Author Topic: Benjamin Allen's Spring Tonic, 200km, Tewkesbury, Saturday 1st April  (Read 4332 times)

Enjoy a pretty spring journey cycling through the Herefordshire cider orchards & hop yards. Good quality controls used throughout the ride, all experienced in handling audaxers' requirements.

Predominantly on a journey through one of the UK's most rural counties, along The Golden Valley & through The Forest of Dean. Only one climb of note - worth it for the vistas. The ride leaves Tewkesbury and crossess the soguthern end of The Malvern Hills near Ledbury. Continue along gently rolling roads to Leominster for breakfast.

Passing through any number of Herefordshire's pretty villages and pretty hamlets, crossing the River Wye at the ancient toll bridge at Whitney-on-Wye then gently rolling onwards for a re-fuel at Hay-on-Wye - bookshop capital of the UK.. The next stage passes through the aptly titled 'Golden Valley', a real cycling gem. Then onwards to cross the River Wye again near Goodrich, entering the Forest of Dean at Kerne Bridge.

The climb to Ruardean rewards you with views of much of the route already enjoyed, before rolling through Cinderford and on to the afternoon control at The Dean Heritage Centre in Lower Soudley - a former site of iron smelting in Roman times. Final section is a quiet and gentle warm-down finale cycle ride out of the forest, as you make your way along the upper reaches of the Severn vale to arrivee in Tewkesbury.

Along the route there are too many historic features to list, be it historic buildings or natural features.

Entry fee includes the option of a light breakfast at start, on-line entry via PayPal, postal entry also welcome. Instant validation available for this event, so no need for brevet card return SAE. GPS files & Route sheet supplied to all entrants (MS Xls) via email (unless a paper route sheet is specified with entry, in which case only supply one SAE).

Comprehensive event-support details (parking, camping, lodging etc.) supplied to all entrants.

Event already well subscribed, so it's highly likely that the event closure date could be brought forward.

EDIT @15:30. Duplicate text removed.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Benjamin Allen's Spring Tonic, 200km, Tewkesbury, Saturday 1st April
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2017, 07:47:44 pm »
Thank you to all that have already entered this event, we're currently about half full.

Any profit from this event will be donated to Marie Curie.

To see where the monies go have a look here
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/&ved=0ahUKEwjy5KnAy7jSAhXoKsAKHX9NBGYQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHjqPSB_sggJTeAsGghvX9UKQ0-xw&sig2=-cZeW8um-uDpWbtc68Ps8g
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
Have just entered this as I haven't done a Blacksheep Event for a few months.
Looking forward to it very much and I don't recall having done this one before.
Anyone else?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:21:34 pm »
It'll be good to see you again Pete. I'm in.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2017, 03:30:56 pm »
Im in .Havent done a Blacksheep ride for a little while now, looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:49:35 pm »
I'll be there, I shall have the ECE it again  ;D
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:40:34 pm »

I've been missing your excellent photos for use on the Malmesbury Clarion CC blog.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2017, 09:44:32 pm »

I've been missing your excellent photos for use on the Malmesbury Clarion CC blog.  ;D
That's a good point I haven't taken many at all this year so far  ;D :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
Just entered.  Hopefully this time I will be able to ride - I think I've got 100% DNS record on all of Mark's rides I've entered in recent years. :facepalm:

« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2017, 02:10:54 pm »
Ride info should be in your inboxes, of course if you're SP is btinternet.com or btconnect.com,  then it could be anywhere.

« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2017, 08:04:27 pm »
Got the email via Hotmail no problem.

Just to clarify Mark is the Leominster control "Coffee at 1 " as in the email or Flying Dutchman café as in the route sheet? Looks as if they are close to each other anyway.

Looking forward to this one. :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2017, 10:38:45 pm »
Got the email via Hotmail no problem.

Just to clarify Mark is the Leominster control "Coffee at 1 " as in the email or Flying Dutchman café as in the route sheet? Looks as if they are close to each other anyway.

Looking forward to this one. :thumbsup:

First control Coffee#1, Flying Dutchman might not be open. They are very  close to eachother.

Coffee#1 was formerly Brains' "The Three Horseshoes PH"*. Both are owned by same suits.

* If you have a look on Google Earth

« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
Ride info should be in your inboxes, of course if you're SP is btinternet.com or btconnect.com,  then it could be anywhere.
Are there any entrants that have not yet received  ride info? This is mainly aimed at those that entered during the last four or five days, all others should have received mailings during the initial drop.

« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2017, 05:36:59 pm »
Some of you may be aware that the Royal Hop Pole is currently closed (and has been since last Saturday). This is a planned closure for refurbishment,  they will be open for business on Saturday 1st, and if you're booked-in for residence on friday the 31st of march, they will be open for you also. Not sure about any other facilities on Friday. 

If you're in any doubt about your stay, the number to call is 01684 274039. Please note this is not the usual hop pole number, but a line divert to The Crown in Worcester. They're handling all queries

Thank you Bairdy (OTP) for raising this query.

« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:47:32 am »
I remember signs up at your last event to this effect.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2017, 10:49:11 am »
Cheers Mark, so will I be good for a burger with an alcoholic drink at the end or will I need to visit the Abbey Fryer?   ???  ;D  :thumbsup:  8)

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #16 on: 01 April, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »
Another great Mark Rigby ride.  Mark's GPX and route description thru Leominster were both spot on, but still there were riders spread out thru the Town looking for the Cafe Control !     It took us a while to get to the start of the best part from the Toll Bridge before Hay, where Mark laid on excellent cakes and let us go thru for free !   Then We were soon on the quiet lanes (and long Hills).   All in all an excellent route and The Dean Cafe did us proud again with amazing food and Service.   Thank you John L and the Bristolians Doug and Elvin for such fine company.  And thank you Long John Silver aka Mark (GWS) for laying on such a scenic route as always.

« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »
Thank you every one for you supporting the ride and the controls at Leominster, Hay-on-Wye and Soudley.

Although there were showers at various times during the day, it would seem that most stayed dry through the day.

Congratulations to (I think) twelve new randonnuers.

Thank you all, for your understanding at the ride departure  :'(

I will be shortly forwarding the net proceeds from the ride towards to the chosen cause.

Sam Weller will be hosting his April foolery on May 27th, details at  www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-638/

« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2017, 11:51:00 pm »
Another Blacksheep success.
Breakfast at the start was a nice touch.
Didnt even get rained on but apparently some of the faster riders got caught in a heavy shower.

2 Puncture fairy visits was a bit annoying one front one back within a few kms of each other.Must have ridden over something nasty.

Views from Rurdean hill were magnificent so I stopped several times to admire the beauty on the way up  ;D
Joking aside some of the views were stunning, especially as being slow I rode back through the vale during a magnificent sunset.

Well done Mark on the 2 minute silence and reflection at the start.

Chris N

« Reply #19 on: 02 April, 2017, 06:43:13 am »
Great ride thanks Mark.  Had a bit of an explore :facepalm: on the way to Ledbury and ended up in the lanes S of Eastnor - but they were very nice so I don't mind.  Rode with NigelS for a bit to the (very nice) cafe in Leominster, then with another small group to Hay.  Service at the Hay cafe was great and the tailwind along the Golden Valley was much appreciated.  Not so keen on the climb to Ruardean but I made it to the top, just.  I didn't make it up the short climb to the White Hart in Ruspidge though. :-[  Sitting in the sun at the Heritage centre was great, as was the last leg along the Severn Vale to the finish. :thumbsup:

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #20 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:22:38 am »
A lovely ride once again, thanks to Mark.
Leaving Hay in a shower I stopped to put my waterproof on only to be rewarded with instant sunshine and a pressure cooker experience on the notable climb to follow. Confess to walking the last bit of this one. From there on the views and descents were spectacular and my anxieties about trying out a new insulin regime proved to be unfounded. Lovely to have a sustained flat finish, too.
Been audaxing for 10 years now, and still not getting any quicker, but the company's better at the tail of the field.
Mark, please pass on our thanks to the Heritage Centre - they provided excellent, patient service despite being keen to close the doors (everyone that entered was asked "Are you the last one?")
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #21 on: 02 April, 2017, 09:46:46 pm »
Thanks Mark, another great day out even if the legs were not game.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Re: Benjamin Allen's Spring Tonic, 200km, Tewkesbury, Saturday 2 Feb
« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2019, 06:14:13 am »
Anyone out there with local knowledge of the route who can give an update on the likely snow/ice situation for tomorrow?

« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2019, 06:33:10 am »
It's quite snowy here in Gloucestershire this morning and more forecast for today. Having said that, the course follows main roads for the first half so that part at least should be passable. After that it gets more laney, but there would be alternative roads if you want to take them. So I think it's a case of watching this space - I'm sure BS would cancel the event if the weather is too bad.

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:54:26 am »
We had a few cm of snow in Cheltenham overnight and it is still coming down but pretty gently.

All the main roads seem to be clear - I guess the main danger for tomorrow would be ice.