Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576064 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10600 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:38:50 pm »
I'm not having a good week for transport.  :(

Rather than the trains today it was my car that decided to let me down. The engine warning light came on when in the outside lane of the M26. As the display also lit the RED STOP light I did. An hour and a bit later the nice man from the RAC arrived, said as it appeared to be running OK he would follow me to Clacket Lane and then plug in his diagnostic box.

"Intermittent Fault - Low pressure in the injector rail".

He dutifully cleared the error and sent me on my way. I got to Junction 11 when on accelerating from 60 to 70 to pass an HGV the dash lit up again and the engine hesitated (power pulsed off and on). Cue my exiting from the motorway and driving home very carefully with no electronic stabilisation and an engine management light but not the STOP light this time. The engine feels down on power and I now have no transport other than to cycle to site tomorrow with the laptop in one pannier and the PPE in the other.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10601 on: 22 November, 2018, 09:50:05 pm »
I'd go for the laptop in one pannier and get them to issue more PPE when you get there option.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #10602 on: 22 November, 2018, 10:08:04 pm »
No spare boots on site and I want my warm jacket but the hard hat can be borrowed from the spares box.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10603 on: 26 November, 2018, 10:43:56 am »
A month ago the local authority sent me a reminder for a water/sewage-disposal/garbage-collection bill I'd missed paying on the dot, which I duly paid. The reminders just carry the 19-digit invoice number and the amount they want. Last week I received another reminder, but for a smaller amount, so I just thought "shit, I missed another one" and went on-line to pay it. Curiously, when I started to type in the invoice number, Firefox filled it in from memory. Duh?

Called the authority: turns out their system has managed to register payment of the entire invoice, but is now sending reminders for every separate item. "Just put them in the bin".  ??? :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10604 on: 26 November, 2018, 06:13:57 pm »
A Dear Niece sent me a video wot she had recorded on her mobile phone.  It was shot in portrait mode, so I told her off. She explained it was for an Instastory, something that can be done on Instagram and that Instagram doesn't let you shoot in landscape.

No wonder the country is going to the dogs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10605 on: 27 November, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »
Why can’t anyone find a cure for the common cold? Stupid bloody germs.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #10606 on: 27 November, 2018, 06:52:12 pm »
I'm working away this week and currently sat in a cosy Lake District pub waiting for my steak to arrive. On the table in front of me is today's Daily Express: God it's crap, not as hateful as the Mail, just completely depressing, nothing but moaning from front page to back page, little news and pretty much fuck all journalism.  Who buys this bilge. (Except my mum :facepalm: )

« Reply #10607 on: 27 November, 2018, 06:54:48 pm »
Ops, sorry folks, I intended to post this in the grumble thread, not as a stand alone post, just realised my mistake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10608 on: 27 November, 2018, 06:58:56 pm »
My father used to get it every day, but I think he’s only an occasional reader now. He hangs on every word the Forsyth chap writes.

On a similar note, I had occasion to view a copy of the Sun last week when we decided to have fish and chips for tea. Fortunately the fish and chips weren’t wrapped in it, but it was on the table where one could sit while waiting for your fish to be cooked. I stopped turning the pages after very short while. Every headline was illiterated, with words being made up to allow this should a real word not fit. It was just total garbage.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10609 on: 27 November, 2018, 07:17:40 pm »
'illiterated'. I know what you wanted to say but somehow that seems more apt...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10610 on: 27 November, 2018, 08:04:13 pm »
Thanks mods :thumbsup:

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10611 on: 27 November, 2018, 08:21:27 pm »
Quote from: Joe.B
..today's Daily Express: God it's crap, not as hateful as the Mail, just completely depressing, nothing but moaning...

A late friend of mine, dead these 20 odd years, used to call it the, "Daily Distress" for just that reason and it became my pet name for it too.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10612 on: 27 November, 2018, 09:07:20 pm »
I was going to write something here, but I can't remember what.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10613 on: 28 November, 2018, 12:13:49 am »
A Dear Niece sent me a video wot she had recorded on her mobile phone.  It was shot in portrait mode, so I told her off. She explained it was for an Instastory, something that can be done on Instagram and that Instagram doesn't let you shoot in landscape.

No wonder the country is going to the dogs.

Amen to that!
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10614 on: 01 December, 2018, 10:51:48 am »
FFS, Google. If I type "Banff" into your search box, at least have the grace to present the one true original Scottish Banff (home of Brig'o'Banff whisky) on the first page, and not 57 bits of irrelevant detail about that cardboard Canuck replica.

« Reply #10615 on: 01 December, 2018, 11:02:07 am »
FFS, Google. If I type "Banff" into your search box, at least have the grace to present the one true original Scottish Banff (home of Brig'o'Banff whisky) on the first page, and not 57 bits of irrelevant detail about that cardboard Canuck replica.

Search engine optimisation, y'all...

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine's unpaid results—often referred to as "natural", "organic", or "earned" results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a website appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users; these visitors can then be converted into customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

What you complain about is the relatively innocuous end of what SEO gets used for...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/how-the-trump-russia-data-machine-games-google-to.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10616 on: 01 December, 2018, 11:11:01 am »
Fluff. Household full. Where does it all come from? I know that dust in part is human sheddings but where does fluff come from. And more to the point, why is it that two minutes after I’ve vacuumed every last vestige of fluff from every damn crook and nanny is the another metric tonne of the damn stuff blowing tumbleweed like across the floors.
Pah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10617 on: 01 December, 2018, 12:44:26 pm »
Fluff. Household full. Where does it all come from? I know that dust in part is human sheddings but where does fluff come from.

Fibres from fabrics (clothing, carpets, etc), mostly.

It's slightly less annoying than human hair.

ElyDave

« Reply #10618 on: 01 December, 2018, 01:18:00 pm »
Much less annoying, at least fluff has a secondary use as camp fire kindling/tinder

« Reply #10619 on: 01 December, 2018, 01:37:52 pm »
Biological scientists, Excel, sig figs and log mantissas. 

What a mess.

« Reply #10620 on: 01 December, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »
Much less annoying, at least fluff has a secondary use as camp fire kindling/tinder

I've got a mate called Fluff, it's probably his only use.

ElyDave

« Reply #10621 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:49:54 pm »
Biological scientists, Excel, sig figs and log mantissas. 

What a mess.

Ftfy

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10622 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:50:24 pm »
Perhaps I should package it and sell it on. Whitegables fluff for all your campfire starting needs

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10623 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:56:46 pm »

Search engine optimisation, y'all...

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine's unpaid results—often referred to as "natural", "organic", or "earned" results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a website appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users; these visitors can then be converted into customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

What you complain about is the relatively innocuous end of what SEO gets used for...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/how-the-trump-russia-data-machine-games-google-to.html

Oh, I realize all that. It's still bloody bad-mannered and they should know better. Jumped-up pipsqueaks.

« Reply #10624 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:57:25 pm »

>:( #DustBunnyLivesMatter   :demon:

Or Dust puppy lives, for that matter...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche