Author Topic: Trackie info required - Manchester spec BB height?  (Read 1724 times)

Trackie info required - Manchester spec BB height?
« on: 23 May, 2008, 09:24:44 am »
I have picked up a nice track bike to belt around Calshot on. :thumbsup: It's got 170mm cranks which, in order to be used on the wall of death banking, means the BB needs to be 'Manchester spec'.

I'm having trouble finding out what that actually is. I think it is 11" height, but have only found a passing reference to this in a classified ad for another bike. Annoyingly, the Manchester Velodrome site doesn't seem to have any info on it.

Do any of you proper trackies know what height manchester spec refers to? Also, I take it that the stated height is to the centre of the BB axle, not the bottom of the BB shell?

Ta for any info.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Trackie info required - Manchester spec BB height?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:29:37 am »
They didn't check any of the bikes we took along in 2006 (where's the video, Valiant?), so it's probably academic.

I used 48 x 16 there - 48 x 15 was better - in fact, essential to keep up - at Newport.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rollo

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:34:38 am »
See British Cycling.
They reckon 11.25" with 170mm cranks at Calshot.  I'd always assumed it was measured to the centre of the BB spindle.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:50:11 am »
I know they don't check the bikes. This is more for my personal health!

I'll be using 46x15 at Calshot, about 83" I think, as they recommend 81-84" and I already have a 48x15 on it from the previous owner who rode it at Newport.

Cheers for the link Rollo.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2008, 12:42:23 pm »
I know they don't check the bikes. This is more for my personal health!

I'll be using 46x15 at Calshot, about 83" I think, as they recommend 81-84" and I already have a 48x15 on it from the previous owner who rode it at Newport.

Cheers for the link Rollo.
And for the health of those around you!

Unless you are very long legged I would recommend 165 cranks, especially in terms of pedalling as much as clearance.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2008, 01:12:46 pm »
6'2" on a 58cm frame. BB-Saddle ~79cm. Does that count as long-legged? ??? I'd rather not change the cranks that came with it if possible (bought as a cheap alternative to the Calshot hire bikes which I inevitably have to faff with to get the setup correct).

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2008, 01:20:46 pm »
yep, sounds long legged!