Author Topic: Cycling in New York - and a few questions  (Read 3751 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Cycling in New York - and a few questions
« on: 21 May, 2008, 04:32:39 pm »
I'm going to New York the weekend after next and I'm taking my Brompton.

I'll be arriving too late for Critical Mass, but I'd quite like to use my bike to get around Manhattan and maybe find an organised ride to do that weekend.  The Riverside Ride sounds fun, but if you know any better...?

1. I need to get from JFK to Manhattan.  Would it be insane to ride or should I just get public transport?  I'd like to ride if possible.  Do you know a good route?

2. What would you suggest I go and see?  I'd like to go and ride round the main sights, but is it worth getting the boat over to the Statue of Liberty, for instance?

3. I want to go shopping.  Mainly for archery stuff, camping gear and bike bits.  Can you recommend any good shops?

4.  Where can I stay?  I want to find somewhere cheap and reasonably close to Central Park.  A youth hostel would be good, as long as it's clean and safe.

Cheers, chaps  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Cycling in New York - and a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2008, 05:08:43 pm »
I can't answer your questions (never been to NY), but here's a video to enjoy meanwhile:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLW-KiRSlzk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OLW-KiRSlzk&rel=1</a>

Warning: contains nutters!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:35:16 pm »
I heart NY.  Very jealous.

make sure you go round central park - I think it's closed to traffic on Sundays and there are gazillions of bikes - and go across the brooklyn bridge and admire the view back to the City.  The ferry is cool too, if you have time... 

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:40:11 pm »
Don't use the interstate. Also - there are some "dubious" areas between MH and JFK. I was once in a cab from MH to JFK and the cabbie was falling asleep at the wheel. I took a look out of the cab and realised I'd be more likely to die outside the cab than inside.

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:46:58 pm »
There's a youth hostel up near the Park IIRC.  I've stayed there twice & liked it.  They do proper rooms as well as dorm beds. 

Don't bother getting off the boat at the Statue of Liberty island, but on Ellis Island (?) there's a fantastic museum of immigration - tells the story of all the various people who came into the US & about how they used to be processed through immigration & so on. 

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:08:54 am »
I'm off to New York next week too, I'll there for Critical Mass but alas my marriage would not survive were I to attend. I'd be interested in bike stuff too - if nothing else to avoid having to shop with my teenagers.

If you want some more local information from local people these guys are awesome:

http://times-up.org/

A real inspiration as to how run a grass roots cycle co-op and a grand scale.

great caps too.

A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:10:59 am »
I cycled from JFK to Manhatten, my RR is in the Ride Reports board. It is an insane thing to do though. I have never been to the New York Bicycle Company in Brooklyn but I would visit if I had time and probably buy a City Fixed F&F.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:23:15 am »
I take it that's on old ACF, though?  Are you still able to find it and post a link?  Most of us here can't search over there :(

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:24:14 am »
No it's here

Escape from New York

I doubt it'll offer much practical help to you though. The journey was undertaken in 1990 so things will have changed.

alchemy

« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2008, 09:40:12 am »
I'd get the bus from JFK. Drops you at Grand Central which really is Central. I think you'd be nuts to try and ride from JFK.

What to see - there's plenty of entertainment on the streets themselves  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Other than that:

The Staten Island Ferry is free and gives fantastic views of Manhattan. There's not much on Staten Island so you can turn round and get right back on it.

The Statue of Liberty itself is a complete waste of time (queues for hours to get inside and you can't stop when you're in the crown). However, there are good views from Liberty Island itself. The Immigration Museum on Ellis Island is worth the boat trip

The Strand Bookstore - more books than you've ever seen, and crammed into every possible space

The Flatiron Building - my second favourite after the Chrysler

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge

Harlem

Lower East Side, Soho, Tribeca, Chinatown, Brighton Beach (I think - it's the Russian area)

Enjoy - it's my second favourite city in the world after Melbourne - I'm very envious

I must get back and see Maria

ian

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:48:42 am »
I wouldn't ride from JFK to Manhattan unless you're very confident of your route. Things aren't as wary as the 90s but there's still some grim bits of Queens and Brooklyn where you probably don't want to be lost and jetlagged on any bling bike (and by bling, any bike that isn't 90% rust). You can take your bike on the subway - get the Airtrain to Howard Beach and from their into central Manhattan. Not fast or pretty (NYC metro stations all look like public toilets) but does the job.

I'm not a destination person, I just amble. Ellis Island tops the Statue of Liberty, but take the free Staten Island ferry, there are some good views, and it's actually worth a pootle around Staten Island, over to Snug Harbor [park] for lunch etc. Very suburban and very different to the other boroughs. Cyclists still surprise 'em. You can circumnavigate it before returning to civilization.

Take the Roosevelt Island cable car for an interesting view (there's nothing much on Roosevelt Island though, unless you like concrete, and you can get that in Elephant and Castle).

Manhattan is prime ambling territory. Traffic is fine if you're used to London. Work your away around the outsides and nibble inwards on the cross streets. Central Park gets a bit busy, I recommend taking a ride over Brooklyn Bridge, through Brooklyn, stopping to catch the view from Brooklyn Heights back across the East River to downtown Manhattan - then pick up a route through Cobble Hill and the streets beside Atlantic Ave down to Prospect Park. Take a circuitous route back through Queens. It's worth investing in a good map or spending sometime with Google - provided you avoid the expressways, there's usually plenty of routes.

Probably because I've spent a lot of time in Manhattan, I like exploring the other boroughs. Will figure out a route to City Island eventually. My holiday policy is generally to get lost as often as possible.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:09:24 pm »
I'd get the bus from JFK. Drops you at Grand Central which really is Central. I think you'd be nuts to try and ride from JFK.
Once you've gone that far, go inside to have a look at the station.

The Flatiron Building - my second favourite after the Chrysler

and if you're looking at the Flatiron building, you're very close to the Museum of Sex.

If you like dinosaurs, the New York Natural History Museum is superb. The presentation and explanations are much better than ours. I enjoyed a happy half day in there.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jakob

« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2008, 02:45:52 pm »
Guggenheim...you simply must do the Guggenheim.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »
Just back from 3 weeks in the US - including NYC (and I've been there probably 20 times before) ... a few comments :

1   I would question the wisdom of taking your Brompton - much hassle with the aeroplane, even in its nice bag etc ... and massive risk of theft - and for a short trip NY is not a cycling place.

2   Rent a bike - they have nice hybrids which are ideal for NY's crappy street surfaces - there's an outfit called Bike & Roll that rents bikes and has leaflets with routes etc .... one is across Brooklyn Bridge (on the ped/cycle part) ... it was in my plan but Mrs Robgul had other ideas - although we did walk across.  The bike path ride from Battery Park on the Hudson side looks quite good ...

3  Don't even think about thinking you can ride from JFK to Manhattan - it's some distance and you'll be knackered from 8 hours in an airline seat before you start cycling.  The bus as mentioned before is good - there's also now a train that connects to the subway (quite safe before 2000 hrs) - and it's cheap ... get a day pass Metrocard ticket that works for buses too.

4  What to see ?  - where to begin!   Best book by far is the "Top 10 New York City" guide - pocket size and about £7 from Mr Waterstone, less if you have time for Amazon (or if you're desperate PM me and you can borrow the new copy we bought this year).   

My recommendation would be to take a bus tour (starts on 8th at about 50th IIRC) to see all the major stuff quickly and efficiently and then go back for a detailed look at specifics.   Must dos are :  Staten Island Ferry as mentioned above (don't bother with the trip to Liberty - you'll see it and you can't go up it any more), Empire State Building (lots of scaffolding in the foyer last week) probably best in the evening with shorter queues ... I could go on ... see the Top 10 book.

5  I would really think twice about expecting to cycle around the streets - the grid is easy to negotiate but distances are quite great and road surfaces are poor .... and the yellow cabs pay no heed to cyclists, nor do most drivers. Safe bike parking is non-existent - and a folder wouldn't be allowed in the "sights"   Most of the good stuff is in midtown between 34th (Empire State) and 59th (S end of Central Park) and 3rd and 8th - an area/extent which is very walkable.

6  If you are there on a Sunday rent a bike in Central Park (behind the Met by the lake) - it's great because the roads are closed to traffic on Sundays.  Do not go in the park afetr dark unless you want to be a CSI-New York customer!!!

7  Shopping - the rate makes everything outstanding value - but I saw very few bike or outdoor/sports shops in Manhattan - AFAIK the major emporia are way out of town.   Mrs Robgul managed to clear the stock in several branches of Banana Republic!!

Finally - NY is just like the films : yellow cabs, amazing buildings, steam coming out of manhole covers in the streets, a vast mix of people ... a 24 hour buzz ... you can get a haircut at 3 in the morning!

You WILL enjoy the place!

Rob

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2008, 07:17:44 pm »
thinking about it some more, +1 for most of what Rob said - I cant remember ever seeing bike parking anywhere - it's just dodgy, rusty, BSOs chained to lampposts.   I think I'd hire something.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2008, 01:03:41 pm »
From what I read on the CM-list NY is a no go for CM as the police are coming down hard on the CM'er. So there is plenty of hide and seek at first and the numbers has dropped because of that.

What else I hear NY is great for riding and if you go away from the central bit you should have parks, road etc

Do a google for cycling in New York City
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2008, 01:25:52 pm »
On further reflection ... I would be inclined to take all NYC cycling maps and recommendations with the proverbial pinch of salt .... they are openly trying to "sell" cycling

For a first-time visitor there is so much to do that a bike would be a nuisance, save for the couple of comments in my earlier post.   Your "value for money" from the trip will be diminished if you are worrying about a bike and cycling.

SO :   Go to NY - have a look around at the main must-do sights ... make your own assessments on cycling .... come home and immediately book to go again for longer!!

Rob

ian

« Reply #17 on: 27 May, 2008, 03:02:07 pm »
thinking about it some more, +1 for most of what Rob said - I cant remember ever seeing bike parking anywhere - it's just dodgy, rusty, BSOs chained to lampposts.   I think I'd hire something.

Bike parking is (still) essentially nonexistent. It's a case of finding appropriate street furniture and making do. I wouldn't take a bike if you're planning to do things (museums etc.) since you'll need to take this approach. OK, if you're riding a hack, not so for anything bling (remember the 90% rust rule). Biking is fine if you're OK with seeing the outside of stuff and generally just covering some ground and soaking up the atmosphere.

Hiring a bike when you need one is probably a better bet. That way you're not tied and you can pick the mode of transport that suits (walk, bike, public transport - and note that cabs are lot cheaper but expect to give directions).

« Reply #18 on: 28 May, 2008, 12:53:05 am »
Get yourself onto the Fixed Gear Gallery forum for bike shops in New York.
Likewise, the same people probably know where the camping shops are. Buy or read a copy of Outside Magazine in Borders and take down addresses from the back?

Apart from that, wot they said. It's been more than 12 years since I last went there.

Central Park is nice.

Try and cultivate a few friends of the FGG forum and see if someone will take you out and lend you a bike.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:13:00 am »
I would do, but it's the day after tomorrow...

I haven't even booked up anywhere to stay yet (although I've decided to stay in a dorm in a cheap hostel and spend what I would have spent onna nice hotel onna GPS...)