Author Topic: Northampton ride to London - Sat. 24th March  (Read 1820 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Northampton ride to London - Sat. 24th March
« on: 27 February, 2012, 08:23:42 pm »
I'm starting another series of "Rides to London" which I'm also flagging on Cycle Chat as being suitable for anyone wanting to build up endurance on the FNRttC London to John O'Grouts tour, as they'll go over similar terrain to be encountered on the first section.

For this first one, it's a 79 mile route, departing from Northampton railway station at 10:30 am. Once we escape from Northampton, then it's mainly minor roads running parallel to the A5, heading south east. Lunch will be at a pub in the village of Wing after about 35 miles.

The approximate route is shown here although it will alter slightly as there's a couple of hills I need to get rid of, the main one being Ivinghoe Beacon. Once I've sorted that out, the gradients are generally no more than 5% with only 1 short incline just under 10%.

No-one will be left behind on these rides and we'll stop for regular re-groups.

For getting to Northampton, for any London residents, there are a couple of trains leaving either side of 9 am from Euston and tickets on London Midland are £6. Or you could pay a lot more on Virgin, to go a bit faster for some of the route if you want to top-up Richard Branson's dividends.  :P
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Northampton ride to London - Sat. 24th March
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »
The midland fares are really good when compared to east costs main line.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »
I've booked barginess train tickets for us, inc. bike reservations. We'll get into Northampton at 10h05.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »
 :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »
I've got a slightly altered route which misses out some hills and is at least 2 miles shorter overall.  There is about a 100m stretch of rough-ish concrete though.

I just need to tidy up the gpx file, and I'll post a link in the next day or so.

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2012, 11:12:23 am »
Hi Adam,

What sort of average pace will you me riding at please?   We're sort of interested but 75 is probably too far for us so we'd be looking to bail out at Hemel to catch a train back to Rugby.

We don't want to slow you guys down just for the sake of joining you.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2012, 03:21:09 pm »
I'm working on a moving average of no more than 12-13 mph, as there'll be at least 10 people, so I wouldn't worry about being too slow. 

« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »
I aim to do the first 12 miles or so on my bent trike and 12-13 mph is my average pace.
So you won't be that only slow one.

See you there .........  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2012, 05:57:02 pm »
Given a sensible pace, I'm tempted, assuming I can shake off the remainder of this lurgy by then...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »
It'll be nice to see you.  Plenty of sections near to a station for getting a train back, if you need a bail out.

The revised route is shown here, although following suggestions from Tigerbiten on Cyclechat, there might be a a slight diversion.  As I'd mentioned over on CC, the lunch stop is after 31 miles in Wing at the Queens Head - if you could let me know what you'd like for lunch from their menu, they'd appreciate it, although it's fine to leave it until we get there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:48:41 pm »
My knees are protesting somewhat after an afternoon of stop-start upwrongular cycling (including comedy off-roading on a mildly appropriate bike), but the head, lungs and - perhaps most importantly - weather are on side.

If I don't feel like death in the morning, I'll drag myself to Mordor Central, and attempt to board the 09:13 (which I believe gets to Northampton at 10:20 or so).  As you say, I can always bail to a railway station somewhere along the route.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:51:37 pm »
My knees are protesting somewhat after an afternoon of stop-start upwrongular cycling (including comedy off-roading on a mildly appropriate bike), but the head, lungs and - perhaps most importantly - weather are on side.

If I don't feel like death in the morning, I'll drag myself to Mordor Central, and attempt to board the 09:13 (which I believe gets to Northampton at 10:20 or so).  As you say, I can always bail to a railway station somewhere along the route.

I'm booked on that train, hopefully see you at Mordor Euston :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2012, 09:09:58 am »
...And I'm on the train. Not awake yet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 25 March, 2012, 12:16:51 am »
...And home, showered, fed and now baking cake in anticipation of more cycling tomorrow.

Not convinced I was awake at any point all day, certainly not now.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:00:57 am »
Well done!  A lovely day out in the sunshine with a wide variety of bikes (and trailer).  Roll on summer.