Author Topic: Small Female-specific Frames  (Read 1878 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Small Female-specific Frames
« on: 10 March, 2017, 08:43:23 am »
Is it possible to buy any female-specific framesets as opposed to complete bikes?
A (petite) friend of mine is looking for a good quality alloy road frame to replace her Liv Avail, about 40 - 45cm but, as far as she can see, none of the major brands seem to sell frames only. Can anyone suggest where to look, or is custom the only option? Thanks. 
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Small Female-specific Frames
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:06:57 am »
Is it possible to buy any female-specific framesets as opposed to complete bikes?
A (petite) friend of mine is looking for a good quality alloy road frame to replace her Liv Avail, about 40 - 45cm but, as far as she can see, none of the major brands seem to sell frames only. Can anyone suggest where to look, or is custom the only option? Thanks.

Hi eck. I would suspect that there are really only three options at present.

Option 1. Search the internet for a new frame from Hong Kong,Taiwan or any where that they are regularly mass produced frames.

Option 2. Have a frame Bespoke Built (Steve Goff in Skelmersdale,Lancashire will happily accommodate your friend).

Option 3. Keep an eye on E'bay for a whole bike and remove the unwanted bit and sell them off then fit a preferred choice.

I would suggest that Option 3 looking for a Specialized Dolce would probably be a good starting point as they are available in a massive range of sizes.

Often petite females have really small hands and and struggle with levers on dropped bars but that can be overcome with the supplementary levers on top near to the stem.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2017, 02:00:38 pm »
Interbike schills in marks tey might be worth contacting. They tend to build bikes to customer requirements. No idea if they will post though

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2017, 02:06:22 pm »
Torslanda was advertising a dolce, if your mate bought it I could stop dithering about whether I'd actually ever use a road bike....

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »
You can stop dithering.

The new owner collected it about half an hour ago . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »
Glad it found a good home :)

« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:01:51 pm »

Hi again eck. Where are you and or your petite lady friend based ?
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2017, 07:25:46 am »

We are in NE Scotlandshire, between Dundee and Aberdeen.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2017, 10:09:10 am »

We are in NE Scotlandshire, between Dundee and Aberdeen.

Hi again eck. We have a few bespoke frame maker/builders down here in West Lancashire that actually do build there frames and not just buy them in.

They include :-- www.steve-goff-frames.co.uk/ Skelmersdale and www.hewittcycles.co.uk/ Leyland,Nr Preston.
Sheffield and Yorkshire in general have a number of Bespoke Builders not least of all Bob Jackson.

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2017, 10:32:32 am »
Does she really need women specific? As far as the frameset is concerned, I'm not sure what you get different? A lot of the time it just means smaller sizes and pink parts.

A youths size would probably do her, and you can do the needful with trim?

http://kidsracing.co.uk/product/moda-molto-carbon-fibre-frameset-45cm-xxs/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2017, 12:07:18 pm »
I think the main idea is to have a relatively shorter top tube.  (Not that I have an opinion on whether it's a good idea or not).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2017, 04:15:52 pm »
I think she wants to buy our little Longstaff, just advertised it last night. If only I could work out how to add pictures it would be irresistible. Of course, it's not exactly a "frame only, alloy bike"!

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2017, 08:14:25 am »
If your friend is willing to consider a carbon frame I have a nice Orbea women's specific frame available. Currently built up but available as frame only. You know where I am  :)

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2017, 01:59:19 pm »
I think the main idea is to have a relatively shorter top tube.  (Not that I have an opinion on whether it's a good idea or not).

This.^^^
My wife has a Van Nic Yukon. (sized according to her height etc) The reach is too long despite bike fit and shorter stem, causing discomfort on longer rides. Females are generally longer in the leg department and have a relatively shorter reach.
She is having a custom frame made up for N+1 where the geometry will reflect this.
often lost.

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2017, 02:11:27 pm »
Very short women can find that the teenage-sized Islabikes work for them.

Although they aren't women-specific, they do have sensible design features such as brakes properly designed and set up for small hands, gears ditto.

I rode alongside someone (MrsMike?) who was on just such a steed and discussed this, on the way to Hull one night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>