Author Topic: Happy Python Day  (Read 1173 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Happy Python Day
« on: 05 October, 2019, 10:15:28 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/oct/04/monty-python-at-50-a-half-century-of-silly-walks-edible-props-and-dead-parrots?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR3RO7VZ1dWVGkTcZ9L5BcWQRSTs7ks8BLKsVZcZxps2NrpmMaC00770u_s

The first episode was broadcast 50 years ago today. I think I watched them all religiously - and recorded quite a few on an old reel-to-reel tape recorder.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Happy Python Day
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2019, 02:27:43 pm »
We rarely saw MP back then - my dad thought they were stupid.  To be honest, so did I at times, esp. the screeching "housewives", who were boring with it. They probably improved when I was away at university, but then I hardly ever watched TV.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »
I think the feature films - especially Life of Brian - have stood up to the passage of time a lot better than most of the sketches, TBH.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2019, 12:18:23 am »
I used to find Python screamingly funny, maybe I just grew out of it. Although I do still make use of obscure quotations in daily conversation...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rob

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2019, 08:35:24 am »
I spent an evening going through some old sketches on YouTube with junior.

In the eyes of a 12yr old the fish slapping dance is hilarious.

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2019, 04:39:16 pm »
The first two series were OK, by 1972 we preferred 'Up Sunday'.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=509275726565177

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:52:20 am »
My wife saw the original Parrot sketch performed. I must remember to ask her about it again sometime. Likewise, whenever a place in Britain is mentioned, she's either lived there, been there, 'done' something there.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex