Author Topic: Sizing Advice  (Read 1606 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Sizing Advice
« on: 15 May, 2008, 12:31:03 pm »
I am in a bit of a dilema and would appreciate some advice.

I currently Ride a Dawes 531C Audax and a semi restored Carlton, both are 56CMS frame size.( 58Cms Top tube )  I find that both are slightly to large with very little crotch clearance  ( 29inch inside leg ) and I need to use a 80 Cms stem in order to feel comfortable. I am 5ft 10 tall.

There is a possibility of a very nice machine becoming avaialble but it is 50cms ( 52 cms top tube )and I am unable to try before I buy.

Is this going to be to small ?

Chris N

Re: Sizing Advice
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:54:35 pm »
Probably, yes.  You could use a long, high stem and a long seatpost to get the right position (after all, that's exactly what you need to do with many of the compact frames to get them to fit) but it won't look quite right and the handling might be a bit odd because of the long stem.  A 50cm frame is probably best suited to someone around 5' 6" or under (dependent on leg/torso/arm length, etc.).  However if you could try it out before you should, just to see if it does work or not.

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:01:16 pm »
yes, probably will be too small.  mrs Mike rides a 50cm frame and she's tiny. What about the frame clarion is selling on the classifieds board?  Might be about right..

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:00:52 pm »
I am in a bit of a dilema and would appreciate some advice.

I currently Ride a Dawes 531C Audax and a semi restored Carlton, both are 56CMS frame size.( 58Cms Top tube )  I find that both are slightly to large with very little crotch clearance  ( 29inch inside leg ) and I need to use a 80 Cms stem in order to feel comfortable. I am 5ft 10 tall.

There is a possibility of a very nice machine becoming avaialble but it is 50cms ( 52 cms top tube )and I am unable to try before I buy.

Is this going to be to small ?
5ft 10 tall with a 29inch inside leg (assume that is to floor, many state trouser leg length) means you are relatively short in the leg for someone your height. I would eliminate a 54 then down to a 52 before going as low as 50cm.

In all cases I like to see the rider on the bike myself, that way I can observe how the person is physically; some are rounder shouldered, stiff backed, long or short in the arms, all of which naturally effects the posture/position. Each rider has a personal style, I for example do long tours yet sit quite flat where many touring riders prefer a more relaxed upright position, Sean Kelly sat upright/short, Greg Lemond (next to Armstrong) had  a long and flat position, you can't really tell that purely from data, it is only when I can see the rider and chat to them about their preferences that I like to give an accurate opinion regarding which size.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:23:02 pm »
Thanks Paul

I think the moral is "try before you buy" , no matter how tempting the offer.

Now where is that ride to work scheme form  ;) ;) ;)