Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 222532 times)

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #225 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »
Looks like a 'Rolling average'.
An overall average would become a smooth line because any sudden deviation won't make much of a change in curve direction.

It looks like smoothed Power off a SRM crank; or smoothed RPM from a twin cylinder engine ECU.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #226 on: 19 February, 2015, 07:14:04 pm »
Looks like a 'Rolling average'.
An overall average would become a smooth line because any sudden deviation won't make much of a change in curve direction.
I'm not so sure ...

I reckon its simply a line joining the daily totals, with some minor (spline) smoothing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #227 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:12:41 am »
Day 50: A slightly shorter day for both Kurt and Steve - about 25 miles less than the previous couple of days. After Steve made it to the UK's most easterly point a day ago, Kurt rides the bridges to the US's most southerly at Key West.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #228 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:35:04 am »
Southernmost point in the lower 48.  The Scott-Amundsen base at the South Pole is under US jurisdiction ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #229 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:36:14 am »
"Tarzan of the Antarctic" doesn't really sound right though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #230 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:41:43 am »
It's the sequel.  Went straight to video.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #231 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:55:10 am »
The Scott-Amundsen base at the South Pole is under US jurisdiction ;D
Not really. The Amundsen-Scott base is just a building that the US Govt. has built somewhere foreign, and is no more under US jurisdiction than (for example) a NASA tracking station in Australia.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #232 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:57:05 am »
Southernmost point in the lower 48.  The Scott-Amundsen base at the South Pole is under US jurisdiction ;D
So is that also the most westerly and easterly point?

(if we're going to be silly about this ...  :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #233 on: 21 February, 2015, 04:50:43 am »
Day 51: A tough day for Kurt with a vehicle-induced off in the first mile, an ongoing cold and strong winds cutting short the return leg from Key West. Weather improving for Steve who knocks out another 200 miles. In 1939 Tommy rode his longest day so far since Jan 1st (224 miles), but Steve is currently over 1,700 miles ahead of him.

« Reply #234 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:35:03 am »
For me, the fact that Tarzan has completely forsaken his schedule is intriguing. It's not as if he even started out on schedule - on day 1 he was supposed to do 170 but did 60 more.  He has not been incrementally cranking up the mileage as he planned, nor has he been taking weekly 5-hour 'rest days'.  Of course there must be some degree of contingency and flexibility, but what is the point of going to the effort of producing a mileage schedule (unless it's a red herring), if you're going to completely ignore it?  Steve's schedule, OTOH, has been much more realistic so far.  I'm looking forward to the Spring Offensive.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #235 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:38:16 am »
Kurt didn't produce a schedule. He used Steve's schedule so that he could publish 'something' and then proceeded to ride whatever distance he wanted.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #236 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:54:18 am »
Ah, I see.  Doing it all 'on feel'.

red marley

« Reply #237 on: 21 February, 2015, 05:18:48 pm »
I keep getting the functions the wrong way round - i.e. trying to rescale using the axes, and pan by dragging the chart

I've now updated it so that dragging around the main chart area pans and the dragging axis labels rescales. You can also drag the legend around if it gets in the way of the data and you still wish to show it.

« Reply #238 on: 22 February, 2015, 04:09:25 am »

A yet further increase in already great beauty!

red marley

« Reply #239 on: 22 February, 2015, 06:23:22 am »
Day 52: A cold, wet and windy day for Steve as he rides 190 miles from home to Bournemouth. He's now just a (long) day's ride away from the 10,000 milestone. Kurt makes up for yesterday's shorter ride with a 223 miler.

« Reply #240 on: 22 February, 2015, 08:11:36 am »
Great visualisations jo and regardless of how the trend lines are smoothed it does show how consistent and measured TG is in increasing his mileage. Kurt's putting up with the USAian car muppets and the lurgy but nothing seems to get to TG  ;D

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #241 on: 22 February, 2015, 01:40:22 pm »
Hoppo has put a Strava heat map up on FB for the routes so far. I copied it here https://flic.kr/p/r2n8KE

red marley

« Reply #242 on: 23 February, 2015, 06:21:45 am »
Day 53: Steve is tantalisingly close to 10,000 miles after a day of miserable weather during his return trip from Dorset. Kurt continues to keep up his distance from the WR pace with a 206 mile day.

red marley

« Reply #243 on: 24 February, 2015, 06:24:33 am »
Day 54: Steve clears 10,000 miles with a 200 mile day in very windy conditions. Kurt puts in 224 miles to lengthen his like-for-like lead over Steve to 656 miles. William has his third February day with no riding leaving him over 8,800 miles behind WR pace.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #244 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:28:21 am »
Day 54: Steve clears 10,000 miles with a 200 mile day in very windy conditions. Kurt puts in 224 miles to lengthen his like-for-like lead over Steve to 656 miles. William has his third February day with no riding leaving him over 8,800 miles behind WR pace.

By my reckoning Kurts total is at least 6.1 miles less. This stems from his ride on the 26th January when he is travelling at 60 mph with a resting heart rate from the 101 mile point onwards as he receives a vehicle transfer. Unless there was an almighty freak tail wind  ;D

A commendable lead though, three days ahead.

red marley

« Reply #245 on: 24 February, 2015, 09:27:38 am »
I agree with your reckoning. I haven't removed it yet from my data on the assumption that he will at some point provide an amended track for that day.

If by the end of the year, the difference between the two riders is within 6 miles, I will have long since retired from producing these images on the grounds of stress.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #246 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:24:11 am »
I am about to ask Hoppo  whether we should raise this with Kurt - so that he rectifies it - or whether we raise it direct with UMCA - my guess is that we will go direct to Kurt
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

red marley

« Reply #247 on: 25 February, 2015, 06:00:22 am »
Day 55: A few GPS and tracker issues delay riders today so both Kurt and Steve turn in rides around 180 miles. Kurt's ride along the coast battled a stiff headwind. Texas ice prevented William from riding for a second consecutive day.

red marley

« Reply #248 on: 25 February, 2015, 06:22:12 am »
You can see the patterns of movement that led to the slightly shorter distances for both riders yesterday (bottom row; Kurt in blue, Steve in red). An unusually long set of stops during the day for Kurt, an unusually late start and no second breakfast for Steve.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #249 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:09:00 am »
To be honest I think its remarkable that they haven't had more of these little technical issues (broken bikes, flat batteries) to keep them form riding.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.