Author Topic: Ideas for rides around north Norfolk  (Read 2071 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Ideas for rides around north Norfolk
« on: 20 October, 2008, 12:44:13 pm »
Next week I will be staying around Dersingham erm, I meant Stanhoe for a week with Nienke & my parents.  We'll have the bikes with us and are planning on some cycling.  None of us know that area, so does anyone have some suggestions of decent rides in the region of 100 km?  We'll have a car and therefore routes that start in Dersingham aren't essential.  Thanks.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Ideas for rides around north Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2008, 02:34:19 pm »
Get the leaflets from a tourist information. NCN1 is virtually all on road round North Norfolk, and is OK. There is a £2.50 leaflet with maps of this and 'explorer loops that is pretty good. Bircham Mill is a good tea stop, but a bit close to your base. It's well worth cycling through Holkham Hall grounds, and you can continue on to Wells-Next-Sea (via the beach path if you don't mind a bit of non-tarmac). The Coast road is busy during the summer, and quite twisty with ups & downs. Pubs - Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe is good.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 20 October, 2008, 05:33:46 pm »
Wot WJ sed.
Or just get an OS map and go wherever. It's all roughly the same, but pretty good if you like easy cycling. It's not dramatic scenery, but mostly pleasant. Plenty of lanes to cyle on, except for in the Norfolk Broads.

Sophie Days

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2008, 07:37:18 pm »
Just try to avoid the Kings Lynn to Fakenham to Cromer road if possible and maybe the coast road at weekends. Apart from those anything is good, in a headwind sort of way.

« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:02:39 pm »
lovely.  Be sure to go to fatbirds in hunstanton and letch at the shiny bikes :D

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:01:43 am »
Just try to avoid the Kings Lynn to Fakenham to Cromer road if possible and maybe the coast road at weekends. Apart from those anything is good, in a headwind sort of way.

That is not the only road around Kings Lynn that is busy. I once camped at North Runction and rode into KL at 8 in the morning along the A47. That was very hectic.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:25:19 am »
Bircham Mill is a good tea stop, but a bit close to your base.

Lovely tea stop indeed, but usually closed over the winter.

Holt has some great tea rooms and is a wonderful little town (stock up on jams 'n stuff in Larners) so worth a visit generally.

If you're after a longer ride head over to Heydon (Norwich-ish direction, on the way to North Walsham - but better to check a map than rely upon my directions!). It is a private village with a tiny pub (home to a fine cat), a tea room, a blacksmith and a hairdresser (obviously). You're allowed to wander round the grounds of the estate too. I think nothing is supposed to have been built there since 18- blah de blah.

Castle Acre also as tea rooms. And two pubs.

Actually, look at the Norfolk CTC website, it lists all the tea rooms they use, and links to some in Suffolk if you're feeling adventurous.

And yes, I know there's more to Norfolk than tea stops, but still...
Abnormal for Norfolk

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2008, 10:56:48 am »
Roads to avoid on a bike in that area:

A47, A149, A148, A10, A134

Pretty much all B-roads are great. The lanes are brilliant. Don't expect flatness north of an East/West line from Heacham through Fakenham to Mundesley - there be (small) hills there.

Watch out - the faeries are about - it's sugar beet harvest, and the soil is ver ver flinty hereabouts.

Have fun!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2008, 03:17:17 pm »
Thanks guys for the useful comments.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2008, 03:55:08 pm »
And Norfolk aint flat!  Be warned!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »
Also consider the Goldeneye maps for a range of circular route suggestions.

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:18:46 pm »
Suggestions for stops / visits - Holkham park, hall & beach; Walsingham - & spend a bit of time exploring the religious history via the Norton tea rooms, Wells-next-Sea for a view up the channel to the lifeboat house, Castle Acre cafes castle river & priory, Binhan Priory, Sandringham, Blakeney, Houghton Hall - may not be open. Most of the country roads are very quiet, but it is the sugar-beet season so could be muddy in places with FLINTS !. The coast road tends to be busier, so dip in & out.

I hope the weather is kind to you.

bazzz
Where have all the hedges gone ?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:21:49 pm »
The coast road is pretty flat west of Burnham Deepdale, and very quiet in the evening.  I went to Hunstanton and back one night on the fixie (70" on the Fuji) and it was a pretty easy run.  Go inland, and there are some rolling hills.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.