Author Topic: Knee pain  (Read 2002 times)

Knee pain
« on: 29 July, 2019, 04:49:16 pm »
So without any obvious injuries, I've been getting knee pain for a couple of months.

Yesterday however, I was out doing the Down to Downs perm and everything - knee wise - was fine, but then at about 75km in they just gave way and hurt - a lot so I packed it in.

Today though, the right knee is fine, but the left knee still really hurts, as in, I can't use it to stand with.

I know all the usual culprits, cleat alignment and so forth, and I thing that the saddle height, fore/aft is right.

Is there anything you guys thing i might be missing?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Knee pain
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2019, 04:54:09 pm »
No idea how old* you are, but my similar knee behavior is degenerative (read - it's knackered due to an excessive ammount of living). Get thee to a Dr's and see if they'll arrange a scan.

*of course, age is not always relevant.

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:23:20 pm »
No idea how old* you are, but my similar knee behavior is degenerative (read - it's knackered due to an excessive ammount of living). Get thee to a Dr's and see if they'll arrange a scan.

*of course, age is not always relevant.

^
 ^^^
   ^
   ^
   ^

Wot e sed. I know. I've just had a knee replacement op (17 Jul) de to patella degeneration.

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:44:18 pm »
Does help to know where the pain is localized, as the problem can be narrowed down

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:36:16 pm »
Does help to know where the pain is localized, as the problem can be narrowed down
Answering two questions at once.

I'm not old, 23 as I write.

Pain is localised around the kneecap itself, and in the area below.

« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2019, 08:48:05 pm »
Kneecap pain caused problems with my last few rides and I've been off the bike and worrying about PBP for the last few weeks. A bike fitter reckoned a too-low saddle was to blame (anterior knee pain), and tight hamstrings and quads the trigger. Physio, massages, stretches and rest have helped, and the pain is now much reduced – I just finished a trial 200 (probably ill advisedly) and only my left knee was a minor problem. A low saddle is known to cause anterior knee pain, but a physio or bike fit (or both) is probably sensible.

« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »
Kneecap pain caused problems with my last few rides and I've been off the bike and worrying about PBP for the last few weeks. A bike fitter reckoned a too-low saddle was to blame (anterior knee pain), and tight hamstrings and quads the trigger. Physio, massages, stretches and rest have helped, and the pain is now much reduced – I just finished a trial 200 (probably ill advisedly) and only my left knee was a minor problem. A low saddle is known to cause anterior knee pain, but a physio or bike fit (or both) is probably sensible.

You'll excuse me if I do a 20km test rather than a 200km! ;)

« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2019, 01:32:47 pm »
Loads of different things can cause knee pain. I'd recommend going to a physio and getting a diagnosis from someone who can prod the knee and see how it responds to various proddings. Preferably a sports physio, because they will probably know more about bike riding issues than a general one, though most should be relatively clued up.

« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2019, 01:57:07 pm »
Have you had an actual bike fit?

A

« Reply #9 on: 31 July, 2019, 02:58:58 pm »
at about 75km in they just gave way and hurt - a lot so I packed it in.

This sounds very similar to me on the Round the Island, actually only a mile from the finish so closer to 100km.  Fortunately we were on the tandem and after some tricky starting procedures as I couldn't weight bear we were able to pedal 3 legged to the ferry.  The pain had eased by the time time we got there.

I was diagnosed with a medial meniscus tear which was repaired during an arthroscopy.  The tear had got caught between the hard bits.  I recovered well, a week on crutches then stationary bike for a week building up to cycling to work again after 2 weeks.

It's a common injury amongst those that play football or squash - I've played neither!

« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2019, 05:40:43 pm »
Hmm - never got round to checking your bike setup.

Freedom for your feet to roam a bit helps (IMHO).
Saddle at a good height (not too low).
Stretching.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2019, 01:48:20 pm »
Hmm - never got round to checking your bike setup.

Freedom for your feet to roam a bit helps (IMHO).
Saddle at a good height (not too low).
Stretching.
Have double checked saddle height - pretty confident I've got it set up correctly...
Often forget to stretch, that could be a culprit.

May have to ask you to take a look at some point MrCharly.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'll have a Dr take a look at the joint.

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2019, 03:10:17 pm »
IANAE, but I think that saddle too far back can be a trigger as well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2019, 04:04:47 pm »
I had really painful pain across the top of my kneecaps. Went to  the physio at work, was told to remove shoes/socks, and walk across the room. Within 3 steps, I was diagnosed with really really really flat feet.
One pair of custom orthotics (and £175) later, and I would say my knees are at about 95% pain free.

« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2019, 09:13:45 pm »
Go and see a sports physio. Every time I’ve had knee pain it’s never been the knee, it’s always been the connecting muscles that are a bit tight. Usually hip flexor for me.
My physio says that the knee is a relatively simple joint, but a tight muscle to one side can cause the kneecap to track incorrectly causing pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk