Linked Events

• Aylesbury Circular Ride : 10 October, 2009

Author Topic: Aylesbury Circular Ride - 10th October  (Read 2311 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Aylesbury Circular Ride - 10th October
« on: 23 September, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »
Under my alter ego on Cycle Chat, I'm running this 51 mile ride again.

Details here.

A few hills to warm your legs first thing, then some rolling stuff, a stop for lunch and then almost flat or downhill for the last 8 miles (apart from 1 hill up, about 5 miles from the end).

There's some lovely countryside with some spectacular views of Aylesbury Vale.

Start from Tring Station at 10 am, and hopefully back at the station around 4 pm.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Aylesbury Circular Ride - 10th October
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »
Beaucoup merde!

Sadly, too much other stuff going on that weekend, Adam.

Otherwise I'd be a likely participant.  :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »
There's a good scary descent into Wendover on that route! (Scary going up it, certainly!)
It is simpler than it looks.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2009, 08:19:24 pm »
Beaucoup merde!

Sadly, too much other stuff going on that weekend, Adam.

Otherwise I'd be a likely participant.  :)

No worries.

There's a good scary descent into Wendover on that route! (Scary going up it, certainly!)

Oh yes.  When I ran this ride last year, and Dan and a bunch of his Speed Skater chums came along (on bikes), we were bombing down Hale Lane when a car was coming up. 

Seeing someone cycle up a near vertical verge was a bit like being at a velodrome.  :o
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »
(Bump)

I went over part of the route on Sunday, and saw a red kite swoop down on the road in front of me to pick up some fresh rabbit roadkill.  I can't guarantee a sight like that, but assuming it remains dry, there'll be some lovely views of Aylesbury Vale.

I've tweaked the route very slightly, and the revised map is here.  50.8 miles with about 2,400 ft of climbing, but no more than 11% in 1 place.  There might be an optional additional 5 miles to see the famous London's Third Airport we could do as well.

Roll-call time:

Me
stevevw
ianrauk
gbs
Clivedb
Aperitif
her_welshness
jane
Tom C
Appleby
TopCat1

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2009, 09:57:59 pm »
Hello Adam

Have you got room for a small Welsh person? Looking elsewhere at the cc forum, I shall try and hook up with the chaps at Euston station!

I absolutely love this area to cycle in, I don't suppose we will be heading near the Gorhambury estate will we?

Appleby

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2009, 05:26:25 pm »
Hi there,

>Have you got room for a small Welsh person? Looking elsewhere at the cc forum, I shall
>try and hook up with the chaps at Euston station!

When do you meet at Euston tomorrow then?

Kind regards
Apple

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »
Hi there,

>Have you got room for a small Welsh person? Looking elsewhere at the cc forum, I shall
>try and hook up with the chaps at Euston station!

When do you meet at Euston tomorrow then?

Kind regards
Apple

Hi Apple, we are getting the 09:24 train, I would imagine we would meet right by the big departure time billboards.

Adam - am bringing someone else along with me, the lovely Tom C - hope thats cool?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2009, 05:49:41 pm »
Hi Adam,
I'd love to come, if that's OK

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:27:19 pm »
Oo - it's going to be busy!

Yes, the more the merrier.  But sorry Katie, we don't go near Gorhambury.

When you get off the train at Tring, go over the footbridge to the other side, which is where the big car park is.

See you at 10 am.  Weather looks good.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:32:00 pm »
Well, well, what a lovely day's riding. I arrived at Tring at just after 9.30 when Clive turned up, and then slowly other people turned up, so by 10 am, there were 13, including William who thought he was going on someone else's ride but in fact that was next week, so Ian spotted him, and forced him to come along.

But someone was missing.

Turns out Aperitif had had a tortuous journey, his GPS had gone on the blink and he'd got a puncture, so we agreed to meet him in Wendover.

Setting off from Tring, we were soon up onto the hills where it was initially a bit murky but we could see some blue patches appearing. After surviving the descent down Hale Lane we headed into Wendover, where we made an unscheduled coffee break stop.

Bizarrely, the lady serving didn't seem as though she wanted our business. However, after a while, Martin arrived.

He got a few cheers, but not as many as Jurek on last week's FNRttC.  :P

Anyway, as we were a little behind schedule, I made a slight diversion, to avoid some rolling hills, and we were soon heading out of Wendover and out into the countryside. After another 10 miles or so, it was time for lunch at the Little Italy cafe in Haddenham, which went down very nicely. They also had special cyclists' chairs.

I'd warned everyone that there were some hills in the second half, but they were worth it for some spectacular views.

We also saw quite a few red kites soaring around, loitering for things to kill.

We zoomed past Wescott, over the A41 and past the Railway centre on Quainton.

The hills eased off, and the miles rolled by so we got back to the station around 5 pm, although it turns out Katie's chain had come off, so she and Martin had missed the final turn, so I went back to find them.

After all, I don't want to get a reputation for losing anyone!

With the journey there and back home, I've done just over 80 miles, in surprisingly warm weather.

Thanks everyone for coming along.

Rest of the photos here.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2009, 06:12:30 am »
What a great day Adam- thank you. 

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2009, 09:42:58 am »
What a great day Adam- thank you. 

+ 1  :thumbsup: What a fantastic ride with well-picked weather, lovely scenery (so good to see the Red Kites) and great company. Sorry that we missed some of you at the end, my chain came off and Martin gallantly fixed it, followed by a brief snogging session so that we missed the main peloton and lost our way briefly. Thankfully a quick phone call to Adam and we were back en route towards the station. By now the tank was registering near-empty so it was a relief to get on the train and rescue those jelly babies that were floundering at the bottom of my pannier bag and for all of us to devour some garibaldi's as kindly provided by Jane. :-* Then from Euston Jane, Dave, Jan and myself made our way across London towards our respective areas. PIZZA was then consumed.