Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210788 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #700 on: 01 May, 2018, 10:20:15 am »
I rather winced this morning. I was driving out of a parked up cul de sac when a neighbor turned in. He then had to reverse out of the entrance to the cul de sac to let me past the parked cars. So far so normal.

The came the dunce, the cyclist who passed up the inside of my neighbor, who he had watched reverse out of the side turning, and then pass across the front of me who was now preparing to turn left out of the minor road with a car blocking the road from my right.  :o :facepalm: Fortunately I saw him, stopped and therefore blocked my neighbor from left hooking him.

essexian

« Reply #701 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:38:13 am »
Two in 100m yesterday afternoon.

Firstly, the senior on the road bike who overtook me on at the roundabout on Martins Drive and then promptly headed for the pavement. I mean why? Pavements are for people not bikes. Yes, okay the Newport Road is not the nicest road to cycle on: its narrow and carries quite a lot of traffic, but you seemed to have a decent bike and some speed so it should not have been a problem for you. Perhaps, a case of "all the gear and no idea?"

Talking about no idea...the other DOTD was the youth on what appeared to be an ebike who decided to overtake me and then do wheelies for several hundred yards in front of me in traffic. Twat. Even more so when the berk doubled back after I turned off to do the whole lot again.

This is the type of idiot who will eventually (IMHO) result in ebikes needing to be registered, taxed and helmets made a legal requirement....once that happens to ebikes, it will happen to us muscle powered riders too. This isn't a go at ebike rides overall, just the idiots who see them as a form of way of riding at speed with no need to bother with that stuff like a CBT or insurance etc.

fuzzy

« Reply #702 on: 13 May, 2018, 11:20:18 pm »
Sounds like it wasn't an e bike but a 'souped up' or dongled or doctored e bike so therefore not staying within the realms of e bike legislation. Just the sort of idiot that will persuade the polis to actually pay attention and deal with the lawbreakers and legislation dodgers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #703 on: 13 May, 2018, 11:42:51 pm »
Sounds like it wasn't an e bike but a 'souped up' or dongled or doctored e bike so therefore not staying within the realms of e bike legislation. Just the sort of idiot that will persuade the polis to actually pay attention and deal with the lawbreakers and legislation dodgers.

Or just one that complies with the more lax or complete absence of e-bike legislation that you get in some of the more FOREIGN parts of ABROAD.  Cheap and low-quality but impressively high-power kits are readily available on the interwebs from sellers in the Far East, primarily selling to USAnians (whose e-bike regulations vary state-by-state).

I expect e-bike enforcement will remain a case of not spectacularly failing the attitude test for the foreseeable future, much to the relief of those who need non-compliant systems for disability reasons[1].

[1] eg. Throttle-only operation to get you home after a known-dodgy-knee failure.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #704 on: 26 May, 2018, 07:55:37 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44264331

I know this isn't cycling, but I thought we had gone beyond this sort of reckless idiocy. Bloody good job it wasn't in winter.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #705 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:14:31 pm »
Reckless idiocy shows no danger of going out of fashion.

fuzzy

« Reply #706 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »
So, fuzzy is walking along the pavement adjacent to the moneygrubbing developers site next to his house. A trailer towing transit van slows on the other side of the other side of the road and does a bit of manouvering.

"He's going to reverse into the site entrance" thinks fuzzy. Some distance away, travelling towards him is a line of 3 or 4 cars with an accelerating hybrid rider at the head of the line.

The van is by now doing a quite capable trailer reverse and is crossing the lane in whch the cyclist and cars are travelling. The cars do the expected thing and slow down. The cyclist? Yup, you've guessed it, he stands and commences a head down sprint. Fuzzy look back and the gap is getting small. he shouts "Slow down, he's reversing!" Cyclist as he passes shouts "Fuck off!"

BANG! CLATTER! as the van sharply stops and the trailer load shifts. "Cunt!" shouts the driver at the rapidly progressing cyclist. "Correct" responds fuzzy.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #707 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:26:36 am »
^
What a heart-warming story Fuzzmeister, and one that appears to be replicated elsewhere. I don't mean the precise scenario you describe, but rather the attitude we pleasant cyclists witness with other so-called cyclists. I say so-called, because they are not of our ilk – those, and I'm sure you and I are of a similar age Fuzzy (around 40  ::-) -ish) who have grown up from tiny tots to manhood riding bikes, and not straddling a cross-bar for the first time because in their mid-twenties: it's 'cool', or in battle against the car.

Lack of patience.

Last Sunday. Coming out of the top of Stanmer Park and approaching Old Boat Corner (those that know it will know what I mean) the road is quite narrow approaching the T-junction. Disappointingly, there are perhaps, 10 cars ahead of me (I may have said "Bollocks" if memory serves) but there is no point, and more importantly, no room to comfortably manoeuvre down the wrong side of the road. Unseen vehicles can and do come into the road (which takes you to Ditchling Beacon – you might have heard of that one), so it's folly to think about passing the cars. Apparently, other roadies didn't think so, and while I waited for the queue of cars to diminish, there were a number who cycled past, only to try and squeeze themselves back into gaps that drivers obligingly made.

One lady who came into the gap where I sat, was about to carry on. I said: "I wouldn't, there's a double-decker bus just coming up" (it was an open-top one if you want to know), but did she hang back? Nope. Of course she didn't, and the bus had to stop, while she then shoe-horned herself between two cars, which was one ahead of me.

Maybe these same people drive like they cycle – I dunno? You can understand the drivers thinking: "Knobs."

I'm also adding: Lack of Anticipation.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

essexian

« Reply #708 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:56:29 am »
Many I also add Lack of Understanding regarding safe overtaking.   :facepalm:

I will admit I dislike riding from my front door so tend to drive a few miles out of town and park up before hitting the lightly trafficked lanes around Haughton. Not very green I will admit  :facepalm: So this morning, I was heading back to the "station" car park (the station closed 50 odd years ago), when I spotted a MTB rider coming the other way and behind him, a red car. The car was being very sensible and waiting for me to pass before pulling out to over take the MTB rider, given how narrow the road is at that point, and given the mess I would make to the front of the car if she tried to.

However, the MTB rider decided he did not like the car being behind him: she was a good 10 yards back and driving slowly and sensibly, so stopped, turned around and started shouting abuse at the car driver telling her to overtake.  TWAT.  In this case, the car driver was 100% right to wait and the MTB rider wrong. No wonder why some car drivers think cyclists are knobs when one proves it beyond all reasonable doubt that they, as an individual, are.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #709 on: 17 June, 2018, 07:20:10 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-44512967

Morons.  No-one in their right mind gets close to a horse when cycling.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #710 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:20:00 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-44512967

Morons.  No-one in their right mind gets close to a horse when cycling.

Barakta showed me that video on Friendface earlier.  When it popped up on road.cc I was unsurprised to learn they were taking part in a triathlon (which do seem to be a recipe for people who can go reasonably fast on bikes, but who often have all the road sense you expect from riders on a shorter charity ride).

Seriously though, I can understand riding like a cock, with no concern for what the horse might do to the rider or those around it after you've shot past - people do that sort of thing when driving cars all the time.  What I don't understand is willingly getting so close to half a tonne of muscular metal-shoed neurosis that you can actually touch it.  Have they never seen a horse?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #711 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:36:25 pm »
Blimey, indefencible. No reason for any of them to be left of the centre line.

Couple of motorised morons get a mention just to restore a spot of normality:
Amanda Coyne, who lives near the route of the race, said she had encountered cyclists riding "dangerously" while driving shortly before 09:00.

"I nearly had a heart attack as I nearly got hit by a car which had been forced to overtake cyclists who were riding four-abreast," she said.
Forced? By whome pray tell Ms Coyne?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #712 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:36:27 pm »
Willesden CC also posted the vid on Friendface.
Dreadful!

DOTD
« Reply #713 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:40:54 pm »
Human Race have confirmed the culprits will be banned for life from their own events and they WILL be reported to the police for colliding with an animal on the road as per Highway Code.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #714 on: 17 June, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »
One of our schoolteachers was kicked in the face by her own horse and had a bruise the size of a grapefruit, with one eye that didn't re-open for a week.  I've been very wary of rhe things ever since.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #715 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:51:54 am »
<speculation> Head down riding, chasing a wheel I reckon, resulting in a last second swerve to avoid inserting head into horse's arse </speculation>

Total nob.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #716 on: 20 June, 2018, 04:22:12 pm »
Mr. Cyclist on Putney bridge, it's good of you to shout at me that "it's a bike lane" and gesture for me to get out - but maybe you might want to look at  the signs, and maybe the writing in the road - which doesn't have a bicycle drawn but the words "Bus Lane", you weren't shouting at the buses were you? And had there been any taxis would you have shouted at them?

No, it's a bus lane and I on my motorcycle am allowed to use it (I did check), so wind your neck in.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #717 on: 21 June, 2018, 01:31:50 pm »
Arse on the 50cc motorbike blatting around and around our estate at 10pm last night. It was too warm, but you left me no choice but to close the windows and boil. Grrr.

« Reply #718 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »
I was riding along the a4 this evening and a car was patiently waiting behind me for a safe place to pass when a prat on a racing bike undertook the car and overtook me with minimal clearance .to car then overtook me and the idiot who shouted at the driver and then took both hands off his handlebars to indicate that the car had passed him to close  ::-) .  Pollock   :hand:
the slower you go the more you see

essexian

« Reply #719 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:00:22 am »
I seem to post a lot on this thread..... don't know if that says more about me than it does about the standard of cycling in Stafford but I am hoping its the latter.....

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I was making my way out of town on the NCN Route 5: "The Isobel Trail". Its a flat former railway which has been tarmacked over and is quite pleasant to ride on, if you avoid the dog walkers and the tree roots which have make the path a little uneven in places especially around the former Stafford Common Station.

Thus I was making my way north when I came up behind a youth on an MTB with about as much control over their bike as a hedgehog does over the rear end after a curry (you need to know hedgehogs poo anywhere, even into their own food!). So, out when a friendly: "Hi may I pass please" call, which was ignored... I tried again 50 yards later. However, the youth simply got out his mobile phone and started playing with it.... another call a bit louder this time....ignored...… Followed by "OI"..... which caused a reaction... the youth looked around and saw me and moved a quarter of an inch to the right allowing me to pass...…

The reason for him not moving (apart from being a twat)….he was wearing headphones and thus, could not hear a thing. Okay, I know some people think riding in headphones is okay and yes, it might be at times but not on a shared use path and not while using your mobile phone.  :facepalm:

« Reply #720 on: 10 October, 2018, 05:12:19 pm »
Dear cyclist. Dusk is a particularly difficult time to ride, as is best practice it well behoves the individual to take extra care. When riding on a main road and you are behind a 4x4 turning left and slowed to a stop because, well, because they aren't very good at the driving thing and are waiting for someone in that side road (me) to turn right, it might not be the best idea to ride past at full speed (which wasn't very much, tbh) crossing into the oncoming lane. That I was pulling forward slowly was because my view was limited, by the 4x4, the car's mahoosive A pillars and the light conditions which enabled me to brake rapidly and safely to avoid you, as it would have been messy awkward to pick bits of you and bike out of the bonnet. There wa no apparent reason to hurl mouthfuls of abuse in my direction, at least from my perspective. You clearly felt different.

Have a nice day.

« Reply #721 on: 12 October, 2018, 09:18:34 am »
The sheepish looking guy who decided at the very last minute that riding up the inside of the moving/pulling-in bin wagon on Stretford Road was not a good idea and made to flit across in front of me to pass on the outside, unfortunately the slowing of the wagon put him inside the reach of the safety arm sticking out the back, I reckon the chances of seeing said arm would have been vastly improved if he'd have had some ruddy lights on, as was pointed out by the bin man who gave him a right bollocking whilst picking him up...still better than ending up in the back of the thing I reckon.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #722 on: 12 October, 2018, 06:01:03 pm »
You have to wonder about any cyclist who doesn't give a bin lorry a wide berth simply on account of the smell...

« Reply #723 on: 13 October, 2018, 12:05:07 pm »
Yep, I remember being berated by a fellow commuter a few years ago for allowing one to get away, he wanted to draft it  :sick:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #724 on: 13 October, 2018, 07:28:23 pm »
Drafting a bin lorry is pretty daft anyway, unless it's returning to depot or you really want to practice repeated 100 metre sprints and trackstands.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.