Author Topic: edinburgh to york, first time.  (Read 1298 times)

edinburgh to york, first time.
« on: 25 March, 2009, 08:37:12 pm »
sometime in the week beginning mon 13th april i plan to ride from Edinburgh to york over a period of 3 days.

this will be the first time i have done a long distance ride and i was hoping for some answers to some questions.

what is the best route to take?

youth hostel or camping?

good youth hostels en route?

cheers R 

Re: edinburgh to york, first time.
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2009, 09:29:17 pm »
That's a really daft idea, there's no way you'll make it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:08:59 pm »
Walk out the door with bike, turn south, get on bike, keep riding until you are in York :)

Well it all depends on what kinda riding you want, how much you can afford, how much you can/want carry etc.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:47:56 pm »
 Ride the Northern bit of LEL

Edinburgh, Dalkeith, Innerleithen, Ettrick, Eskdalemuir, Canonbie, Longtown, Brampton, Alston, Yad Moss, [YHA] Langdon Beck, Mickleton, Barnhard Castle, Whorlton, Eppleby, Thirlby,  York
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:21:56 am »
I'll fill in some info for Rab, as it might be a while before he responds.

He's prob going to ride this on his Langster, either on fixed or ss.

He hasn't ridden more than 55miles in a day before. I'm suggesting he allows 3 days for the ride and stops in youth hostels. I'm also suggesting that he does at least one long ride of at least 70miles over hilly country, so he gets a feel for it.

Route suggestions would be very very welcome.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:32:08 am »
thank you MC yes thats about it. i would be riding with 2 MSX panniers which are about the same size ortliebs. plus a rack pack.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2009, 09:38:16 am »
The route I have taken in the past is Dalkeith, Galashiels, Kelso, Coldstream, Wooler, Newcastle (North Shields) Ferry to South Shields, Sunderland via the coast road, Through the old mining villages to Middlesborough, Yarm, Northallerton and York. It is a mixture of all classes of roads, can be lumpy in places but is generally OK apart from Middlesborough.

To split is up over three days I'd do Edinburgh->Coldstream or Wooler. Next day to Yarm. Then York. It is about 220 miles total (approximately).

Don't go over Carter Bar.

.d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes