Author Topic: Google 'classic' maps discontinued?  (Read 12724 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Google 'classic' maps discontinued?
« Reply #25 on: 05 June, 2015, 02:24:34 pm »
Yeahbut I think you'll find the link it generates takes you into New Google Maps where it has a maximum of 10 controls (9 plus the last one). Thats what it did when I last looked, anyway.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

« Reply #27 on: 05 June, 2015, 07:22:24 pm »
Good News and Bad News...
Elizabeth Kricfalusi
United States

5 Jun 2015 — The good news is we've passed the 10K mark for petition signatures. Woo-hoo!

The bad news is that Google has slowly been turning the tap off on working Classic Maps URLs and the only one left that I can get to work is http://www.google.com/maps/myplaces.

I'm working on a couple of things to try to get some more momentum behind our efforts and hope to announce them on Monday. Stay tuned!
=============

10K is a nice number but not many compared to the Google userbase, alas. Still, better to light a single candle...

I'm bewildered by Google withdrawing GMC. Those with long memories will remember that when Google launched its USP was a clean and simple interface. Forget New Google Maps, it feels like we need a New Google!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2015, 05:41:17 pm »
10k IS a nice number, and may well grow hugely.

Put aside your cynicism about these petitions - google are VERY interested in their users' views, are a flexible company, and are capable of very fast change.

This is not like whining to government about something etched in stone.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2015, 10:38:09 am »
I've just been in googłe maps and it was quite happy me adding 17 controls / destination points. So not sure where people are seeing this 10 limit.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:41:23 am »
Is there a confusion between 'pull points' added to force a reroute, and destination points?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:46:19 am »
Is there a confusion between 'pull points' added to force a reroute, and destination points?
The above was 17 destination points, not pull / drag points.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2015, 11:50:23 am »
Quite - that's why I was enquiring if there was a confusion (among some other posters).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

« Reply #33 on: 08 June, 2015, 11:56:50 pm »
I find that after 10 dests the 'add dest' link disappears'

Attempting to open a google maps classic link with more than 10 dests , gives the start 2-9 then the last dest. IME, YMMV

Paul

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2015, 03:13:29 pm »
This appears to be working:

www.google.com/maps/mmtypeanythinghere

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #35 on: 06 July, 2015, 06:12:00 pm »
Organisers will need to be aware. I've found the new "google maps" to be out of range by up to 10% whilst route checking for my events. The most accurate alternative I've found so far is bing maps: www.bing.com/maps. Not exactly shakespeare but it'll have to do (for now).

Andy Corless

« Reply #36 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:38:02 pm »
I've only just discovered that classic gmaps is no more.  Is there any word on whether the current gmaps (walking mode) is the new audax route e.g. DIY by GPS creating default? 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #37 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »
Definite news is awaited.

Meanwhile the current Gmaps (walking) does a fair job, as does Bing, and possibly others. But there's currently no agreed standard for working out "shortest road distance between controls".

An entry with a "Mandatory Route" may be possible ahead of its official introduction; this avoids the above problem.

« Reply #38 on: 26 December, 2015, 09:31:08 am »
Are mandatory routes on the way?  I've  been playing around with new gmaps and trying to construct a local 300km DIYxGPS, but in any event finding that I need to pin the route down on gmaps with more (x13) 'controls' to be able to cycle the roads I wish too, without going to far over distance.  Though at least an over distance 300km off ~330km, had the benefit of being a Godwin unit.  I keep telling myself that it must be time i had a go at this distance...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #39 on: 26 December, 2015, 09:48:34 am »
My understanding is that organisers will determine if events have mandatory routes or not.  For the Cambrian Series the routes will remain free although suggested routes are provided via Google Maps links. 

One solution over the Goggle Maps problem is to split the ride into two, three sections, or even more sections, each of which can have the 10 points / way marks.  Its a nuisance.  I've found that I've gradually become more deft with the new version and its foibles.  I toggle between the car and the bike versions.  The good bit about the bike version is it now gives an estimate of the ascent (which surprisingly looks like it under reads the contour count), but the bad news is that it seems to be built up on other bike routes that have been entered so it leads to some weird selections.  It can also occasionally still pick up routes that are only suitable for off-road machines.  It does seem to learn though.  Some of the Cambrian routes now appear to come up automatically (though that might must be my personal google preferences)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #40 on: 26 December, 2015, 12:23:54 pm »
I think the AGM cemented mandatory routes for DIY by GPS in place if you choose to do it this way - submit a route and then ride it and if you don't stray off the predicted course you will be fine. You don't need controls at all.   

At least, that's my understanding of it though I haven't done one myself yet. Best speak to your DIY organiser.

The only ambiguity lies in what happens if you're way is blocked and you have to find another way, but that's been discussed at length elsewhere
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:52:30 pm »
Are mandatory routes on the way?  I've  been playing around with new gmaps and trying to construct a local 300km DIYxGPS, but in any event finding that I need to pin the route down on gmaps with more (x13) 'controls' to be able to cycle the roads I wish too, without going to far over distance.  Though at least an over distance 300km off ~330km, had the benefit of being a Godwin unit.  I keep telling myself that it must be time i had a go at this distance...
Andy,
Just ride The Dean or the Cheddar Gorge perms. Both are gorgeous and pass within a few km of you.

Once you've done those you can waste your time on more complex past-times :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #42 on: 26 December, 2015, 05:24:38 pm »
A tool to support DIYxGPS organisers in validating mandatory routes is very much 'in progress'.
In the meantime some DIYxGPS organisers have indicated that they can accept entries on the basis of a .gpx track (as opposed to a gmaps URL) but the rider would still need to nominate some controls (at intervals of between 50km and 80km)

hillbilly

« Reply #43 on: 26 December, 2015, 07:21:26 pm »
Matt. I think the Dean perm is no more as the organiser stepped down and only the calendar event found a new home? Although could be DIYd

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 26 December, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »
Matt. I think the Dean perm is no more as the organiser stepped down and only the calendar event found a new home? Although could be DIYd
EEk - you could be right.

That makes the DIY approach almost more attractive. The routesheet is easily obtainable.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #45 on: 27 December, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »
I like the sound of a mandatory track DIYxGPS.  Had a bit of a play with new Gmaps & Bing walking modes.  IME trying to work with the walking-mode distance between specific controls, while in tandem attempting to plot a route with roads that one prefers to cycle onand not going too far overdistance, can be pretty tricky.  Seems to be harder to construct a good DIYxGPS in some regions owing to the pattern/density of  A-roads.  Re. mandatory routes, I normally carry my smartphone with spare battery, so could use this as back-up should I notice my Etrex fail.  My guess is that if a road closure forced a detour, it would still be acceptable if the gpx track showed >than attempted distance...

Matt - re Dean300 I'd prolly prefer to tackle a later season & flatter, local 300Km as my first...

« Reply #46 on: 23 May, 2016, 04:39:03 pm »
I thought Google Maps was irretrievable broken for Audax purposes.  I remembered this thread from when it all went belly up, with all the bemoaning about it being the end of DIY Perms as we knew it.

I'm just in the process of planning my York Summer Dart route, and I've very successfully plotted onto Google Maps what I intend with no trouble at all, and I'm now wondering what all the fuss was about.  I have 7 controls (including start and finish) in walking mode, and it's giving me what looks to be a reliable shortest-distance route for over 300km.  My actual ride will be more than that of course, but with careful positioning of my controls my actual is within 5% over the minimum which I find quite acceptable.

On re-reading the thread, I see that the problem was that there is now a maximum of 10 controls, which now leaves me quite perplexed.  Surely any ride of up to 300km which needs more than 10 controls isn't really an Audax, it's just a bike ride.  If it's a 600, then plan it in two separate files of 10 controls each.  My own Pair of Kirtons 600 Perm requires just 12 controls.

We have of course since adopted mandatory routes, something which I'm ambivalent about.  I'm unlikely to use for my Perms - I very much prefer to give my rides a sense of adventure, and allow myself to take a different route on the day on a whim (while still reaching all my controls of course so the fewer of those the better).

« Reply #47 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:54:30 pm »
Strava routeplanner 'popularity' mode is helpful - I do find though I sometimes need to move the route off a first pick 'busier than comfortable' A-road e.g. Wallingford to Henley.  Agree using new gmaps is difficult, for a minimal control, and <5-10% overdistance DIY route.  I look forward to testing a first mandatory route DIYxGPS, as I normally stick rigidly to my gpx track anyway.  On the UT200 last year there was an enforced diversion due to power cables down, which added extra km, and I'm guessing that if such a route alteration was needed on a mandatory DIYxGPS, and distance was not less than required, this would be OK.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 27 May, 2016, 01:11:32 pm »
Strava routeplanner 'popularity' mode is helpful

Ooh, I didn't know about that (never seen reason to use Strava's route planner).  That's a bit clever.  I also see it can minimise elevation, which is sometimes useful.

« Reply #49 on: 27 May, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »
Strava routeplanner 'popularity' mode is helpful

Ooh, I didn't know about that (never seen reason to use Strava's route planner).  That's a bit clever.  I also see it can minimise elevation, which is sometimes useful.

Also the route planner elevation comes up pretty much smack on what the eTrex barometric elevation records, which begs the question why is the elevation a lot lower if you load the track without doing the 'with Barometer' trick.