Author Topic: A40 Wheatley - Oxford - Eynsham  (Read 1902 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
A40 Wheatley - Oxford - Eynsham
« on: 14 March, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »
Is there a cycle track? Or possibly even a minor road that runs alongside the A40 from Wheatley, immediately east of Oxford and along what appears to be called the Northern Bypass? Some maps seem to think there is. OS does not. Or is it, despite being a dual-carriageway bypass, an ok road to ride on?

Thanks!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: A40 Wheatley - Oxford - Eynsham
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2017, 03:00:39 pm »
Have you looked on Google maps/satellite image?

I find it quite useful for getting an inkling to the environment.

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2017, 03:10:37 pm »
There is a cycle path that runs from the overpass at Wheatley all the way along the north edge of the A40 to Headington roundabout. It's not a brilliant surface, but it's not too bad (it's not that clear on google maps because it's quite close to the hedge). Then there's a pedestrian underpass to get you to the other side, where there's another cycle path to take you around to Summertown (that one involves a bit of quiet road). Not sure if there's a cycle path along the top edge of Oxford (but there is a small side road), and then there's another cycle path all the way out to Eynsham (on bot sides of the road I think - roadworks dependant).
You can hop off the cycle path quite quickly and go along the back roads through Forest Hill and Stanton St John, but you'll have to hook up to the A40 at some point.

PS I wouldn't want to ride the A40 along there. Too much traffic, travelling far too fast. A few years ago I would have thought nothing of riding the A34 from Oxford to Bicester, but I think the traffic is heavier and generally just less pleasant these days.  Or maybe I'm just older!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2017, 04:17:50 pm »
Thanks all. Spotted the path on Streetview now – it didn't show up on Google Earth. Looks like the only bad bit might be from Wolvercote Roundabout to Eynsham – there is a path but looks narrow and bumpy, but road is single carriageway and probably a bit less busy, so ok.

To the north, because I live further out than Wheatley, I would often come in through Worminghall and Stanton St. John which seem to be quieter lanes and wider. If thos isn't too far out of your way you may find it to be the most pleasant of the three (I have mentiond).
I might alter the route to go through Stanton St John and Bletchingdon, so all rural B roads to Charlbury. I'm not quite sure why I didn't plan it that way first, but I hadn't really noticed it and I'm not keen to alter it too much now cos it'll end up either too long or too short! Also, I suppose B roads are unpredictable – sometimes busy, fast and narrow but sometimes very quiet.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »
Eynsham? Charlbury??

Where the actual F are you trying to get to, Cudzo?!?   :)

(I ask, because it may well be better to get to Enynsham via Abingdon-ish. Oxford is very rarely the answer to any route question.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
I might alter the route to go through Stanton St John and Bletchingdon, so all rural B roads to Charlbury. I'm not quite sure why I didn't plan it that way first, but I hadn't really noticed it and I'm not keen to alter it too much now cos it'll end up either too long or too short! Also, I suppose B roads are unpredictable – sometimes busy, fast and narrow but sometimes very quiet.
Bletchingdon? That's significantly north of Eynsham. If going the back way, Islip, Kidlington, Yarnton might be better, though if it's rush hour all these roads are going to be busy.
I'd echo Matt's question - where are you going from/to (and what time of day, and fastest/shortest/nicest)? Your current route planning seems to have a huge amount of variation in it, which makes it hard to guess your parameters and optimize for them...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:38:11 pm »
Eynsham? Charlbury??

(I ask, because it may well be better to get to Enynsham via Abingdon-ish. Oxford is very rarely the answer to any route question.)
I'm trying to give as wide a berth as possible to Didcot. I've heard the inhabitants are inclined to be irascible.  ;)

(It's a DIY 200 starting from Didcot, cos I like the feeling of riding from somewhere to somewhere else, even if it does mean getting a train in the morning. It goes up to Charlbury and through Fairford and Malmesbury to Bristol. I planned the route with cycle.travel then when I looked at it again, I noticed this long A40 section.)

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:49:37 pm »
I planned the route with cycle.travel then when I looked at it again, I noticed this long A40 section.)
Cycle.travel likes cycle tracks, especially when they are more direct.

There's cycle track alongside the A40 all the way from Wheatley to Whitney, apart from a couple of bits where there are parallel residential/minor roads (eg Cutteslowe RAB/A4165 to Wolvercote RAB/A4144, which I've noticed white van man using to jump the queue into the roundabout).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2017, 10:42:22 pm »
Eynsham? Charlbury??

I'm trying to give as wide a berth as possible to Didcot. I've heard the inhabitants are inclined to be irascible.  ;)

(It's a DIY 200 starting from Didcot, cos I like the feeling of riding from somewhere to somewhere else, even if it does mean getting a train in the morning. It goes up to Charlbury and through Fairford and Malmesbury to Bristol. I planned the route with cycle.travel then when I looked at it again, I noticed this long A40 section.)

irascible you say? You're too kind!

OK, so you're planning a DIY200. Mandatory route? If not, do you have any controls that you don't want to change?

I've ridden to Brizzle from Oxon a few ways, none have been a disaster.  "Charlbury and through Fairford and Malmesbury " sounds fine.

As for The Oxford Problem:

I might alter the route to go through Stanton St John and Bletchingdon, so all rural B roads to Charlbury.
Most of the roads that way should be OK. I've certainly done something similar with a Didcot start.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:58:58 pm »
I've got a diy route that includes Malmesbury to Oxford. It starts at my house though.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:45:34 am »
I might alter the route to go through Stanton St John and Bletchingdon, so all rural B roads to Charlbury.
Most of the roads that way should be OK. I've certainly done something similar with a Didcot start.
I ride around that area quite a lot, and the club run I went on Sunday went through Islip to Bletchingdon, so I'd say that's the best route if you're not in a rush. The cycle path along the A40 is fine for commuting, but it's not exactly a pleasant ride.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:54:34 am »
I've got a diy route that includes Malmesbury to Oxford. It starts at my house though.
Put the kettle on and make some more breakfast!  :D