Linked Events

• Dun Run II - battery powered : 01 October, 2010

Author Topic: Dun Running? - then why not Dun Run II the battery powered version?  (Read 12973 times)

Re: Dun Running? - then why not Dun Run II the battery powered version?
« Reply #25 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:04:19 pm »
I used the East Cost site (eastcoast.co.uk), 1338 shows up fine (just checked after reading your post).

Well there's something odd going on here then, I've asked it for a train for Saturday 2nd October, and all it's giving me are the 0638, and the 1738 (as well as a 2138 which is no good because it's partly a bus).  I've tried it on two machines and I'm getting the same result.

Other websites (Southern, TheTrainLine) have the same limited number of trains.

I can get a 1338 train on Friday 1st October, but obviously that's no good since we won't have left then!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #26 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »
 ???

I've just tried it, and there seems to be no trains........

I'll just do some more checking.

Edit.

This is weird.

If you try to plan the journey, even National Express East Anglia deny the existence of the 2 hourly rail service until 1738, although it's showing on their timetable.  And yet there's no maintenance showing either on their web site, nor on National Rail for 2nd October.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #27 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:23:39 pm »
I think I've found the issue.

It looks like it could be due to a problem when a lorry hit a train in Sudbury, meaning they're having to juggle their schedules.

We may have to look at alternatives.  Watch this space.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #28 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:41:27 pm »
On the National Rail web site, they don't have any details as to why, but if you try and book a ticket from Darsham to Ipswich at that time, the only route available sends you via Lowestoft and Norwich and then down the Intercity line to Ipswich.  The NEAA web site doesn't even show that.

The trains do however seem to be running normally from London to Darsham, every 2 hours.

It doesn't make sense for the trains to only be running 1 way, so I'll try and get hold of someone tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:45:53 pm »
The Sudbury branch line is very short and operates from Marks Tey. That would have no effect on the Lowestoft - Ipswich - London line.

Edit: I'd suggest that the National Rail database is up the creek.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #30 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:51:41 pm »
Wouldn't hurt to check to be absolutely sure, however judging by the service alterations timetable, cross-referenced with the Darsham timetable, Wow's hit the nail on the head- there appears to be no effect whatsoever on 'our' train.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #31 on: 27 September, 2010, 09:01:47 am »
I'd agree - it does look like the National Rail database is all messed up.

The NEAA link I'd shown says that due to the Sudbury incident, they're missing an engine, and so are revamping the schedules on other lines, including the Lowestoft to London which is the Darsham train.  Some of the trains now require a change at Ipswich.

However, the temporary timetable shows the 13.38 train should still be running straight through to London.

Computer's - pah.

Hopefully I can get hold of a human being who knows what's happening!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #32 on: 27 September, 2010, 11:41:24 am »
Indian call centres....................... :facepalm:

They all seem insistent that there's no trains running south during the day, but are unable to explain what's happening to all the trains that are running north without any problem.

I've emailed them.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #33 on: 27 September, 2010, 11:47:39 am »
Definitive answer.  :thumbsup:

Yes they are running.  They're using the temporary timetable I'd linked to earlier, and the 13.38 is running straight through to London.

It's a National Rail database issue, which is being looked at.

« Reply #34 on: 27 September, 2010, 07:25:45 pm »
I'm out of this one I'm afraid...
I'm racing my Brompton on the Sunday at Blenheim Palace and just got notified that I've somehow got one of the very limited places on the Factory tour the day before. So my weekend has turned Brommie shaped...

Have a good 'un, guys!

Rebecca
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #35 on: 28 September, 2010, 07:21:32 am »
Ooh, very nice Rebecca.  Good luck with the racing.

Anyway, just a final reminder for any hardy souls, we'll be leaving on Friday at midnight from London Fields (Pub on the Park, Martello Street, Hackney). I've no idea if the park is still open at that time, but would suggest it's best not to cycle through it at that time, to avoid incidents with glass or any other ne'er-do-wells.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:11:47 pm »
Just to make it clear, while I was at one point interested, I'm not coming, on the basis of BloodyTrains and to a lesser extent Welsh Hippy Flu.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #37 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »

Anyway, just a final reminder for any hardy souls, we'll be leaving on Friday at midnight from London Fields (Pub on the Park, Martello Street, Hackney). I've no idea if the park is still open at that time, but would suggest it's best not to cycle through it at that time, to avoid incidents with glass or any other ne'er-do-wells.

+1 for the luck.

Route provisionally set up from Waterloo- the park is open, checked the users' group & they have problems with litter, late night disturbance, etc, so going for a long way round. Should be on the 2319 into Waterloo, if not there's a later train that gets into London Bridge 2347. At worst, I should be there 10-15 mins late.

« Reply #38 on: 28 September, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »

+1 for the luck.
Thanks guys! I won't be anywhere near the front runners, just want to get round the course in under 25 minutes.  :P :)
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

« Reply #39 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:46:45 am »
Bugger.  I'm off sick today, so I don't think there's any likelihood of me feeling well enough on Friday to cycle 110 miles.  It's some sort of random mild lurgy, and I cycled to work on Monday, yesterday I went in on Public Transport (hoping that it was the last little bit of illness), but today I feel even worse and can't face going out at all.

Even if this does get better, I'm going to be a bit drained, and not really have enough omph to complete the ride at a sensible speed, and I have my doubts it's going to clear away in two more days anyway. :(

It's just as well the ticketing system got buggered up and I didn't manage to order a ticket.  For once computer problems have saved me some money!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #40 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:50:30 am »
That's a shame, Tim.  You (and your pannier full of tools) will be missed.

Hope you're better soon.

« Reply #41 on: 29 September, 2010, 12:02:20 pm »
You (and your pannier full of tools) will be missed.

I was planning on repairing the top bag and using that, so I wouldn't have had that many tools with me anyway!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #42 on: 30 September, 2010, 09:10:11 am »
And the good news is that although it might be wet leaving London, there shouldn't be any rain en-route, and there should be a tailwind to gently waft us to the sunshine waiting for us on Dunwich beach.

« Reply #43 on: 30 September, 2010, 11:25:38 am »
I'm still off work, so definitely won't be doing this ride.  I may pop out to Wickford and join Wow et al on the WARTY, but 50 miles with a few pub and cake stops is likely to be rather a lot easier!

I hope you don't get much rain on this ride, the July ride was very pleasant because of the mild weather, and significant rain could make it rather horrible.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #44 on: 01 October, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »
This evening's commute was not fun.  I reserve the right to consult the forecasts after I awake from my nap and then make a decision.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #45 on: 01 October, 2010, 06:03:35 pm »
And the good news is that although it might be wet leaving London, there shouldn't be any rain en-route, and there should be a tailwind to gently waft us to the sunshine waiting for us on Dunwich beach.

*sings*

Blue Moooooon...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 01 October, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »
I'm suddenly really glad that the train companies are all bastards and that I've contracted welsh hippy flu...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #47 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »
Hope the lurgy's better soon Kim.

It's now stopped raining and all systems are go (apart from my phone which I've left at work).

I'll remember to take my camera this time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »
Say hi to the earwigs for me.   ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:08:36 pm »
I do hope it's not an heroic solo ride, Adam.