Author Topic: Yorkshire Grit 200k - Sunday 20th Jan  (Read 4112 times)

bairn again

Yorkshire Grit 200k - Sunday 20th Jan
« on: 18 January, 2019, 09:45:19 am »
Who is in for this early PBP qualifier?

I'm heading south from Embra on the 1900 train Sat, Travelodge Morton Park overnight, cycle out to the start Sunday a.m. and 2110 train back home booked Sunday night. 

Winter woollies packed!

Re: Yorkshire Grit 200k - Sunday 20th Jan
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:57:10 am »
I'll be there assuming real life doesn't get in the way.
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:17:08 am »
I'll be on the yellow Kingcycle recumbent (as Kim knows, yellow is the best colour for a bike).  Going to be chilly, winter draws on.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:37:25 am »
Also on the 1900 train on Saturday, got a cheap first class ticket in the carriage next to the bike compartment, so I will be the cause of the tutting.
Went for the central premeir inn rather than out of town.
Decided to go for a midday train on Monday though.

Not decided how to get to Edinburgh yet, had thought of a 200 or maybe a ride down through fife but increasingly looking like I'll just dive on a train at Leuchars around 4 and hope for the best.

GFS forecast for York and Darlington on Sunday are currently nothing worrying, above zero all day and night since the snow forecast today.
ICON reckons similar, also agreeing on the concept of a light headwind on the return.
YR.NO reckon a bit colder

bairn again

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:43:23 am »
Also on the 1900 train on Saturday, got a cheap first class ticket in the carriage next to the bike compartment

Folk from Fife in 1st class eh?   ??? 

I'm sure I'll see you at Waverley.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:41:37 pm »
Also on the 1900 train on Saturday, got a cheap first class ticket in the carriage next to the bike compartment

Folk from Fife in 1st class eh?   ??? 

I'm sure I'll see you at Waverley.

Aye sur, pretendy Edinburger for the evening, ken eh but!

Dunno about seeing me at Waverly, of all the places that Bright Orange stands out in, on the Railway it's standard wear!

I've still to work out how much free food and drink I need to consume to cover my ticket, however I've not Jimmy or Big Dug to mind the bike while I nip into the first class lounge.

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:58:18 pm »
I'm in but with a lack of miles and some kind of lurgy it'll be a late finish for me. Need this one if I'm to keep RRtY going as the weather for the rest of the month only looks to be getting colder and windier.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:59:05 pm »
As it goes past the end of our road, feel free to pop in for a cuppa, should it get a bit cold (we are in all day Sunday)

We have moved, those that have visited us before, so please don't go to the old house, the new owners are, apparently, grumpy....

Drop me a PM for address, if needed.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2019, 01:02:54 pm »
I'm not in (no outdoor riding in January- it's a resolution and a revelation) but will be donning pinny. See you at the start, and unless you're super-speedy, at the finish.

« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2019, 09:42:46 am »
Wasa seriously hoping to ride this one and with nearly 400 miles done in the first couple of weeks of the New Year, it was looking good.  However, with temperatures predicted to be at zero degrees until 10am, I have decided not to go "dancing on ice" and will therefore be DNS.

Good luck to everyone that rides and I look forward to reading some of your ride reports.

« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:05:05 am »
Forecast temperature for tonight is just above freezing so I am going to ride. I dibbed out of the Old Peculier based on the weather forecast and am determined not to be put off again. It’s mostly A class roads that are usually well gritted anyway. The old A1 is my route of choice when the weather is iffy as it’s wide and a good surface.
I’ll be steady away ,so save me some cake please.

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:15:26 am »
However, with temperatures predicted to be at zero degrees until 10am, I have decided not to go "dancing on ice" and will therefore be DNS.

Highly unlikely to be any ice on the A167 as it will be gritted Jethro and it will be well after 10 when we get to York so even if the cycle paths haven't been gritted we should be OK. Similarly, the return route will have been gritted if there's any ice forecast.

Have a look here https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/road-gritting-salt-heaps-and-bins for more detail.

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:56:59 am »
Yeah, and even some of the York cyclepaths get gritted (well, the one by the A64 picks up grit from the carriageway).

I've got about half a dozen spare cards, if anyone else is inclined to enter.

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:57:37 am »
Anyone staying over fancy a pint in Darlo? I can recommend a couple of decent pubs.

« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:52:21 am »
They're off! Nearly 100 on the road.

« Reply #15 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:19:21 pm »
Great day. It's been a while since I did a 200 in 9hrs.
Thanks for organising Dean

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2019, 11:38:01 pm »
Yup, pretty fast times as there was nowhere worth loitering inside. Nearly ran out of puff on the “ climb” to Scotch Corner but a bit of food at the Shell garage saw me back to the finish in one of my fastest times.
Thanks to Deano for organising , Dean’s Mum for the tea and cake and fboab and friends for manning the kitchen.

« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:42:22 am »
Aye, thanks Deano.

Short of miles so resisted the urge to join the train down the A167 - they were too fast for me and I knew I'd pay for it later if I tried to hang on. Rode mostly on my own at a steady pace but with minimum faffing managed to get round reasonably quickly. Would have got back in daylight if I hadn't been stuck at Hammerton railway crossing for ages.

Some lovely lanes after Bilborough top to the West of York that I've never ridden before and some very direct but quiet A roads to get us back up to Darlo. Thanks to Keith for your company and encourgement at my low point somewhere between Boroughbridge and Leeming and good luck for your RRtY.

« Reply #18 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:37:10 am »
We were lucky with the weather, not as cold as forecast although once the sun went down it started to get very cold.   Despite the flat route I toddled round at my usual pace.  Lost a bit of time in York when I chose the wrong cycle path but soon realised and got back onto the right route.  Nice to do a calendar event this early in the year and a relief to get round after a lurgy related DNF DIY earlier in the month.

It also means that I'm still going for my second RRtY, this was ride/month 3.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

bairn again

« Reply #19 on: 21 January, 2019, 10:13:11 am »
That was a grand day on the bike and despite feeling a bit iffy at the start, I was back at the finish before 17.30.

I rode the majority of the event alone, though I foolishly had about 1km or so in a VC167 group when heading down to Northallerton.  I soon waved them through.  After that I got in a more congenially paced arrangement with some other riders.  My GPS batteries died but i was enjoying rolling along at 25 kph so much that I waited until Topcliffe to pull off and change them, plus there was no real navigation needed before that.

One Yorkshire flag in a garden suggested a very light southerly but it was no great impediment to progress and the bike paths of York signalled that the next control was imminent.   More bits of York I didn't know before the path by the side of the A64 and the next stop.  the section north after this definitely felt like it was slightly tailwind assisted.   I was glad to be through Boroughbridge as I'm not a huge fan of the road that approaches it from the south, always a bit busier than it should be. 

As I was flagging a bit I decided to stop at Leeming (170km) at which point it felt like the wind was turning a bit to a NW, though again not enough to cause any major issues.  It was cooling down rapidly once the sun had gone down and I was glad of the double gloves and overshoes arrangement.  I stopped  to put rear lights on at Catterick and got set for the Col du Scotch Corner.    The stretch after barton confirmed suspicions that the wind had a least a bit of W in it as the "kms to go" counter was ticking over nicely.   

Overall its a perfect event for this time of year, little climbing and mostly on roads that will be useable in all but the poorest conditions and lots of options to eat quickly.   Around 40km on roads that Ive never ridden before so another bonus.  Not even a suggestion of ice and the drying roads in the watery sunshine in the afternoon were a pleasure.  Thanks to Dean for organising the full moon as well. 

Nice to see some familiar faces at the finish too. 

I'll be back for the Yorkshire Gallop in March.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:17:03 pm »
Tried to hang onto the pace but failed by Croft and was out on my own for most of the rest of the day.
Hit some glass while lining up an overtake of a pedestrian not long after joining the cycle path in York so 20 mins "lost" with the smell of chocolate tempting me.

Caught the new café at Dunnington after the rush so got a good feed without much delay and just bounced Bilbrough Top with a few sweets from the shop.
Drag up to Scotch corner was punctuated by passing a large group standing watching a puncture change, and Aiden caught up with me not long after and I hung on and spoke to him until he disappeared into the distance after one of the sharper digs out of a roundabout.

Enojyed the plunge into Darlington after that, and got back in just over 10hrs with 1hr 15m of Strava's concept of not moving, not bad really given all I've done since the Autumn is plug out the 200s (and a 400...)

I'm going to have to practice riding flat routes for the Great North Road later in the year.

More Verbose version: https://fifeingeejit.blogspot.com/2019/01/yorkshire-grit-20-january-2019.html

EDIT: Replaced the edit link with a public view link...

« Reply #23 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:03:47 pm »
I tried my best to keep up with the fast groups but after falling off one and being caught by another my chain jammed and from then I was yoyoing with the other solo stragglers.

I knackered myself on Saturday riding from Skipton to Darlington* over the Dales with all my kit, so wasn’t starting this with fresh legs, and it caught up with me around York. The sunshine (sunshine!) and pretty scenery on the return were nice but didn’t improve my speed, and the long slog to Barton alongside the A1 ground on and on.

I got back just as it was starting to rain,  so skipped the arrivée hospitality. Thanks to all for organising and helping!

(* inspired by a massive disparity in train ticket pricing)

« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:51:03 pm »
That was a grand day on the bike and despite feeling a bit iffy at the start, I was back at the finish before 17.30.

I rode the majority of the event alone, though I foolishly had about 1km or so in a VC167 group when heading down to Northallerton.  I soon waved them through.  After that I got in a more congenially paced arrangement with some other riders.  My GPS batteries died but i was enjoying rolling along at 25 kph so much that I waited until Topcliffe to pull off and change them, plus there was no real navigation needed before that.

One Yorkshire flag in a garden suggested a very light southerly but it was no great impediment to progress and the bike paths of York signalled that the next control was imminent.   More bits of York I didn't know before the path by the side of the A64 and the next stop.  the section north after this definitely felt like it was slightly tailwind assisted.   I was glad to be through Boroughbridge as I'm not a huge fan of the road that approaches it from the south, always a bit busier than it should be. 

As I was flagging a bit I decided to stop at Leeming (170km) at which point it felt like the wind was turning a bit to a NW, though again not enough to cause any major issues.  It was cooling down rapidly once the sun had gone down and I was glad of the double gloves and overshoes arrangement.  I stopped  to put rear lights on at Catterick and got set for the Col du Scotch Corner.    The stretch after barton confirmed suspicions that the wind had a least a bit of W in it as the "kms to go" counter was ticking over nicely.   

Overall its a perfect event for this time of year, little climbing and mostly on roads that will be useable in all but the poorest conditions and lots of options to eat quickly.   Around 40km on roads that Ive never ridden before so another bonus.  Not even a suggestion of ice and the drying roads in the watery sunshine in the afternoon were a pleasure.  Thanks to Dean for organising the full moon as well. 

Nice to see some familiar faces at the finish too. 

I'll be back for the Yorkshire Gallop in March.

Cheers G

I like to include different roads, so I'm pleased you got some new roads. I keep using the Hammerton road to Boroughbridge - it's quite hard to avoid. The lanes through Aldbrough are lovely, but hardly worth the detour on this route.