Author Topic: Centering Side Pulls  (Read 2820 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Centering Side Pulls
« on: 15 May, 2008, 02:54:44 pm »
I don't like side pulls.

I just don't.

I don't get them at all.

I've never been able to sort my sidepulls so they don't drag on the rim, and even Sheldon's not much use.

What do I have to do?  I've tried adjusting all the various nuts etc, but it ain't helping.

Any ideas?  My Woodrup is gonna be slow if there ain't. :(
Getting there...

Re: Centring Side Pulls
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:03:15 pm »
My technique:-

Whichever way the calipers want to go when you're tightening the nut, hold them the other way, against the rim. Then, when it's tight enough, let go of the caliper and just tweak the nut enough to centre the brake. Sometimes you have to just help the caliper to follow that last tweak.

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:05:04 pm »
Pull the brakes on with the lever before doing the nut up tight.

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:25:03 pm »
Fetch spoke key from toolbox.  Carefully tighten all spokes by approx 1/4 turn on side of wheel opposite  rubbing brake block, taking care to maintain radial trueness.  Voila!
Sheep we're off again.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Centering Side Pulls
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
To center: Wrench the whole thing round with a spanner AFTER it is mounted tightly.  Crude, but it works.

The cable/spring end/pivot may need lubricating or adjusting if an arm doesn't release, or release far enough.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:18:56 pm »
Dismantled; lubricated; reassembled carefully; went for ride; periodically shifted the unit sideways :-\

Much better now, thanks, but I really need an impossibly-shaped hypertool to reach the centring nut...
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:46:52 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:49:56 pm »
Yup - that'd be kinda the thing, but it happens to be a wee bit tricky on this bike because... well, it doesn't matter, just that it's not easily accessible...

I'll go ask my lbs, thanks :)
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:43:26 pm »
Yup - that'd be kinda the thing, but it happens to be a wee bit tricky on this bike because... well, it doesn't matter, just that it's not easily accessible...

I'll go ask my lbs, thanks :)

Wait.  :hand:
You know the spring that goes horizontally thru the slotty thing TM on the bolt then has an arm that goes down each side behind the brake arms?

Well, get a screwdiver anna small ammer, and tap the horizontal bit of the spring down a bit on the side that's rubbing. That works to centre it without having to buy the Impossibly Shaped Hyertool TM
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:59:06 pm »

Whichever way the calipers want to go when you're tightening the nut, hold them the other way, against the rim. Then, when it's tight enough, let go of the caliper and just tweak the nut enough to centre the brake. Sometimes you have to just help the caliper to follow that last tweak.

That is how I do it as well. What I'm doing is adjusting the "at rest" position of the calipers, it's always worked for me.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:02:27 pm »
Wait.  :hand:
You know the spring that goes horizontally thru the slotty thing TM on the bolt then has an arm that goes down each side behind the brake arms?

Well, get a screwdiver anna small ammer, and tap the horizontal bit of the spring down a bit on the side that's rubbing. That works to centre it without having to buy the Impossibly Shaped Hyertool TM

Ah!  That sounds familiar!  Couldn't remember which way to do what to who...

Will see if I can trim it better tomorrow :)
Getting there...

vince

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:43:03 pm »
Does this thread hold for dual-pivot brakes too? Mine were driving me crazy tonight  >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2008, 09:50:27 pm »
Oh bother!  I was hoping dps wouldn't suffer the same... :(
Getting there...

vince

« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:02:46 pm »
I'm thinking that there are two types of cyclists: those whose brakes rub and those whose don't  :-\

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »
The pivots, springs and cables of dual-pivot brakes need to be in good condition too, but they tend to stay centered better, and are easier to center thanks to a small fine-tuning screw on one side.  This may have a screwdriver or Allen head.

vince

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2008, 07:16:50 am »
Aha, I shall investigate this evening and report back.

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:11:31 am »

That is how I do it as well. What I'm doing is adjusting the "at rest" position of the calipers, it's always worked for me.

An extra note to this: for it to work properly you have to hold the calipers open. It's easier if you open the quick-release or slacken the brake adjustment first.