Author Topic: I realised those around me lead a sedentary life when...  (Read 6924 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: I realised those around me lead a sedentary life when...
« Reply #75 on: 17 September, 2023, 05:51:21 am »
I have much sympathy for overweight people, having been obese almost my whole adult life.

For the last 2 years I have been at the correct weight and this is entirely through switching to low carb food. Eating low carb (under 100g per day) means I no longer have the burning hunger and the constant worries about where I will get food. When I am on holiday and not eating low carb, I eat about double what I actually should. I am only on top of things because I track everything I eat on an app and only have 2-5 cheat days per month. This is tough and it will be lifelong, but my body reacts to  carby food by saying I am hungry two hours later.

If I had not found low carb I would be in the queue for wegovy. My sister is on it and we discussed how it works - it takes away her mega hunger, the same way as low carb does for me. She is now looking into low carb but with her family situation I don’t think it would work for her - so I for one am happy wegovy is there.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #76 on: 18 September, 2023, 11:32:59 am »
10 miles walking would be about 2.5 hours to 3.5 hours if relatively flat and paved. All bets off in technical mountain terrain, or at altitude.

I realised that I led a sedentary life after being invited by colleagues to do the Great Cautley Challenge

At the time it was said to be 30 miles long and they did prepare me with some shorter walks, maybe to check I was up to it.  Oh, and the catch was it had to be done in under 10 hours.  As a student, I'd done the Three Peaks walk, but there was no time limit other than the hours of daylight.

For the greater part of the challenge I was doing fine, but ISTR the last stage was one of the hardest and I was really struggling, part-fatigue and partly a blister I had developed.  I just managed it, struggling in at 9hours 57minutes. During the walk we were passed by several fell-runners who were running the route :o 

My colleagues, one of whom was a 6'3" former coal miner, found it relatively easy.  He was a pretty good cyclist too. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #77 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:20:42 pm »
10 miles walking would be about 2.5 hours to 3.5 hours if relatively flat and paved. All bets off in technical mountain terrain, or at altitude.

The average walking speed is 2.5 to 3.0 mph (slower than many people realise).  Most people would struggle to maintain that speed for any significant distance if, as you say, it's not flat and paved.

On the Camino I average about 3.5mph in the morning and 2.5 mph in the afternoon.  I'll be even slower this time round as I've picked up a bad cold from Mr R and I'm still not quite over it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Afasoas

« Reply #78 on: 22 September, 2023, 04:24:28 pm »
Modern life really doesn't help, does it?

Working from home == sat on the backside for anything upwards of 7.5 hours a day.
Add to that time that has to be invested in other non-negotiable things - dependents/caring.

I'm not megafit these days - but I can happily walk 10 miles at a good pace. I can still cycle 20 or 30 miles.
I do have a carvehicle but don't use it for anything local. I really want to do without (it's very costly thing to maintain for a few thousand miles each year) and I think nothing of walking three miles into town and back again rather than causing congestion and burning fuel.

But I've terrible circulation - which is hereditary. My uncle wasn't much older than me when he died and he'd lost part of his leg due to bad circulation.

« Reply #79 on: 23 September, 2023, 08:27:00 pm »
I have much sympathy for overweight people, having been obese almost my whole adult life.

For the last 2 years I have been at the correct weight and this is entirely through switching to low carb food. Eating low carb (under 100g per day) means I no longer have the burning hunger and the constant worries about where I will get food. When I am on holiday and not eating low carb, I eat about double what I actually should. I am only on top of things because I track everything I eat on an app and only have 2-5 cheat days per month. This is tough and it will be lifelong, but my body reacts to  carby food by saying I am hungry two hours later.

Have you tried swapping out animal based carbs for plant based?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #80 on: 23 September, 2023, 10:19:34 pm »
WTF are animal based carbs?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #81 on: 23 September, 2023, 10:37:00 pm »
Meat?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #82 on: 23 September, 2023, 10:50:15 pm »
That's protein

« Reply #83 on: 23 September, 2023, 11:21:47 pm »
What, you think meat = protein and plants don't contain protein?
Seriously, the Chinese population eat more calories than westerners and are healthier.  Yes, even if you compare similar jobs and levels of exercise.  The difference is that the west consumes far more animal based calories whereas the Chinese diet is more based on plants + fish.
Spoiler: that's also the summary of almost all the chapters in "how not to die"; plants + fish.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #84 on: 23 September, 2023, 11:32:24 pm »
You mentioned meat based carbs, not plant based protein. I am interested to know what meat based carbs are.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #85 on: 24 September, 2023, 05:35:46 am »
Meat is mostly 0% carbs.

The carbs I eat are almost 100% plant-based, my protein is mostly meat, dairy, fish and olives.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #86 on: 24 September, 2023, 10:13:53 am »
But my meat is always encased in pastry, plenty of carbs there.
No tittering at the back :)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

ian

« Reply #87 on: 24 September, 2023, 11:25:04 am »
You mentioned meat based carbs, not plant based protein. I am interested to know what meat based carbs are.

To be pedantic, most animal proteins are glycosylated. More so than plants. Insects and crustaceans fall between the two.

I don’t think the Chinese eat a lot of fish, until recently it was a rarity outside of coastal regions. Seafood is Japanese thing.

Basically, eat less protein, especially red meat, and far more veg. Carbs will take care of themselves, unlike a lot of the world, we don’t need to worry about too few calories.