Author Topic: de-powering V brakes  (Read 1607 times)

de-powering V brakes
« on: 15 May, 2008, 11:01:50 am »
I set up an old hybrid for one of the kids on the weekend. Everything works, but she finds the front brake too grabby.

It's a deore V, to flat-bar levers.

Anyone have any clever tricks for de-powering a v brake?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris N

Re: de-powering V brakes
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:05:27 am »
Fit BBB or Clark's brake blocks. >:(

You can get some kind of power modulation doohickey - it's fitted to some Shimano V brakes.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:08:17 am »

You can get some kind of power modulation doohickey - it's fitted to some Shimano V brakes.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/104276.html

Some levers have the option to adjust the pull as well.  Not vanilla Deore, maybe, but I have some Tektro ones somewhere that do.

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:49:15 am »
Thanks for that, I've ordered a couple of the power modulators. Plus some cables etc
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:50:03 am »
The grabbiness could be just temporary if the brake blocks or rims are new or newly cleaned.  Also a cyclist of any age needs a while to get used to a new bike and new brakes.  So I would not rush to de-power the brakes.  The rider might really appreciate the powerful brakes once they learn how to use them.  They can be a lot of fun.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:41:54 pm »
+1 to training her to brake softly.  Once competent, she's going to find more situations where she wants more braking power (the wet, downhill, startled by a van, etc) than when she wants less.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2008, 09:56:41 am »
I've fitted the power modulators, and they are brilliant.

The brakes aren't exactly de-powered - pull hard and they still lock up the wheels. Instead, the power comes on more gradually, more like trad cantis.

Can't recommend them too highly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>