Author Topic: Dealing with lumberjack visits  (Read 13080 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Dealing with lumberjack visits
« on: 30 December, 2017, 08:26:39 pm »
Modern water saving flush toilets. They just don’t deliver enough water with sufficient force to complete the required task and therefore require manual intervention if I’m going to leave the facility in a sufficiently hygienic state that meets Dr Beardy’s (Mrs) exacting standards. 🤬
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Dealing with lumberjack visits
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »
Modern water saving flush toilets. They just don’t deliver enough water with sufficient force to complete the required task and therefore require manual intervention if I’m going to leave the facility in a sufficiently hygienic state that meets Dr Beardy’s (Mrs) exacting standards. 🤬
Why it's handy to have a little bucket in the bathroom....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2017, 09:16:51 pm »
Yay for old plumbing.  You could drop a bag of coal down ours and it would happily deal with it.
Costs me a fortune on the water meter, mind.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2017, 09:17:17 pm »
Nothing works as well as 2 gallons from a height of 6 feet. Stupid low flush pussy-foot loos need multiple flushes plus assistance from a toilet brush.

« Reply #4 on: 30 December, 2017, 10:18:43 pm »
Agreed.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:01:29 am »
Flush early and flush often. That’s my motto.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:10:00 am »
But... Splashback, euwww.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:29:20 am »

This will not work on some occasions.

Bogstoppers R us

ian

« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2017, 04:32:09 pm »
Persistence and bleach is my motto.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »

What is the point of a 'water-saving' [sic] WC?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:49:27 pm »
Persistence and bleach is my motto.
Tread softly and carry a big stick.

fuzzy

« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2018, 12:29:43 am »
Rubber gloves and a strong stomach.

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2018, 12:39:21 am »
Rubber gloves and a strong stomach.

Wot no NBC kit?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2018, 01:30:01 am »
Don’t put paper down following a log-tastic experience.

Flush. Flush. Flush.

If there is a particularly recalcitrant turd in your bathroom use time and water to soften it up. Then flush again.

It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2018, 08:31:50 am »
The chalice in our palace is right by the bath, so I unscrew the shower head and cut Moby Turds into handy bite-sized chunks with the resulting jet. You need to keep your mouth shut, though, and wear glasses.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15 on: 01 January, 2018, 10:53:23 am »
One wonders whether the simplest thing to do would be to just tip some drain unblocker into the pan and let it get to work for half an hour or so before flushing, yet, again?  An experiment for the curious minded amongst us perhaps?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #16 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:12:52 pm »
Detergent works.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:15:12 am »
I have long been an advocate of old fashioned cisterns, with the efficiency only a large measure of kinetic energy can deliver.  But they do use a lot of water.  And can't really be used with pans designed for lower drops.  It's surely not beyond the wit of man to design a highly efficient lavatory - both in terms of flush effectiveness and low water usage - utilising the benefits of cistern height and design of pan.

I thoroughly failed the Fluid Mechanics part of my 1st yr BEng course, fwiw
Getting there...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #18 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:14:49 am »
I have long been an advocate of old fashioned cisterns, with the efficiency only a large measure of kinetic energy can deliver.  But they do use a lot of water.  And can't really be used with pans designed for lower drops.  It's surely not beyond the wit of man to design a highly efficient lavatory - both in terms of flush effectiveness and low water usage - utilising the benefits of cistern height and design of pan.

I thoroughly failed the Fluid Mechanics part of my 1st yr BEng course, fwiw
There was a programme on the TV a number of years ago where a design team went to various industry sectors and did design consultancy with the management of various companies. The one that sticks in my mind is when a leading design duo went to Armitage Shank, of the bog manufacturing persuasion. As you might expect, they did lost of aesthetic changes to a 'close coupled' throne, most of which had to me modified due to manufacturing constraints, but one suggestion that was rejected out of hand sticks in my mind. The designers suggested a Teflon coated interior to the business end, which seems eminently sensible with low volume water saving cisterns, but no, rejected on the grounds that no one would want that. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:18:01 am »
*insert facepalm
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:26:31 am »
It's an awful lot to do with good design ime.  The new thrones installed in the Bear-o-drome in the past eighteen months do not suffer from floaters or other flushing issues yet they are both close coupled.  Admittedly they were relatively expensive but in my book you have to pay somewhere in the mid range these days to get something that works and doesn't just resemble a PSO*. 

I dislike using the PSO at one of my sister's houses.  They are 'pretty' but not poop friendly and really do have flushing issues.

How do the Germans cope with their shelved pans?

* Porcelain shaped object

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:44:17 am »
Question then (being as I am still in the market for a new bathroom) - how on earth does one decide what constitutes a good toilet? It's not like you can try before you buy,  and I'm not aware of any bog review sites....,
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #22 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:56:29 am »
We replaced one that didn't flush properly; carefully picked one that didn't have anything that looked like it could be a 'shelf' and that had and even distribution of flush water holes all round the rim. It works really well
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #23 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:59:23 am »
It's hit and miss (hopefully not literally). Especially when you have an evil spouse who doesn't let you spend £5k on a Japanese robo-toilet.

Our toilet does the number 1/number 2 mode with a longer flush if you keep the button pressed. It mostly works, occasionally takes a couple of flushes and a glug of bleach if the lumberjack has visited. My wife claims it's just mine, but she's a girl and hence a big liar about such matters.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:24:56 pm »
There was a programme on the TV a number of years ago where a design team went to various industry sectors and did design consultancy with the management of various companies. The one that sticks in my mind is when a leading design duo went to Armitage Shank, of the bog manufacturing persuasion.

I remember that series. It was excellent. Can't remember what it was called though. I vaguely recall the Armitage Shanks episode but not the Teflon coating. The two episodes that stick in my mind are the one where they redesigned passenger seats on planes, and the one where they redesigned front door locks. For the plane one, they made the seats not only a lot more comfortable, but also considerably lighter and less bulky - something you'd imagine would be of great appeal to plane operators. The company rejected them because they felt passengers would feel less safe on a less substantial looking seat, even though they demonstrated that the new design met safety standards.

The locks one was interesting because they introduced the concept of remote control clickers as used in cars - an idea that again was rejected by the company at the time but now appears to be widely available. Clearly they were somewhat ahead of their time. So maybe we'll get Teflon toilets by 2030?

ETA - found it: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/better-by-design - I forgot they'd also reinvented the bra.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."