Author Topic: Route suggestion: East London to Harwich  (Read 7020 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Route suggestion: East London to Harwich
« on: 06 June, 2008, 02:12:56 pm »
Does anyone have suggestions for a route from East London to Harwich?  I'm cycling there (and then getting the ferry to the Netherlands) in a few days and could do with some route suggestions.  I've found this route to get to Chelmsford. From Colchester I had planned on following the Sustans #1 route.  So any suggestions on getting from Chelmsford to Colchester or other ideas would be appreciated.  Ta.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris S

Re: Route suggestion: East London to Harwich
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:34:17 pm »
The B road from Maldon to Colchester (via Tiptree) is OK for cycling, as is the B road from Manningtree to Harwich (as used by the Tour de Stour 200 Audax).

Not sure about the A137 between Colchester and Manningtree, but there are laney options.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »
Ah, super. I'd found a route that suggested that B road.  However, I was worried it was a B-road in name but not in nature.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:41:21 pm »
Yes, I've often used the B1022 for that journey.

A quieter option is just north,
Boreham - Nounsley - Wickham Bishops - Great Braxted.

My other choice, if wanting good riding, is stay north of the A12.
Chelmsford - Terling - Fairstead - White Notley - Silver End - Coggeshall - Great Tey.

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:44:51 pm »
I was also about to point out the minor road alternative to the B road - at least as far as Tiptree.

Nutty's more Northerly route is also a nice ride, but technically speaking Not Flat, so if you are riding a fully loaded tourer and hauling a laden Bob Yak, I'd stick with the first option which, in keeping with many roman roads, runs along the top of a ridge.

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:52:26 pm »
But.  It's got a bastard of a false climb near Great Totham.   Caught me out first time I did that route semi laden and heading for Suffolk.   

The quieter route through Great Braxted still goes over that hill, but at least it looks like a hill and you don't have as much traffic passing you so you're under less pressure to keep going.

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:54:44 pm »
And on the subject of hills, Maldon is on the top of one, so Ulting - Maldon takes you up a long climb and then a drop back down to sea level.  I think that if you use the B1019/B1018 route in to Heybridge you go round that ;)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:00:40 pm »
We will have some weight on the bikes, but it wont be excess because it's just a two day ride and we'll be sleeping on the ferry.  However, given that the northern route is Not Flat then we'll be avoiding that suggestion.

But.  It's got a bastard of a false climb near Great Totham.
I shall make a note of that on the map!

rr

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:07:46 pm »
If you want to make it really interesting you could work in Buttsbury, Danbury, Little Baddow and Nousley fords and then take the coastish road from maldon to Colchester.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:28:08 pm »
Ooo fords, although I have a feeling I'll be banned from that route by Nienke.  Talking of which, Nienke has just reminded me that she's Dutch and therefore "Not Flat is definitely Not An Option"

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:30:17 pm »
Erm... well, of course - none of that area is really flat - you're going to have to grimp at least a little, but some options are flatter than others.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:38:54 pm »
She'll be 'right.  We'll just have to find the flattest route possible. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:46:53 pm »
and then take the coastish road from maldon to Colchester.

If you do this, there is a better alternative between Maldon and Tolleshunt Darcy here.

The B1026, as it leaves Heybridge, is fairly narrow and serves lots of caravan sites. 4*4s abound. After T. Darcy it's lots better. It's also a good idea to go straight on at the former Kings Head pub into Peldon. You also have the opportunity to visit the evocatively named

and if it's the weekend there's a ferry across to Wivenhoe which avoids Colchester. You can then follow NCN 51 all the way to Harwich.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:50:49 pm »
and if it's the weekend there's a ferry across to Wivenhoe which avoids Colchester. You can then follow NCN 51 all the way to Harwich.
Nah, it'll be a week day, which is annoying because that ferry would be an excellent idea.  Damn damn damn.

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2008, 04:12:38 pm »
Colchester is quite cycle friendly.I would certainly use the Sustrans route via Wivenhoe that comes out at Elmstead Market.
The A133 to Elmstead Market is fast Dual Carriage way but very straight and dooable although not pleasant.
There is one of those 10 roundabouts within 1 roundabout systems at the start of the 133 but as it is on the route to the University there are many cycle tracks around it.
Old Harwich is quite pleasant for a meal and drink in the evening whilst you wait for the Ferry.

I will wave as you sail past.

N

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2008, 04:37:34 pm »
Old Harwich is quite pleasant for a meal and drink in the evening whilst you wait for the Ferry.
So do you have any recommendations, then, of decent places to eat around the £20 per person mark?

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2008, 05:05:35 pm »
£20.per head. :o That would feed some families of four in Harwich for a week.It truly is an Olde Town with no working heart.No ships to crew.No fish to catch.

Pier Hotel on the Quay front has various menus.Treos down George Street by the High Lighthouse would be 'Arridge trendy.Most locals would opt for Sam's Wine Bar in Church Street.Your 'Chinese and Indian' are to be found in Dovercourt.

Eat Well.

N

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:49:30 pm »
Ooo fords, although I have a feeling I'll be banned from that route by Nienke.  Talking of which, Nienke has just reminded me that she's Dutch and therefore "Not Flat is definitely Not An Option"

If you do go that route, do not ride through the Nounsley one.   That's where I had my unscheduled swim one January >:(

Sitting in a frosty field, in wet clothing, trying to decide to backtrack 35+ miles, or complete the ride which would be around 40 miles, is still one of those memories I have.

:thumbsup: to decent Foska clothing ;D

Nienke

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2008, 02:58:48 pm »
Just to clarify: I'm aware this country isn't flat, but nutty's statement that the route was Not Flat suggested to me that it would be rather extremely unflat (for my standards anyway) and I'd probably rather go another way.

Thanks for all your helpful comments, it'll greatly improve our route.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 07 June, 2008, 03:02:01 pm »
You've done the FNRttC, Nienke. There is nothing whatever on that route to match:-

the hill out of Coulsdon
Turner's Hill
the Beacon.

You'll be fine.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rr

« Reply #20 on: 07 June, 2008, 04:08:40 pm »

If you do go that route, do not ride through the Nounsley one.   That's where I had my unscheduled swim one January >:(

Sitting in a frosty field, in wet clothing, trying to decide to backtrack 35+ miles, or complete the ride which would be around 40 miles, is still one of those memories I have.

:thumbsup: to decent Foska clothing ;D

As discussed in the old place I've fallen in that one too, but it still forms part of one of my local training loops, I went through it this morning and it was fine, you just have to make sure you ride smoothly and don't put a wheel in the joint between the concrete slabs that make up the river bed. Last week it had 2 feet of water in it and the water was covering the access to the foot bridge. Little Baddow would probably flood your paniers though.

NCR1, which is now very well signed, is a nice route for Chelmsford to Colchester but is as Not Flat as you can get in essex

« Reply #21 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:35:04 pm »
Just to clarify: I'm aware this country isn't flat, but nutty's statement that the route was Not Flat suggested to me that it would be rather extremely unflat (for my standards anyway) and I'd probably rather go another way.

Thanks for all your helpful comments, it'll greatly improve our route.

"Not Flat"... well you'll be fine.

My warning re the false hill by Great Totham was that I found I dragged up it wondering why it was such hard work as the road looked flat.

If you take the (IMHO) slightly more north route then you lose the traffic but still go over that same pimple.

Staying north of the A12 may be hilly lumpy (others have warned of it) but in the sections of the road I've ridden it's just as flat as Essex always is... and that's much flatter than the FNRTTC.

Nienke

« Reply #22 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:26:10 am »
That's very reassuring, if it's all flatter than the FNRttC I'll definitely be fine no matter which route we end up taking :)

At the moment we're leaning towards the first suggestion (so Nounsley - Wickham Bishop etc) then picking up the cycle route into Colchester. I'm a bit dubious about the ford tho, getting the panniers wet seems like a bad idea esp as we won't get home until the next day.

ronstrutt

« Reply #23 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:53:38 pm »
...and if it's the weekend there's a ferry across to Wivenhoe which avoids Colchester.

...and if the tide is in. At low tide the river at Wivenhoe is just an expanse of mud!