Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576187 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10550 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »
"They didn't have HB leads in 0.5 mm so I brought you 0.7."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I give up.

Don't you have an inverse shim?

Right enough, I have a length of negative-thickness brass tubing in the workshop. It's 3 mm, but if I cut it in sections and thread all the bits together it ought to work.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10551 on: 09 November, 2018, 05:33:53 pm »
Tfl webshite. Tried the journey planner on my phone - blank result. Tried a different browser - blank result. Phone is an OS version out of date so tried two different browsers on the new kindle. Blank result.

How do I get a job where no one gives a shit if what I do works? How can I get paid for going to the pub instead of working?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #10552 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:39:58 pm »
The 12:58 is now not leaving until approx 13:45 🙄

Eurostar Barstewards.  They used to give you a free ticket to anywhere on their network if you were more than 60 minutes late.  >:(

Because your journey was delayed by more than two hours you are entitled to 50% of the cost of the affected ticket either as an e-voucher or as a cash refund.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10553 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:17:44 pm »
Tfl cartographers: Yes sure, the fact that the southbound 27 takes a totally different route to the north bound 27 south of Marylebone really is an irrelevant detail. Showing both purple lines would so clutter your work.  I mean, it's not like one could end up two and a half miles from where one began one's journey by trusting your crap is it? The aesthetic is, at the end of the day, far more important than disseminating information on a public information web shite.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #10554 on: 10 November, 2018, 07:03:44 pm »
Our kitchen smoke alarm has turned into an inverse salad detector. I blame the random free with something AAs that have leaked. My cooking really wasn’t that burnt, honest. It’s radio linked to two other alarms, so I need to try and find a matching detector.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #10555 on: 10 November, 2018, 10:19:48 pm »
"They didn't have HB leads in 0.5 mm so I brought you 0.7."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I give up.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Well, sanding down is proabably easier than scaling up 0.5 -> 0.7, so it's not ALL hopeless / semi-WIN! for the other side ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #10556 on: 11 November, 2018, 12:18:58 am »
On movie posters so often the actors’ names are not above the correct person on the picture.

Really disconcerting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10557 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:29:49 am »
O Captan, Mercaptan!

Went out to the workshop around 7 pm yesterday and found it stinking of the stuff: the cylinder in my gas heater appears to have problems, probably in the tap washer or whatever kind of seal they use.  Cylinder's empty now, so it appears that around 10 kg of gas out of 13 have leaked out. Open window & fans have cleared the pong but I'm left with a titchy electric fan heater until I can get to the shop where I got the stuff. :(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10558 on: 11 November, 2018, 09:51:34 am »
Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia, say after me: Holborn and High Holborn are not the same thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10559 on: 11 November, 2018, 01:39:08 pm »
First time I was in that neck of the boondocks I had the strange experience of watching a rather oddly-dressed bloke walk into a shop about 30 feet away and walk out of another about 10 seconds later, 100 yards down the street and on the opposite side.

'Twas Hatton Garden, m'lud.  I was young and innocent, and newly down from Scotland.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10560 on: 11 November, 2018, 09:55:26 pm »
Italian Facebook friend has just shared an Italian news story about measles and unvaccinated kids
illustrated with a picture of a child with chickenpox.

Bad stock images annoy me in any language!

« Reply #10561 on: 12 November, 2018, 07:54:39 am »
First time I was in that neck of the boondocks I had the strange experience of watching a rather oddly-dressed bloke walk into a shop about 30 feet away and walk out of another about 10 seconds later, 100 yards down the street and on the opposite side.

'Twas Hatton Garden, m'lud.  I was young and innocent, and newly down from Scotland.

;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10562 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:25:43 am »
Italian Facebook friend has just shared an Italian news story about measles and unvaccinated kids

The encouraging thing about that is that the diseases have become uncommon enough that ordinary folk can't tell them apart. When I was a child everybody knew them, usually from personal experience.

Of course, we're headed back in that direction, but we're a long way off yet.

« Reply #10563 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:10:51 am »
I'm in my %Megacorp's Milton Keynes office, in which there is a drop-in centre that has precisely 3 desks, side by side.

How much of a knob do you have to be to have your computer playing your* favourite radio station? On speakers.

* as in, not mine.

ian

« Reply #10564 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:30:49 am »

Maybe it says something about the success of vaccination that we don't recognise the symptoms of such diseases.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10565 on: 12 November, 2018, 03:09:41 pm »
Ahem.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10566 on: 12 November, 2018, 03:59:39 pm »
Yes, a service station on the M40 is unlikely to be a haven of peace and serenity, but holding phone conversations using the speaker on your mobile rather than clamping it to your ear doesn't help.

Bah.

(she's gone now, so it's a bit quieter)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10567 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:51:46 pm »
People don't hold phones to their ears any more.  They hold it flat in front of them with the mouth end to their mouths.  I've no idea why they do it, but I expect it works better if you put it on speakerphone.

ian

« Reply #10568 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:54:17 pm »
The microphones are so good these days it doesn't really matter how you hold them. I can leave mine on my remote command centre desk and free-range while I talk.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10569 on: 12 November, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »
Or at least the GSM codec throws so much detail away that microphone performance becomes irrelevant  >:(

Regardless, it's the phone->ear side that people seem to be doing wrong.  I wonder if both of these are an inevitable consequence of the lack of side-tone?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10570 on: 12 November, 2018, 07:16:19 pm »
Dunno, could be to do with using video? Or people who are used to using those cord microphone things (so you can walk along the street talking into the ether, a privilege previously only available to tramps and the certifiably insane)?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10571 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:34:11 pm »
My Dad tends to use his home phone on speaker and hold it to his ear.

H seems to hear it best that way.

He does use a hearing aid and this is within the privacy of his own flat, so that's fine by me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10572 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:32:56 am »
People don't hold phones to their ears any more.  They hold it flat in front of them with the mouth end to their mouths.  I've no idea why they do it, but I expect it works better if you put it on speakerphone.

I reckon it's to keep their brains* away from all that dangerous radiayshun.

* term used loosely

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10573 on: 13 November, 2018, 09:07:56 pm »
British Library,

Is it that difficult to design your 404 page in such a way that it includes a link to your site's Home Page, perhaps under the red rectangle with the words BRITISH LIBRARY writ on it in white?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #10574 on: 17 November, 2018, 01:13:49 pm »
Surrey filled in some of the many potholes at the top of our hill. But not all of them, just random ones which didn't include the one by kerb where they're supposed to be painting double yellow lines (one day, that's really grumble). I'm not entirely clear why they filled one, but not the identical one next door to it. They had all the equipment to hand right there.

It's not really an issue, I'm just curious as to their logic, a metre beyond the top of the hill is a private street that is pretty much a potholed gravel lane. Also, our hill terminates in a steep stepped footpath (100 steps) up the remainder of the hill. They curiously tarmacced random steps that I don't recall being in any especial state of disrepair compared to the others.