General Category > Audax

Audax & Recovery time

(1/11) > >>

quixoticgeek:

I'm currently going through my wish list of Audaxes to do next year and working out which ones I can logistically do. I notice that there are a number of cases where there is 2 weeks between 2 400's, or 2 weeks between 2 600's. What do people feel is adequate recovery time between rides like this? Is it overly optimistic to try 600's with only 2 weeks between them? None of the rides I'm planning are excessively hilly, tho there is a high chance of substantial head winds.

J

LittleWheelsandBig:
How fit you are and how hard you have to push to finish makes all the difference. In 2011, HK and I rode 2 x 1200 with a week between. The conditions/ circumstances for both were tough and I hadn't fully recovered before the second brevet. Accordingly it was harder to finish the second than would normally be the case.

Two weeks between 400s and 600s should be fine, provided you are fit/ fast enough before you start the first. If you have to drag yourself into the finish of the first using your fingernails, the second will be really tough.

zigzag:
everyone's a bit different, but my rule of thumb is one day's recovery per each 100km. so six full days after the 600, or forty after the tcr (that's what i've noticed). perhaps it would not work for the peak/ultimate fitness, but for audaxes and general riding it's a good ballpark.

T42:
Beware of testing muscles too soon. A week after a 1200k in 2006 I did a 57k followed by a 75k next day and tore a bit of my left quad.  It still gives me the odd problem.

hellymedic:
A fortnight between long rides should be fine, IME.

Try to avoid starting any ride with a sleep or food debt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version