Linked Events

• Dun Run freeview preview: 10 June, 2011

Author Topic: Dun Run freeview preview  (Read 9087 times)

Re: Dun Run freeview preview
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:14:42 pm »
Aha.   I was trying to book through The Trainline, which made no mention of bikes, whereas the East coast site did.    It offered me the chance of a bike reservation, so I took it.   Seems only to apply from Ipswich to London though.

I've booked the 11.48, but may yet cycle back if I feel up to it.

Adam - I'll PM you my mobile number in case of mishaps on the night....

Cheers

Ross

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:16:54 pm »
Oh!  It's this weekend.  Guess I should decide if I'm doing this ride and it 'yes', sort out a way back home...

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »
What time are you all aiming to arrive at Dunwich Saturday?

It's the control at about 107km on the Seething 600 - so I guess people will be getting there from 10 onwards on that ride.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #28 on: 08 June, 2011, 06:38:46 am »
Last year, even though it was a totally different date, we arrived to find it was a control as well!

I should think we'd be there before 10.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #29 on: 08 June, 2011, 07:18:07 am »
Cool. Well you may see some of the faster ones. Plenty of YACF will be on the seething ride.

Enjoy the ride and maybe see you all on the beach.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #30 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:18:15 pm »
I'll wear my YACF jersey then!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #31 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:32:34 am »
For anyone attending, looks like it will be chilly, but the rain will have cleared before we set off.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #32 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:00:15 am »
Sadly, I'm definitely not on this one. :(

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #33 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:40:14 am »
Also out- will be picking up the Condor Saturday afternoon, so no sensible way of getting round that. If anyone's popping along to Smithfield for the Nocturne, might see you there.
Good luck everyone!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #34 on: 10 June, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »
Never mind.  There's always next year.

« Reply #35 on: 10 June, 2011, 08:50:53 pm »
Hope all who do this have a good ride, and that the weather sorts itself out. Absolutely hammering it down right now but the forecast, as far as it can be trusted at the moment, is looking not bad for the night and morning.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #36 on: 10 June, 2011, 08:52:17 pm »
Hope you have a grand night out.

« Reply #37 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:12:10 pm »
Likewise.  If it had been a week earlier I may have joined you.

Even tonight I toyed with the idea of popping up to see you off, but I think it'll be late enough that I'd find it hard getting home with public transport, and I'm not that keen on dishing out big bucks for a taxi for this purpose.

Have fun. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #38 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:40:24 pm »
Ta!

In fact it does look spookily like a re-run of last year - a small number of us, on wet roads, but clearing skies.  Just got to dig out the camera and then I'm off.

« Reply #39 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »
Thankx  all!

Looks like I slept through the 'hammering it down' bit.

About to get in the bath, and shortly thereafter the lycra  :D

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #40 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »
Have fun all.

Who is actually going?

« Reply #41 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »
Adam, Frank, Teef, Ross et moi - I think that's it.  No Andrij and likewise StuAff.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #42 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:10:48 pm »
Enjoy  ;D

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #43 on: 10 June, 2011, 10:41:12 pm »
Bon chance mes amis!
Four last time, five this..with any luck we'll get to six or seven next time!  :)

« Reply #44 on: 11 June, 2011, 02:27:12 am »
Well..... that was the ride that never was.

It rained.

As I sheltered from the torrential rain in the cavernous foyer of Dalston Junction station, I stopped myself from bellowing a sonorous RSM's  
"ADAM!" as I saw him ride past through the stair rods, for fear of terrifying the gaggle of 14 year old girls clad in shorts shorter than a short thing. And very little else.

With a heavy heart I set out into the monsoon to meet at the Pub on the Park with wet Adam and the others.

I got wet.

Adam was there. Wet.

On my suggestion, we moved to the cover afforded by a railway bridge. Beneath it, it was dry  :thumbsup:.

Teeth were sucked. Sky was looked towards. It continued to rain.

Teef was texted, but that elicited no reply.

Frank was a confirmed DNS.

The pub was Still Serving.

So.......  whilst we availed ourselves of some fermented grape juice, it continued to rain.

Lots.

Imagine our surprise to find the pub Still Serving (we're talking 01:00 am here) once we'd imbibed our first attitude adjuster.

Goodness! In view of all the rain we thought it'd be rude not to have another. Whilst it continued to rain.

Eventually (they stopped serving) Adam and I parted, heading home north and south respectively. It was still raining.

I zig-zagged through east London and crossed the river courtesy of the Rotherhithe Tunnel (in which there was no rain) which was (unusually) closed to northbound traffic - so 2 lanes southbound. I undertook a number of vehicles as they adhered to the 20mph limit :-[.

South of the river the rain had stopped.

I took the longer detour home via Creek Road and Greenwich.

The question is what happens now?
It's 02:26.
My body clock is all over the place (I had about 3 hours kip between 18:00 and 21:00 last night)
The rain has stopped.

Now what?

Did I mention that it rained?

Martini

« Reply #45 on: 11 June, 2011, 02:48:59 am »
My 'phone had been announcing a ticket reservation this week.  It's 02:45 Saturday, and I have just woken up. A very large penny has dropped, so I say sorry unreservedly to Adam and Jurek for not even being awake - let alone not turning up. I have nothing in my diary which is unusual, so I will blame work and more work, in no particular order. I haven't been around much this week either, so now I'm going back to CChat to find any mention... then I'll blame something else.  I would definitely have bailed anyway, but not letting you know Adam is 0/10 for me.

Sorry.  :-\

And Tim, I hope you are getting on ok.

« Reply #46 on: 11 June, 2011, 02:52:25 am »
  ....I would definitely have bailed anyway, but not letting you know Adam is 0/10 for me....

No reason to give yourself a hard time over it. I had a stonking ride home once I was south of the river.  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #47 on: 11 June, 2011, 04:25:49 am »
Well, what a washout!

I'll be honest and say in any event, I wasn't 100% fit, as I'd wrenched my right knee a bit clambering over the rocks on the beach at Bognor last weekend, but I didn't want to cancel.  So I left home at 10 pm, and it was still light, and the roads were almost dry.  On the train in, I noticed that as we stopped at each station, the platforms seemed to be getting wetter and wetter.

It was raining in West Hampstead when I got off, and as I cycled closer to Hackney, it seemed to be getting darker, and the rain was getting heavier and heavier.

I've just looked up where Dalston Station is.  There was huge puddles on the road, and I was avoiding getting squashed by cars due to the roadworks.  Anyway, by the time I got to London Fields, it was torrential rain, almost biblical.  It had taken me 40 minutes to do 7 miles.  And I didn't have my usual wet weather gear on.  Well, why should I?  It wasn't supposed to be raining!!!!!!!!

I was hoping Jurek had been sensible and hadn't turned up, as that would give me the perfect excuse for not carrying on.   However, he had, so we did what any sane person would do and turned to drink.  As mentioned above, it was still raining at 1 am, when the pub finally stopped serving, so we headed off home.  Typically, I got to the station 10 minutes after the hourly train left.  On the plus side, I had a very interesting chat with a guy from St Albans who's off next week to spend 3 months cycling to India, another 3 months cycling around India, and then hopping on a plane to Australia, and then he was thinking of heading up to China.

Then when I got off the train in Luton, guess what I saw - heavy rain!

Anyway, by the time I got home, I'd accepted that it had been too wet to do anything and it would have carried on being wet.  Fortunately it was only my feet that had got really wet.

Martin, please don't worry about being asleep - I'd assumed you'd looked out of the window anyway and wouldn't have been out. You were the sensible one.

We'll have to re-schedule for later in the summer - how does late August sound?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #48 on: 11 June, 2011, 04:33:04 am »
The question is what happens now?
It's 02:26.
My body clock is all over the place (I had about 3 hours kip between 18:00 and 21:00 last night)
The rain has stopped.

Now what?

Get yourself to Greenwich for 06.30, and go and do a recce ride to Whitstable!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #49 on: 11 June, 2011, 08:44:32 am »
There's a wise old saying round these parts:

Dun Run in June? Expect a Monsoon.
Dun Run in July? It sometimes might be dry.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.