 pm »
Good detail.  I can read "Jane Olivia Vernon" on the grave stone.  Can't quite make out the dates - 1734(?)- though.

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2008, 03:16:24 pm »
Good detail.  I can read "Jane Olivia Vernon" on the grave stone.  Can't quite make out the dates - 1734(?)- though.

200 years out

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2008, 05:22:47 pm »
Another K800i shot from my lunchtime ride today. 

K800i has a useful spot-metering option allowing camera to ignore the expanse of sky that would otherwise cause under-exposure of the fishing hut.  This has 'washed-out' the sky but there really isn't much missing, it was a very grey day and I tweaked the contrast lightly in order to get some punch into the image.

It's actually quite nice to have the challenge of such a limiting device with which to try and produce half-decent photos. 

Zooming is done using my feet.

Zoidburg

« Reply #16 on: 05 November, 2008, 05:25:56 pm »
Image heavy I am afraid

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 05 November, 2008, 05:26:51 pm »
This is odd, my photobucket images always show directly elsewhere but not here

Is something amiss?

Zoidburg

« Reply #18 on: 05 November, 2008, 05:33:50 pm »
So do I but it always gets disabled somehow

Never happens anywhere but here

« Reply #19 on: 05 November, 2008, 06:09:13 pm »
Taken with a truly ancient Nokia 6820 (I like its flippy QWERTY keyboard though, so it's staying for the moment :thumbsup:):

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 05 November, 2008, 07:47:06 pm »

My initial reaction was that this was somewhere in Mid-West USA (until I recgnised some signage)

David Martin

« Reply #21 on: 05 November, 2008, 08:45:15 pm »
OK. bit of a 'push the phone to it's limits' time. Fireworks.

There was a particualr shot I had in mind. The local kids congregate on a climbing frame during the annual firework display so it was a question of line up, rest on the fence to keep it still, and shoot a few to get the shot I wanted. I would have been much better off with the dSLR had I been bothered to carry it around.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22 on: 05 November, 2008, 09:10:18 pm »

Sony Ericsson K810i, Dunwich Beach.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #23 on: 05 November, 2008, 09:52:19 pm »
I would have been much better off with the dSLR had I been bothered to carry it around.

And one of the main points of the thread, a decent camera phone (or even a crappy one) is better than no camera.

I think the firework photos show just what can be done with a modern phone

David Martin

« Reply #24 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:46:17 pm »
I would have been much better off with the dSLR had I been bothered to carry it around.

And one of the main points of the thread, a decent camera phone (or even a crappy one) is better than no camera.

I think the firework photos show just what can be done with a modern phone

Or, more realistically, where the limits lie. I wasn't expecting to get pictures that good. I only took a dozen then wandered over to join the family and friends for the rest of the display.

Then tonight I took my dSLR and the standard lens (17-70 Sigma 2.8-4.5 with macro) and took some pictures of my daughters aquasaurs. Off camera TTL flash.In total about 1k worth of kit. I wouldn't have got close with the camera for fast moving wrigglies (though the macro is good).