Author Topic: Four Minute Mile 200, Hertfordshire Greenways 100, Herts Greenways Lite 50  (Read 2110 times)

Phil W

The second editions for the Four Minute Mile 200, Hertfordshire Greenways 100 and the new Greenways lite 50 will be running on Sat September 21st. A nice post PBP leg stretch. In addition the Four Minute Mile 200 perm can now by validated by GPS.  I am working on a perm version of the Hertfordshire Greenways 100. Watch this space.

Some pics from riders

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eW1fDfwPGfbNCkXU9

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-265/

The second running of an outing to the Iffley stadium, Oxford where the four minute mile was broken in 1954 by Roger Bannister. Double crossing of Chilterns, rolling and scenic ridgeline through Vale of Aylesbury.

Cafe start, mid way stop at the Iffley Stadium cafe, Oxford, and pub finish. Makes use of the Princes Risborough - Thame greenway which is gravel in places but suitable for road bike. This time anti clockwise to get the majority of the climbing out of the way in the first half. Why not stretch your legs as a post PBP end of season finale?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-268/

The second fun editon to explore the traffic free greenways Ayot Greenway, Nickey Line, Alban Way, and Cole Green Way. This time you get to go round in an anti clockwise direction.

A delightful outing on the greenways of Hertfordshire. Tackles 45km of the old disused railways, combined with quiet lanes, cafe start / finish, a halfway cafe and low minimum speed makes for a fun and different day out.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-263/

A new introductary event to complement the Four Minute Mile 200 and Hertfordshire Greenways 100. A mix of gentle off road, greenways, and quiet lanes. Cafe start / finish.

A fun introductary day out that takes in some light off road and greenways of Hertfordshire. Cafe start / finish with the opportunity of a couple of cafes on the way round. Couple of easy info controls to keep it interesting.

Phil W

Re: Four Minute Mile 200, Hertfordshire Greenways 100, Herts Greenways Lite 50
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2019, 08:11:52 pm »
Route sheet check of the Four Minute mile 200 completed today.

No major problems to report , and pleased to see some repair of the Phoenix greenway after the earthquake size cracks appeared in last year's prolonged heatwave. A missed left turn in the route sheet instructions in the Chilterns which was kind of critical. Some distances corrected. Some biased three way traffic lights in Oxford due to road works. Should be able to avoid those once I've had a quick look at the map, we just need to turn earlier, as roadworks were 400 m before the turn to the stadium.

None bike stuff next two days, so hopefully will be able to get the updates done and GPX and route sheets issued to entrants by late Tuesday or Wednesday.

Felt a bit autumnal first thing and when I was finishing, wore my jacket for both start and finish.  Cool,during day with sunny periods but mostly grey clouds and northerly wind. Pack your warmer spares for two weeks time.

This will be the first running clockwise and I think it works better for the hills apart from the climb up to Sundon on the last stage.  We shall see what riders think in two weeks. Hoping for better weather for them than last year .

If anyone would like to help with arrivee duties in the afternoon or evening please PM me. Afternoon will be in / outside cafe and evening in / outside pub depending on weather.

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2019, 11:01:48 am »
Just signed up for the 100. My first ever Audax event. Looking forward to it!

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2019, 12:56:52 pm »
Great stuff.

I hope to get the ride info, route sheets and GPX for the 100 out to entrants later this week.

Cafe will be opening early for breakfasts, teas, coffees etc. from 7am on the day if you are arriving early. The cafe also has toilets.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2019, 01:05:05 pm »
The ride info, route sheets and GPX for the 200 were sent out to entrants yesterday.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Four Minute Mile / Herts Greenways
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2019, 02:21:25 pm »
Anyone else, apart from Neil C, doing any of these tomorrow?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Phil W

Re: Four Minute Mile / Herts Greenways
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2019, 03:27:35 pm »
I've got 64 riders on the start lists after a few drop outs this week.  Will be a good turn out if they all come. I've got one spare card for the 200, and a few more for the 100 and 50, if anyone fancies a late entry.

Forecast looks fabulous.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2019, 04:42:04 pm »
Correction - two spare cards for the 200.

Just printing and sticking labels on brevets at the moment.

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2019, 04:53:01 pm »
The Greenways was a good ride last year. Sadly, this year, I'm not yet allowed back on my bike by the medical people. Recommended event though :thumbsup:

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2019, 05:59:31 pm »
I'll be stamping a few cards at the end of the 100 so say hello if you are on that one  :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2019, 10:19:36 am »
Between 60-70 starters, with about 16 DNS.

Photos from the start https://photos.app.goo.gl/uDpnfPPTcFdqBS64A

Fabulous day to be riding, wish I was out on the events myself. 

See everyone later, have a fab day.

S2L

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2019, 04:49:18 pm »
Between 60-70 starters, with about 16 DNS.

Photos from the start https://photos.app.goo.gl/uDpnfPPTcFdqBS64A

Fabulous day to be riding, wish I was out on the events myself. 

See everyone later, have a fab day.

do you include all the DNS or only those who didn't let you know in advance? Seems a very low number of DNS...
Overall, I struggle to make 60% of starters

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:00:22 pm »
All the DNS including those who didn't let me know.

It's a great forecast, if we were going to get the thunderstorms of tomorrow I'm sure the DNS would be much higher.

S2L

« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2019, 05:54:19 pm »
All the DNS including those who didn't let me know.

It's a great forecast, if we were going to get the thunderstorms of tomorrow I'm sure the DNS would be much higher.

Never noticed much of a correlation between DNS and forecast, unless it's really bad. You must have some pretty motivated customers, mine clearly are a bit lazy...  :P

« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:33:09 pm »
Thanks for organising this, Phil, we enjoyed it. I knew that the lanes would be nice, but was quite surprised and impressed by the cycling infrastructure in Stevenage.

« Reply #15 on: 23 September, 2019, 04:34:57 pm »
Yes, thanks Phil, I really had a good day and found the route to be very good. Hopefully by next year I’ll be doing the 200!

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »
Great stuff. I'll see if I can get the same weather booked for next year as well.