Author Topic: Adding pockets to Super C rack bag  (Read 2990 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Adding pockets to Super C rack bag
« on: 15 May, 2008, 12:14:04 pm »
I'm a fan of the Carradice Prima rack bag with its big handy side pockets.  However, I got a Super C bag as well to use sometimes instead for its larger main compartment.  This does not have any pockets on the sides.  I would like some.  What would be a good way of adding some?

Barking madly, I'm thinking of buying another Prima bag just to nick the pockets off it (complete with material from the bag sides).  But how to attach them?

Would a pop riveter be any use?  I've not used one before and know nothing about them.  Any recommendations for guns and rivets?  Or any other methods?

I don't have a sewing machine, and hand-sewing wouldn't be feasible due to the thick tough material.  I could perhaps ask Carradice to custom-make a bag for me, but I feel the urge to get on with it myself now.  On the other hand, now I've typed my idea out, it seems quite silly and expensive!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Adding pockets to Super C rack bag
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:40:36 pm »
Too fiddly for a sewing machine.  I'd hand-sew with big chunky needles and pliers to pull them through the thick bits, like you would with leather. 

Gloriously daft.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:44:52 pm »
I didn't think of pulling a needle with pliers, thanks.  Sounds like hard work, but the end result would be good.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:58:37 pm »
You'll be able to get heavy duty needles from a sewing shop - specifically designed for heavy materials such as canvas.  They're thicker and stiffer than ordinary sewing needles and won't bend when you try to push them through the material.  Get a thimble too - they stop you from sliding the end of the needle under your fingernail when pushing it through three layers of fabric. :sick:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:18:11 pm »
Not leather needles though - they're cutty and would slice the threads.

Use linen thread.  Run it through a block of beeswax first to rot-proof it.

(LARP kit :) )
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

aglet

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:25:56 pm »
[...] Use linen thread [...]

I use dental floss for jobs like this.

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
Why not write to the Carradice lady that has made the bag and ask her nicely for a factory custom job?

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:34:09 pm »
How "Carradice" do you want the end product?

Ortleib do pockets that attach to their panniers. Simply push 4 small holes into the fabric and fix on the (waterproof) fixing 2 small pockets that are secure, easy to fit and can be removed when you don't need them....
http://www.ortleib.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=aussentasche

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:41:33 pm »
Along these lines

You could do something similar with seatpacks:

You could sew them on with a providing you have a string enough thimble, or desperate Dan fingers!

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:52:17 pm »
I think the Ortlieb pockets would be a bit too large, otherwise I wouldn't mind them.

I might write to Carradice afterall to save myself the heavy-duty sewing.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:56:19 pm »
I think the Ortlieb pockets would be a bit too large, otherwise I wouldn't mind them.
Yes they would be, I was only using them to show you that you could do the similar thing with a small seatpack

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:05:06 pm »
Sergeant Pluck also suggested the Ortlieb pockets.  Actually I think they might just fit, but I'm not sure I want such large pockets.  Big is good, but they would be huge on this bag.

Interesting idea about seatpacks.  Thanks very much, Paul.  I will look around for suitable size and shape packs if I decide to go down the route of sewing anything on myself.

« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:36:31 pm »
Ortlieb do small pockets, that are not a great deal bigger than Carradice pockets.............

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »
Thanks. The 22 x 12 x 7.5 cm Ortleib pockets might do the job.  I might prefer a custom-made bag, though, so I am going to ask Carradice if one is possible.

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:50:59 pm »
Thanks. The 22 x 12 x 7.5 cm Ortleib pockets might do the job.  I might prefer a custom-made bag, though, so I am going to ask Carradice if one is possible.

They may do it. A chappy in my club had them make a custom bag to hand under his tri bars  on his tandem. No idea of the cost though.

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:03:03 am »
Coming from a mountaineering background, I hate rucksacks with too many pockets, they look wrong and the seams always leak water into the main compartment. I think bike luggage is the same and complexity is a recipe for problems imho.
If you must though, you can use Seam Sealant (a flexible glue like stuff) to ....seal the seams to make them waterproof after you have stitched them on.

« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2008, 10:40:09 am »
I just noticed the title of this thread "Adding pockets to a  Super Crack bag", you trying to tell us something Biggsy ? Into pedalling drugs now ?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Rack, Sack and Crack
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:08:25 pm »
I like bags with lots of pockets for quick access to small items (like my crack pipe), as well as making more room in the main compartment.  The Carradice Prima manages to be reasonably water-resistant with its three pockets.  I can put things in plastic bags if I need them totally protected.

The Super C main compartment has a lining that is not joined to the sides, so wouldn't be affected by pockets if they were done properly.

Thanks for the Seam Sealant tip anyway.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:03:37 am »
I finally got round to emailing Carradice yesterday.

The reply today is that they "can't make such modifications as a 'one off' especially in the
summer months
".