Author Topic: Le Grand Depart from Leeds  (Read 13401 times)

Re: Le Grand Depart from Leeds
« Reply #100 on: 05 July, 2014, 06:51:07 pm »
Yes, sorry!  Whenever I do Holme Moss, I lose all sense of, well, everything!

« Reply #101 on: 05 July, 2014, 07:00:19 pm »
I think that the hubs are a good idea for those that can't be arsed to visit the countryside cos they are scared of getting lost etc.
Whatever floats your boat ,I suppose.
Or because you have a mother and a mad dog to entertain/look after!

« Reply #102 on: 05 July, 2014, 07:13:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #103 on: 05 July, 2014, 07:25:34 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Yep, absolutely. A total hero.

Ruth

« Reply #104 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:21:12 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Yep, absolutely. A total hero.

Yep.

He's also funny, charming and handsome.

Is he married?

« Reply #105 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:22:44 pm »
yes with numerous children. I've heard he's supposed to be a lovely dad as well as charming, heroic and talented.

Some people, huh.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ruth

« Reply #106 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:31:48 pm »
Damn.

« Reply #107 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:54:59 pm »
We have just got back from the most amazing day out. We parked at my parents house on the edge of Richmond and rode up to Grinton and up the hill past the hostel.
Coffee and cake was purchased from a roadside tent set up by Herriot Hospice supporters and I was happy to support them.
At 10 a.m the verges were full and more people kept arriving on bikes or on foot, many on a bridleway that connected to one of the car parks in the valley bottom.
We spent hours waiting , cheering little kids riding up the hill and chatting to all around us .
We could see the road before Reeth, the green at Reeth and the road climbing up out of Grinton.
 As the tension mounted we took up position on the tarmac.Whilst many were prepared to sit further away, we were determined to be next to the action.
We saw the caravan, and yes Deano, it did almost get stuck, there were certainly some very smelly clutches on some vehicles and they had to stop sometimes to make sure they had a clear run. Loads of motos and then it happened.
Jens Voigt was past in a flash, the crowd so close he was almost invisible.
 Next the peloton stormed through not missing a beat as they went up a 14% gradient . All the team cars ,seemingly intent on putting at least one spectator in hospital, and then the voiture balai. A few more police cars and that was it,game over.
We got on our bikes and rode on to Leyburn on a traffic free road. We watched Cav's crash on the big screen and then rode back to our start point, passing a 5 mile queue of cars . the sun was shining and for once, motorists, were in the main ,cyclist friendly.
I have never seen anything like it and certainly growing up in the area ,I never ever envisaged the biggest bike race in the world passing through countryside that  I know so well.
I hope everyone had a good day and I am grateful that so many people embraced  the spirit of the tour .
Up here we are often viewed as dour northerners with little to say to outsiders. I think today that actions have been  louder than mere words. 

« Reply #108 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:59:29 pm »
I was a bit below you, madcow - we were just above the first steep pull out of Grinton, and opposite the YHA (where the bar was open).

It was a great atmosphere, the frenzy of the caravan and the anticipation, watching the road past Reeth School to try and spot the riders. Then the swarm of choppers came whirring down the valley like Apocalypse now, and it was gone.

Might watch it on the telly tomorrow, that way I'll know what's happening.

« Reply #109 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »
We had a fantastic day, too. Mum stayed last night (along with a front room full of CTUK friends from London who didn't make it to Skipton until 2.30 am!) and this morning Mum, Woolly and I pottered down the ginnel to watch the caravane publicitaire. I then nipped back up the hill to the house to let the dog out and pick up a little stool (no, not the dog's - a wooden one) to stand on as I am Ms ShortArse.

I pottered back down to join Mum and her many new friends, who had dragged her up onto a stone bench for a better view and were plying her with wine. We watched Jens and the rest of the breakaway, then the peloton itself, whizzing through the streets of Skiptonia. The atmosphere was fantastic and we were surrounded by people in various states of giddy excitement. It really was something. It felt so odd to go home and then say to myself, "Right, I'm just off back down the hill to the Tour de France." Surreal.

We headed back home to watch the coverage on TV accompanied by slices of delicious cake made by a lovely friend and fetched up by the CTUK lot (featuring little yellow bicycles, dry stone walls and National Trust signs!). To add to the day's delights, we were lucky to be visited by NSTN and Rob and Cam, followed by Ham and Mrs Ham -- it was so lovely to see you all.

Seeing Cavendish crash on the big screen left us and the huge Skipton crowds a little subdued, but it didn't detract from the real winner of the day. Yorkshire!

A fantastic day to mark our seventh anniversary (and seven years since we watched the Tour in London). Where shall we watch the Tour in 2021?  :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #110 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:43:53 pm »

- a wooden one) to stand on as I am Ms ShortArse.

the best things come in small packages ;)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #111 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:53:44 pm »
I was in Hawes, the atmosphere was just fantastic all day.  Cafes were full at 0530, serving breakfast, and by 8 there wasn't a sausage or rasher of bacon to be had anywhere!  A few pics here, click 'em for bigness;  there are a few more here The hub thing worked brilliantly

(I think that may be a Yorkshire joke).  Srsly, sat in the sun eating deep-fried Wensleydale and chips and watching the depart on the big screen

Well, some did, but mobile signal isn't all that in Hawes, so some just spodded off the NFU-provided hotspot

After the sendoff, just nipped across the field to see the caravan come through

Back for more big telly, then Jens came storming through 5 minutes up (I think):

Back to the big screen again to watch the rest of the race, and the crowd swelled gradually as folk made their way there from the Cote de Buttertubs

What an astonishing day.

Ruth

« Reply #112 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:55:51 pm »
Bill, great photos, as always.

« Reply #113 on: 05 July, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »
Seems a vocal minority of tour riders weren't enamoured with the sheer numbers of spectators on the narrow lanes. According to twitter anyway, have seen greipel and eisel have had a little pop.

As much as I watched with pride and satisfaction that the majority were well behaved, I thought perhaps some of the numbers on the climbs were a little out of control.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #114 on: 05 July, 2014, 10:11:39 pm »

- a wooden one) to stand on as I am Ms ShortArse.

the best things come in small packages ;)
You're not wrong there, jogler.
As a chat-up line, it worked for me.  O:-)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #115 on: 05 July, 2014, 10:22:33 pm »
What a stage - really enjoyed that.   Managed to watch the second half as a recording without knowing the result.  Shame about the fallers.
(click to show/hide)

Jens is good value...

So tomorrow... Cote de Blubberhouses!   ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #116 on: 05 July, 2014, 10:36:46 pm »
That was fantastic.

I'm loving the Cote des. Particularly looking foward to the Cote de Jenkin Road tomorrow, it sounds so much better half in French.

« Reply #117 on: 05 July, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »
Funnily enough, I also mentioned  Apocalypse Now as the helis appeared and I am used to seeing army copters flying into Dishforth.
I bet the road back to Richmond was busy.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #118 on: 06 July, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
I do so hope you're wrong Doormat, but increasingly the weather forecasts are getting more and more accurate. I wouldn't blame any chap cycling tomorrow to be taking the course gingerly. Impacting a dry stone wall at speed will, I imagine, mean you're out the race, watching the rest of it from a hospital bed.
My brother crashed into a dry stone wall head first, on my sledge.  >:( He split his head open and had to get stitches.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #119 on: 06 July, 2014, 04:01:59 pm »
We saw it again today! Amazing day, even better than yesterday as we got closer to the riders. Woolly and I pootled over to Bolton Abbey (carrefour A59) on the bikes (yes, Woolly actually rode a bike!) and met my sister and her husband who had cycled from Calverley and walked up from Addingham. There were so many cyclists! Loads of roadies, plenty of mini-roadies and recumbents, tandems, tagalongs and folders. Everyone happy, smiling, chatting, laughing. I was high-fived by two police motorbikers. My sister picked up tons of publicity swag. Woolly had fun playing with his squeaky horn.  ;D It was all tremendous fun.

Home to find a Gus unpacking his panniers in the back yard! Turned out he was watching just around the corner from us.

« Reply #120 on: 06 July, 2014, 04:21:08 pm »
well I can only watch on Tv never mind the racing the crowds are amazing, 2.5million spectators quoted on twitter, just watching them going up Jenkin Road looking tired

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #121 on: 06 July, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »
(click to show/hide)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #122 on: 06 July, 2014, 05:20:14 pm »
Just back from a couple of nights at Kilnsey.  I got the train to York and cycled there on Friday, along the busy A59 for a while but worth it for some impressive tour decorations.  Then over that big hill from Pateley Bridge.

Saturday morning, across the road from the campsite to the pub.  With an hour to go before the caravan there were already people along both sides of the road, on a terrace next to the pub, and hundreds of cyclists heading up the road towards Kidstones (or Grinton?).

It rained a lot on Friday evening / night but brightened up on Saturday, so I had to take in some Theakstons to keep my fluid levels topped up.  Helped by 'DJ Wiggo' and a good selection of thumping 1980's and 1990's classics.

By the time the publicity caravan passed the crowd had grown even more and it felt like mass hysteria.  People crammed along both sides of the road, standing on pub tables.  Then the breakaway, and the peloton flashed passed past (time between the caravan and the riders to get another Theakstons).    The landlord even stopped serving for half an hour so the staff could see the tour go past.  That's impressive for Yorkshire ..... 

Today cycled back home from Kidstones, along a lot of the remaining route from Stage 1.  Apparently stage 1 was classed as 'flat' by Tour standards - didn't feel like that for me. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #123 on: 06 July, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »
Just back from trip to Masham and Keighley, a twin pronunciation test. Thanks to the Co-Op in Masham for the free food, and to the people of both towns for excellent days out. Video reports to follow.

red marley

« Reply #124 on: 06 July, 2014, 06:37:10 pm »
What a great day's racing. It has been so good to see mountain finish crowds 20 times over today. I felt an emotional mix of pride, incredulity and excitement seeing what could have been a classic Galibier type finish on the streets of Sheffield this afternoon. I've always felt that even though long Alpine climbs dwarf anything in England, the constant up and downs and steep gradients of typical UK hilly terrain can be a tougher ride.

(click to show/hide)